“Don't Do It, pay more, go else where”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Letsos

Hotel Letsos
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Alykanas
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't Do It, pay more, go else where”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

The positives:- Hotel looks great from outside, good size pool, always get sun beds, food from bar as good as any restaurant and good value for money (staff could be rude at times), good location to beach etc.(lovely sandy beach)

I have done cheap and cheerful holidays before so my expectations were not high.

The negatives :- the accommodation is so bad it's laughable. Started with the cost of air-con while at reception (200 euro's for 21 nights), then spent the whole 3 weeks complaining it didn't work (was given a free fan though). Very limited utilities (we were self catering), the hot plate did not get hot enough to boil a cup of water (waited 18 minutes and gave up). The third bed so bad my son slept on the floor. Drain backed up every time you used the shower, flooded the bathroom and the hallway. One of my son's decided to have a bath one evening, after pulling the plug to drain the water, he literally flooded the whole apartment (imagine a bath full of water on your living room floor) The shower tap had a constant leak of hot water, started as a small drip, by the time we left it was like someone had left the tap on. It became that bad that it burnt your leg when having a shower (one positive, at least we had hot water unlike most other guest we spoke to). The toilet stopped working, after flushing the tank would not refill, had to use the kettle(we had to pay for to get boiling water) to fill it, took four days to get repaired. The maid did try her best cleaning, but not up to standard (not a major problem, after buying some cleaning materials I did it myself).
At a restaurant one evening, the staff laughed when I told them where I was staying, they called it the Animal Zoo, due to the mosquito's and mice. I definitely suffered from the mosquito's (bit every night) but no mice. Other guests said they did have mice (hard to believe but true).

As well as similar issues as myself, other guests complained of no hot water, some no water at all, some apartments the electricity went off continuously (not power cuts as you would expect).

If all you need your apartment for is to store your clothes, then I would recommend it, otherwise steer clear.

Overall a great shame as I'm sure that at one time this was a great hotel, but it is now worn out with no money spent on maintenance, not sure how its maintained its 3 star rating.

If you can't avoid, at least be prepared for what you are going to experience.

4 Thank corn927

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

My dear fellow human beings,it is a short message for all of you,Alykanas is a beautiful,beautiful little place,with usual Greek hospitality,beautiful tavernas and amazing beach.Our experience with Letsos hotel was unfortunately totally different experience.We had two rooms booked and stayed 15 nights .
We knew from our travel agent that air conditioning is locally charged and that wasn't our complaint,we paid 200 euros on the arrival ,Yannis was at reception and was quite friendly when he was welcoming us,he spoke good English .Our issue in one room(Room1) was that air conditioning wasn't working as air conditioning unit but as a fan just blowing air, so in the morning we were covered in sweat,in other room(Room2) air con couldn't be adjusted,various remote controls that we were given didn't work,so it could be only be switched on trough a fuse box which was at the entrance to the room and was on only one setting which made room freezing ,so in order to switch it off you had to go to the fuse box and do it.Just for the people who are not familiar with air con units to explain that air con unit has remote control where you set your desired temperature and air con unit automatically maintains that desired temperature.Another issue with this room was that you didn't really need a key to enter it ,all you had to do was push the door ,and it would open!
Now when we had to deal with this issues we met different person at reception,it was the same guy Yannis,but now he acted as he didn't speak English so well (we later learned that he is infamous for this)and was defending all our complaints with a raised aggressive voice and in the manner as we are at his inconvenience and that we should cope with this because hotel is full and that he can't help.He agreed after lengthy argument that he will change room2 to another room in one day,for room1 his son came and changed setting on remote control and said that is the reason why it didn't cool.
After second night I realized that room1 air con wasn't fixed with change of setting and the unit was still only blowing air.
I told this following morning to Yannis who raised the bar of aggressiveness and told me how I always have problems .I was then given the keys to swap room2 for the other one,and that room was different building around 100 meters away,when me and my dad came to open the door,we couldn't , the key wouldn't open the lock.When I came back ,he told me that previous people could get in so how I can't?,and that he can't help me as his helper is sleeping I need to come back in half hour...Just to mention that I came all the way from the beach to swap the room and that my parents suitcases were 100 meters away in front of the room that we can't open ,so what he wanted us to do was ,to come back from there and wait at reception for his helper to wake up!!!....After another lengthy argument he gave me a master key!!!YES that can open any other door in the hotel!!
We entered the room ,and first thing I checked was air con unit ,it was the same issue as in room1 ,it was only blowing air...
He was furious when I told him this and then he called me crazy(shouting) and that I only have problems,he then asked for master key back,and sent his helper who was now awake to check why we cant open the room.He was playing with a key and a door lock for a 2-3 minutes ,pushing the key in and out endless times ,he bent the key in the process and finally opened the door,then looked at me and as he wasn't speaking any English he shrugged his shoulders as to say,what's the problem I opened the door.I couldn't believe this,I came back to reception,and I demanded for the lock to be fixed,Yannis called his daughter as he was pretending not to speak English very well who told me that i shouldn't expect them to change the lock that costs 200 euros just because we have problem going inside the room!!!,and then Yannis came with solution which should sum up my experience,he bent down under reception desk and gave me WD40 to go and oil the lock.Let me repeat this,I was given WD40 on my holiday,to fix the door lock of my hotel room!!!This was so humiliating ..I didn't have or wasn't given any other option ,as far as they were concerned his helper opened the room,so if I want to make it better my dear fellow human beings I was given WD40,and went back to the room and was oiling door lock and spent next 30 minutes opening the room......WD40 made things better,and we had to oil bathroom window lock as well as that was hard to open too...I stopped talking to Yannis after that and my only communications was with English lady Mel who doesn't have any power there,but at least she was polite and understanding,and managed to persuade Yanisse's son to check our air con unit one more time,after 5th day he finally acknowledged that our air con doesn't work and agreed to call repair man.On our 7th air con was finally fixed .Unfortunately that is not all.. another big issue is that this hotel seems to have problems with electricity supply,our room1 electricity was cutting off 2-3 times a night,I wouldn't be surprised that this was deliberate act,because when i asked English lady who had room next to us ,she didn't have the same issue...
Linen was changed only once during our 15 nights holiday,towels only twice.
For the sake of this hotel as it's family run business Yannis needs to be removed from the reception and let someone else be in charge.Hotel also needs to invest in maintenance of air con units and other important things such as locks and hinges.Linen needs to be changed twice a week as well as towels,also kettle needs to be standard equipment and full set of cutlery for the people who want to do self catering,otherwise this hotel is going to lose all hotel suppliers,we learned that last year hotel lost Thomas Cook,and they clearly didn't learned the lesson.
However we had this experience it still makes me sad that hotel with such potential is being ill managed and I hope that this hotel family will persuade Yannis that he leaves managing hotel to people who know how!Great ,great shame.
We will definitely visit Alykanas again ,but until things change in Letsos hotel ,we will have to find alternative accommodation,and we hope that one day we can stay in this hotel again when things change to the better.
Thank you for reading and be in love.

6 Thank HopeForBetter2013

Travelers are raving about these Alykanas hotels

mold
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

After reading the reviews on here my wife and i were a little worried but to be honest it was not too bad for the price we paid £224 for a week the room was basic but clean and tidy we didnt use the cooking facilities as we ate out everyday the maid came in 5 times during the week with clean towels and sheets every time the only problem we had was the mosquitos we have bites everywhere zante is a lovely island but we wont be going back

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank martyMold
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

It's Greece, it's basic. It's not expensive. After staying here for the second time I am so pleased with my choice again. We received a lovely warm welcome. Yannis was kind, helpful and always around to say good morning/evening. Mel, is very professional and does an amazing job. Our room was cleaned everyday for 2 weeks. Clean towels and bed linen were also changed everyday.
We have stayed at 4 different accommodations in Alykanas over the past 8 years and they all charge 50 euros per week for air con and 20/25 euros for a safe . The Letsos is no different, they all charge these amounts when you arrive.
I truly can't complain. I paid basic money for basic accommodation and will be going back next year.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank KentSupershopper
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

upon our arrival at 6.30am, we were told you have to make a decision now if you want air con, i said we will decide tomorrow but were told you have to make a decision now!! This started at 80euros and we got him down to 45. then we had to hire a safe for an additional 15euros. the hotel room was basic, no kettle and only two saucepans to cook with. The 2 glasses provided were disgusting so we had to buy new cups. We were there for a week and had to complain that after the 5th day we hadnt had our room cleaned and no clean towels! This lead to the cleaner coming in the following day and a note left on our bed saying we had to be out of the apartment that night or rent another room for a further 50euros! even though this 7th day should have been covered. We were on the top level, unaware there was an attic room of which they also rented out, this was hired by a very noisy family of which at 3-4 in the morning came back and you could hear every word they said, obviously fresh back from laganas!. Even when i hired cars and met greek people of which remembered me as ive been to zante afew times, all laughed or held their heads when i said we were at the letsos says it all. On a good note, the pool was nice and the poolside bar staff were nice. I have always stayed in alykes, and as everywhere was booked up there, decided to try this hotel in alykanas, it is two very different places tho so close together. Alykes all the way! On the whole, the holiday was a last minute booking, so not bad for the money, but next time i will pay more for a better venue.

2 Thank 770karl
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

After reading numerous bad reports about this hotel i too was also worried about staying here, I called the hotel to enquire if we had booked a basic room and the ever helpful Mel advised me that the maisonettes were in the newer part of the complex.
Yannis aka John who is the owner was friendly enough. He works extremely hard and is often in the reception from 8am till gone midnight. Give him a daily hello and smile and he is more than friendly( his english is limited so please remember this )
Mel is very friendly and can offer you lots of info on the area.

Rooms:
you get what you pay for when it comes to the room, the basic rooms are basic typical greek, pay more and you'll get a more modern version.
As i mentioned before we had a maisonette that sleeps 4, we had a partial seaview, the cooking facilities were adequate but to be honest we didn't cook in the room at all.
People are moaning about a lack of kettle, just boil the water in a pan if you want a cuppa.
The rooms get cleaned every day, they would sweep the floor, mop it, empty the bins and top up the loo roll.
It is a basic room clean and this is an area that maybe could be improved on but i suspect that the maids are very stretched. I took some cleaning wipes to just wipe down the bathroom and kitchen on occasion.
The kids bedroom was great, they had a little staircase that lead to a mezzanine floor, they had their own air con so this kept them cool at night.
We had a couple of power cuts but as soon as this was reported to Yannis it was sorted.
The walls are very thin so you do tend to hear people coming back at night so try to remember your fellow holiday makers if you have a late night return.

Food:
the hotel offers continental breakfast, lunch and dinner in the restaurant. This was a very affordable way to eat ranging from 4-6 euros pp. It was usually a buffet with limited choice but was fine. Due to its price it was a busy affair.
The snack bar offers a full english and snacks throughout the day.

Pool/Hotel and Facilities
We never had to reserve a sunbed at the pool, we always managed to get one no matter what time of day we turned up unlike our friends who were staying at the alykanas village.
They have a little play area for little kids.
The public rooms are lovely and pleasantly furnished to a high standard but could do with a little more house keeping, the corridors should really have the lights on at all times and not just at night as this could be dangerous especially around the stair area as it does get quite dark even in the day. But these are little things that could be tweaked.

Location:
This hotel is a 5 min walk to the beach where you can hire sunbeds for 5euros for 2, there are watersports available. The beach is fab for families, really shallow for little ones.
The Letsos is surround by many lovely restaurants and bars which are open to late.
Our average meal out at night was 57euros incl a tip for a family of 4, this was for a main course, pudding and a couple of drinks each.

Trips and days out:
We hired a car for 2 days and explored the north which was very picturesque, stopping off for a drink and meal in a lovely typically greek taverna.
We also went to the south on our second day but this was lots busier so we didn't really enjoy this as much.
We went to the Water Village water park for the afternoon, if you go after 4 you get a reduced rate. There are plenty of thrilling slides and a lovely little ones area too. check out you tube for videos of the slides.

We also hired our very own boat and went up to the blue caves, this cost 75 euros and had the boat from 9.30-3.30. it was a fun way to see the coast and stop off at some nice swimming areas.

We also went on the Road Train up to a lovely village for a Greek Night, this was a great night with lots of laughs.

Overall our stay at the Letsos was great, a simple smile and hello to Yannis on reception everyday will help you to see he is not a grumpy man, he's just trying to make a living like the rest of us in life.
Too many people complain about the simple things, you're in Greece and this is a 3 star complex not a 5 star all inclusive, the room rates are very cheap, we paid flexible trips £440 for 11 nights and the hotel gets 360 euros!!! you wouldn't get a caravan in england for less than £800 in Aug, its the the flights are the most expensive part of your holiday price.

extra info...

A taxi will cost approx 30 euros each way from the airport.
Doctors in the resort
Cash point in the resort although many restaurants will buy your £'s for a better rate.

Room Tip: Pay for the newer rooms if you don't want basic.