Astoria Hotel
$154
$82
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 41% below average rates

The price you found is 41% lower than this hotel's average rate of $140/night.

Skiathos Princess Hotel(Agia Paraskevi)
$307
$298
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Atrium Hotel(Agia Paraskevi)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsharry's barwet roomlovely hotelthe main roadbus stopcold meatsskiathos townratatouillecoffee machinetroulos beachthe breakfast areachoice of cerealsair conhotel is situatedyogurtpool areasmall lane
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This was our first time in Skiathos and we will definitely return as it is a fabulous island. The Astoria is spotlessly clean, the maid service is excellent. We had a first floor room which had a small balcony overlooking the garden. The shower room was fine although we did soak the floor a couple of times. We didn't have a problem getting hot water and the pressure allowed a good shower when washing hair etc.
The hotel is down a dirt track just off the main road. There is only one main road on the island and it can be noisy and busy with motorbikes and quad bikes galore! The one big problem we had was the mozzies!!!! We have been going abroad at this time of year for many years and have never ever been bitten. This year we were both bitten many times and talking to other people, we weren't the only ones! I think it was a freak year for the horrible little creatures! I spoke to someone who had been to Skiathos 9 years in a row and had never been bitten before this year! Having said that, it won't put me off going again next year :) Tip - take a swatter!
The air con was 7 euros a day but was superb and worth it! Breakfast was fine, a bit busy at times but no real problem. One thing I didn't realise before I went was that safety deposit boxes are not in the rooms, they are in the hotel office. I have been used to using safes in the room but it wasn't a problem in the end and I felt quite happy that things were kept safe. Staff at the Astoria are efficient and helpful. I had a cocktail made by Harry on the last evening which was the best I have ever had!
Troulos is lovely and for us, the best resort to choose on the island. There are plenty of fabulous tavernas within a few minutes walk of the Astoria, some of the best being Sunrise, Villa Rosa and the Troulos Bay Hotel on the beach. We ate in several places both in Troulos and Skiathos Town and never had a poor meal. Chrystakis Sports bar is just up the track where you can watch loads of sport - we watched Formula 1,football and athletics there one day and enjoyed the banter from the Man City and Man Utd supporters. Chrystakis is a very reasonable bar too with good food and excellent service.
While you are on the island, you should (if you are an animal lover) visit the Skiathos Dog Sanctuary which you can walk to from the Astoria in about an hour. It's a lovely walk for those who want to burn up a few calories from extra Greek yoghurt and honey or Mythos. When you get there, you can walk the dogs down a dirt track as far as you wish. I really enjoyed it! There is a tiny monastery near the dog place too which is worth seeing.
The bus service is fab, you can get a bus from the main road not far from Astoria which travels into Skiathos Town one way and Koukounaries the other. We went to Skiathos Town several times and found it really pretty and interesting - do the town walk with the guides if you can! Bus journeys cost 2 euros max. on the bus and they run every 15 minutes. We walked into Koukounaries which doesn't take long. A taxi to Skiathos Town costs about 15 euros 1 way although a couple of times we were picked up by a taxi while waiting for the bus and taken into town for the price of a bus fare!
In Skiathos Town we liked SeaU taverna on the front in the Old Port -large Mythos 2 euros and excellent food and service.
We went on 2 boat trips, Island Hop to Skopelos and Alonyssos and a round the island trip calling at the fabulous Lalaria beach which is to die for!
There are several supermarkets in Troulos, we used the little Victoria supermarket just opposite Chrystakis bar where they change travellers cheques at 2% which is cheaper than the bank. The lady who works there is really nice and friendly and the prices are good. There are no banks and no ATM machines in any towns except Skiathos Town and I doubt those preloaded cards would be accepted so be prepared!
The beach at Troulos was fine for us, always plenty of sunbedsat 8 euros a pair with a sun umbrella. Little fish, and often bigger fish swam around our feet!
We went with Thomas Cook and the rep Angela was really good, always had time for people!
The runway is the 3rd shortest in Europe and we spent a very interesting morning watching planes arrive and depart - don't get too close though!
Skiathos grew on us as the fortnight went on and I am already looking at a return in 2011!

2  Thank JudyWestMids
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Wehave just returned from our first holiday in Skiathos and the Astoria Hotel.

We booked with thomsons and had a thomas cook flight, rep at airport really good, flights good but leg room not good for my husband 6'2., after chatting to other guests though did find we had paid £200 more for our weeks holiday bit disappointing all that said we were given a lovely ground floor room overlooking the gardens and pool, it was really nice to sit out really peaceful and quiet, the room was not big but adequate very modern with lovely comfy beds and lovely quality sheets,, which were change twice in our weeks stay nice bathroom as well our shower was off the wall when when we arrived reported to rep and was fixed within 2 hours,

The bar area again very good modern in a contempory style, bar ran by Harry, good cocktails.

The breakfasts were good eggs every day and rotated with mushrooms bacon and sausages, cereals, fruit, ham and cheese plenty to eat, it did get busy around 9 o'clock but still plenty of seats inside and out.

Pool again very nice if a bit quiet for us everyone liked ot read all day!!! we called it the library!! you felt like you had to whisper, hence we only had 1 swim felt better to go our and visit the lovely beaches, first Troulos 3 mins walk down track and over the road lovely beach 3 nice tavernas there,next we wentt to was Koukanaries which we thought could not be beaten until we went to Banana beach, up quite a steep hill then down long dusty bank, but wow when you got there took about 15 mins from bus stop what a place quiet in morning from 10 am then in after noon the place really got going like a party in Ibiza we are in our late 40's but loved it really enjoyed people watching and the great music with live DJ's the drinks were however quite expensive 8 euros for 2 small beers but we thought worth it as such a great happening place, the sea and sand were perfect with showers on the beach to wash off the salt.

The local restaurants seemed nice we visited Ambrosia and Nectre which was lovely gorgeous fillet steak one night and kleftico another really nice house ~Rose wine reasonable priced as well.

Good bus service only 2 euros, only problem bit overcrowded 8:30 till 9:30 other times were fine, the main road bit tricky as no paths but not a problem really to us ( no children)

Skiathos town was something special loads of little streets to wander around, to sit and people watch, the harbour again was something to see especially on an evening when all the boats put on their lights and show off!! best restaurant Alexandro's( in the street under a large olive tree with live greek music) in old port, Palouki steak house very good service from waiters but steak tasted nice if a little tough, Ambrosia and Nectre our favourite in Troulos, fab fillet steaks with pepper sauce, lovely veg, Kleftico and beef staffado also fab as was house rose wine

We went over to Arko one night on evening cruise it was a really nice sail over to a really small quaint beach followed by the most fantastic sun set ( take your cameras) a really nice barbecue and greek dancing everyone joined in which made it a really fun evening

All in all we had a fantastic time and felt we had not seen it all 1 week not enough we will definately be back in the future

4  Thank jamest581
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This was my second time staying at the Astoria, my third in Skiathos, and I can't wait to go back. The hotel is so sophisticated and spotlessly clean, and Harry's knowledge of football (especially now he's such a big BRISTOL ROVERS fan!) knows no bounds.
Thank you, once again, for a restful holiday, full of lots of your lovely Greek sunshine :-)
Allan and Claire

2  Thank Claire B
Reviewed August 28, 2011

nice room overlooking gardens nice bar area 350 eur0 pint 7 euro cocktail nice swiming pool good breakast selection staff friendly good bus service downside food not very good in local restauraunts eg powderd mash frozen veg sunrise taverna alexandros taverna in skiathos town uneatable lamb chops food microwaved never had anice meal the week we were there allthough skiathos is a lovely island we will not be going back to expensive poor quality food tom and gerry

2  Thank Tom C
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed at the Astoria the last week of June with my friend,we go away to a different Greek island every year but we enjoyed it here so much we are considering going back next year. I had also taken a chance and booked the same holiday for myself and my husband,we go in a few days and i agree with everything other reviewer's have said.The hotel is in beautiful gardens,the rooms are cleaned to a high standard and yes Harry does work very hard along with everyone else it seemed.We booked with Thomson and i had booked the second holiday with Thomas Cook before we left but either way you fly with Thomas Cook and that is my only concern because when seated there is nowhere to put your legs,it was my first flight with this airline and i have never been so uncomfortable,when i landed my legs looked badly bruised behind my knees but it turned out to be the veins and they settled within a day or so,never the less i find this worrying.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends