“The Skiathos Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 9 Troulos B&B and Inns
South Shields, England
“The Skiathos Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

I looked forward to spending a week on Skiathos as I had not been to Greece before.
After seeing the island featured in the "Mamma Mia" film I was really excited about visiting it.
The travel brochures painted a beautiful picture of the area praising the "best beaches in Greece".
Koukanaries beach is supposed to be one of the world's best.
The day I visited, it looked drab and miserable and was lined with sunbeds and parasols. The beach was accessed over a muddy/sandy path and I had to dodge a huge puddle as it had rained very heavily the day before. Rough concrete was the next surface. Best beach? No way.
I left and went round the adjacent nature reserve. Much better. Saw several species of birds and butterflies plus mossies.
The beach at Troulos, where I was based, was attractive but also lined with sunbeds spoiling the view. Ok, people like to lie in the sun. Access to this beach was dangerous as the steps had broken away and the concrete rubble was left to clamber over or walk crab- like over a little bit of raised sand.
However all was not doom and gloom. A walk over the west end of the island, through woodland and up a steep hill brought me out onto the north coast. This is well worth the effort. The beach, Elia, was lovely though the "Beach Taverna" was tatty and expensive. (A small can of Greek lemonade was 2 euros each) Access difficult down steep paths down the cliffside. I am slightly disabled but forced myself to get to this part of the island and I was so pleased I did. Good bus service along the southern part of the island.
It is worth leaving the coastal parts of Skiathos as the rest of the island is very green and suitable for walkers.
I found the prices of drinks and food in shops quite expensive compaired to other places I have visited. This would put me off visiting any of the other Greek islands but I have learned that prices on Skiathos are higher than the others so perhaps I will pay a visit to another in the future.
The Astoria Hotel at Troulos is the place to stay. Very clean, pleasant staff and lovely buildings and grounds.
The scenery is well worth a visit and Skiathos town is a very interesting place to explore.
Try to learn a couple of Greek words like "good morning" and "thank you". The locals really seemed pleased when I attempted to communicate in their own language.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

we stayed at th Astoria july 10 to 17. we found the ambience just right, having a hectic social life at homw, its nice to take your foot off the peddle on holiday.
the rooms were similar to the £70/night rooms back home, but with a bit more splash of colour.the shower took some mastering, water goes everywhere,but i won by day 3.
the pool has quality wooden loungers, framed by beautiful flowers.
the bar is run excellently by ari. who loved to talk about his beloved olympiakos, although i did try to get him to adopt wolves as his english team.
his son works at nectar and ambrosia, alongside the greek(bulgarian) goddess with the little voice. a great plce to wile away an evening,with a penchant for complimentry cheesecake.
other eateries weenjoyed were the troulos bay hotel,lovely in the evening with the sea breeze. elias restaurant in koukanaries,set in mandrakes boutique hotel,3 bus stops down.
by day we hired a moped, 7 euros a day. 2 beaches stood out.eleni has a bar staked out with bean bags,which has a bit of ibiza about it.mandraki could be any one of a number of long haul destinations,although the one toilet was not.
on the way home the rep told us that richard gere was staying in the 5 star hotel we passed.the ladies loved that one.
we love skiathos, it is quiet, but its what you make it.
heres to watching england v greece in the world cup,in the hotel bar, next year,with ari. bring it on !

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jon-n-lynda
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

My wife and I stayed here from the 3rd to the 11th July. First impresions were good as we expected. A sort of contemporary new modern fittings mixed with greek stone theme going on. The arcitects have got it just right. Nice bar with pleasant surroundings lots of beautiful coloured trees and pots. Lovely pool area, frequented by mainly middle England resisdents who all seemed to speak in a whisper. No loud music just quietness with sunbathers reading book upon book. The Hotel is situated down a 100 metre dirt track which gives the hotel a secluded position hidden by bamboo and pretty trees. The noise from the main road does not really intrude as it may do with other hotels a lot closer to it. The staff are very efficient and work very hard although they dont show any real warmth - although this didnt bother us, just an observation.

We have spent the last few years holdaying in Turkey, therefore we noticed the cost, E3.00 for coffee in a beach Taverna, E 2.50 in the hotel. Irish coffee in the hotel was an astounding E6.00. Most tavernas were half empty some only had a few occupants. Think they need to lower their prices because next year it will be much worse me thinks.
We have been spoiled in Turkey £20 for two on boats trips. The main trips for Skiathos tourists looked like cattle lorries, the alternative a day sailing on a Yacht was to cost E120 for two.

We found the best way around the islands was on a quad bike great fun and only E100 for five days. We went to 12 beaches the best for us was the beach at Troulous.

The best Taverna for us was Captain Nickos and The Big Bad Wolf nearer Kouk
All in all a great holiday and will go back one day

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank abboWirral
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troulos
Atrium Hotel
#3 of 11 in Koukounaries
La Luna Hotel
La Luna Hotel
#2 of 9 in Troulos

Been to Astoria Hotel? Share your experiences!