“Great family holiday !”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alykanas
Alykanas Village Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Alykanas
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Just returned from our second stay at the Alykanas Village hotel - and have to say I can't wait to go back again !

When we visited last year we were given a room with a view of a field and a cow - despite nearly all the rooms in the hotel having a pool and/or sea view. We asked to be moved but were told there were no alternatives available. Eager not to have the same view this year, we emailed and telephoned the hotel before our arrival requesting a pool/sea view. When we arrived we were over the moon to have been allocated a two-bedroom apartment with both a pool and sea view - fantastic. However, after two days I received a call from reception stating that we had been allocated this room by mistake and we would have to pack up and move. Needless to say we were not very happy at all. We spoke with the Thompson reps and eventually the issue was resolved. We were moved to a studio still with a pool view. This was the only disappointment during our holiday.

All rooms have had a fab makeover with more than enough self-catering equipment. The new water park is a fabulous addition but, as others have said, would benefit from some shade and more places to sit - but that doesn't bother the kids - they love it !

The pools are all great and the Entertainments team work so hard with a variety of games/activites during the day - including pool party at 4pm when they get in the pool and let all the kids splash them. They have a few hours off before they then provide the evening entertainment in the Venue bar, ending with the club dances - always a big hit. Tickly Tash and Iced Gem were amazing - always jolly and happy - my son, Ben, was so upset when we had to say goodbye to them.
Another favourite for us was the reps vs guests event every Saturday and Guinness World Records day - where you can attempt to break certain records - still waiting for confirmation that my other half has broken the record for shortest time for putting 20 coins into a piggy bank blindfolded !!!
The great thing about this hotel is that you can have great family time with the kids around the pool, or if you prefer, you can sit by the pool overlooking the sea which is a lot quieter.
The on-site cafe/restaurant provides lovely food/snacks and the staff are friendly and helpful. You must try their Greek style chicken - yum !

There are a lot of dogs wandering around and, although they are strays, they don't look like it. Fell in love with one of them and wish I could have brought him home ! They don't bother you if you leave them alone - actually saw some people let them into their rooms - you can't do that and then expect the dog not to want to do that every day.

The resort itself is small and friendly with great restaurants. My absolute favourite is the Neraida - just along the beach from the hotel where you can watch the sun set whilst listening to the live bazouki music - paradise ! Also like the Lemon Tree and Vrisaki.

If you are planning any excursions/trips then I definitely recommend specialoffers.gr - competitively priced (much cheaper than Thompson) and the guide, Sue, is very friendly and knowledgable. We went to see the Loggerhead Turtles this year - saw three which was truly amazing. Last year we went to see the shipwreck with the same company, which was another great day out.

All in all this is a truly great destination for a family holiday - the weather was fabulous and never had a problem getting a sunbed as we just got up early and got one. Highly recommended and I simply cannot wait to go back - I hope it will be sooner rather than later ! One request - please, please Thompson do not make this an all-inclusive resort - it works very well the way it is.

1  Thank hollydolly50

Reviewed June 11, 2012

A pity the staff allow the dogs free reign in and around the hotel. Most establishments in the resort do not allow the stray dogs to lie against restaraunt tables begging, to lie on the sun beds, to lie on the lounge sofas and scavange in the bins but the apparent small staff presence to not seem to have the will or numbers to control the situation.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank john W
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We have just returned from a week long stay at the Alykanas Village Hotel. The hotel is great and there are only some minor criticisms from us.

The hotel itself is really nice, in a great location. However there are nowhere near enough sunbeds. Bearing in mind this hotel has circa 150 rooms and each on average sleep 4 people it doesn't have more than 230 beds in total. This leads to people getting up really early and putting their towels down and then maybe not returning until nearly lunchtime (or beyond). The Reps will then walk around the pool at about 10 taking the towels off the beds and taking them to reception for these people to retrieve, which is fair enough, but for a hotel this size there should be a lot more beds available. As for the dogs mentioned by other posters, yes they are clearly hanging around but they are no bother on the whole, unless you were the poor lady that my husband watched come back from the mini market with two bags of shopping early one morning. She was quite literally surrounded by five dogs each jumping up at her to get a look at what was in her bags. To be honest some of the children around the pool were more of a menace to the dogs on more than one occasion. On a couple of occasions we'd see the dogs minding their own business and various children would come along and squirt them with their water squirters, causing the dogs to seek solace in between the sunbeds or even on the sunbeds!

The pools themselves are great. There are three pools which our children loved, plus the hotel has it's own small splash park, which they thought was fantastic. There is also a snack bar which sells great snacks throughout the day. Based on other holidays in Greece we have had it is also reasonable priced.

Safety deposit boxes are 25€ per week and there is free wifi in the reception area which is great.

We were given a pool facing studio for 4 which was lovely, well appointed, plenty of room and recently refurbished if the photos on Thomson's website is anything to go by. The room had plenty of self-catering equipment if you needed it. However although the studio was for four, there were only three chairs at the small table inside and only three at the small table on the balcony. Upon looking at some other balconies it would seem that this was the norm regardless of how many people your studio / apartment housed. Only a minor point but you don't really want to be moving chairs every time you want to sit down as a family. Second point it was great to have a bath with a shower attachment but the water pressure was very low in the late afternoon/ early evening and sometimes the water would stop all together, only for 20 seconds at the most, but when you are stood there with a head full of shampoo you do wonder whether it will ever start again.

The rooms are cleaned every day to a high standard and the staff were great. Upon asking whether we could hire the remote control for the Air Conditioning the lady at reception asked us whether we were sure we wanted it as it does get quite cool at night and she didn't want us to waste our money. Really refreshing that she said this to us as she could have quite easily took our money and we would have none the wiser.

The Mini Market on site was reasonably priced and had most of the essentials, always staffed by really friendly people.

Alykanas is a great little resport. It is on the small side but just up the road you have the resort of Alykes. There are plenty of restaurants in Alykanas with lots of choice. We like traditional Greek Tavernas so in Alykanas we liked The Lemon Tree, Sweet Memories and Apollo 2. We also took a horse and carriage ride over to  Alykes to try some of the Tavernas over there.

And finally the Thomson reps & Entertainment team who are a very friendly, helpful and fun bunch of people.  Our eldest daughter loved the sessions run by the children's entertainment team, however there were two things that made me mark down the overall rating. On occasion we did feel very pressurised to join in the activities by the pool. We favour holidays where we can relax, read a book and top up our tans, therefore we don't want to feel like we must join in all the time or made to feel guilty because an activity has been cancelled due to 'lack of numbers'.  Second point whilst sitting in reception using the wifi I heard another guest and the head rep talking to one of the kids team. The guest's daughter was going to be three in the next week and a half and she was therefore wondering whether her daughter could join the tots sessions as she was so close to being 3. The member of the kids team said that she couldn't because it was against health and safety  / insurance rules, the guest said she would be willing to sign a disclaimer and surprisingly the head rep joined in saying 'yeah what if she signed something'. Whilst it is entirely up to the guest if that's what she was prepared to do, I was shocked that the head rep would condone this. The member of the kids team did keep saying no but she would check with her boss. I don't know what the outcome was but it did surprise me as we also have a daughter who is a similar age and I would be quite taken a back if someone took such an attitude with regard to my daughter's safety.

However we really did enjoy our holiday and I would definitely go back to Alykanas and the Alykanas Village Hotel.

4  Thank 3008robs
Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Had a weeks stay in June over the jubilee weekend so needless to say this wasn't cheap. I have to say the hotel and location where great. The staff and reps seemed nice, although the wife and I found all the kiddy stuff a bit much but we just went to the beach if we wanted peace. And in fairness we wanted a family resort over a loud clubby type place.
My only 2 criticisms are: the constant reserving of sunbeds which the reps were trying to crackdown on, I mean somedays towels where down at 9 am and nobody sat on them til 4pm its not acceptable and I think the hotel needs to look at its policies. The 2nd criticism is the charging for air conditioning. We paid a lot for this holiday and it seems money grabbing €8 a day. I've never had to pay in some dives I've stayed in in the states and if a Greek traveller came to London in December it would be like charging them for heating. Anyway moan over on the whole a great holiday at a great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Alastair80
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Before I review the hotel and the resort itself I thought it worth mentioning that we had absolutely no problems resulting from the situation in Greece at the moment. We were able to get cash out of at least one of the 2 cash machines in Alykanas whenever we wanted it and we certainly didn't find any other problems along the way. All the restaurants have kept their pricing the same as last year although I would say that most would now prefer to be paid in cash rather than on a card but I can understand why. If you want to play it safe then take a bit more cash with you and some travellers cheques - there are lots of places that will change travellers cheques and give a good rate as well with no commission. I'm so pleased we returned again this year and didn't get put off by the bad PR that is being circulated.

On to the hotel. The Village continues to be a perfect place for families looking for lots of activities and a great time. If you want a peaceful quite holiday without the noise of kids enjoying themselves then this isn't the place for you but if you want your children to be entertained with a great kids clubs and good entertainers then this is perfect. It's a lively place in the day but quiet in the evening so we always got a good night's sleep.

My boys, aged 6 & 8 particularly enjoyed the footie sessions every morning for about 3/4 hr so big thanks to Andy for that one. This year they probably didn't make as much use of the kids club as we were doing other things but when they did go they enjoyed it. Pools and the new splash park were great. I agree with one of the previous reviews that the Splash park could do with some additional seating/sunbeds but from the space that has been provided it looks as those they may appear at some point in the season. I also agree that more sunbeds are needed around the main pool. A few more arrived when were there but there is still plenty more room for others without it being crowded. If you want to escape the pool for the day then the beach is great. If you go down to the beach and turn right and head up to the top of the beach you'll find it much quieter and the sea is so clear you can see all the fish swimming past your feet. The snack bars at that end of the beach are also good and it's safe to leave your towels and beach toys on your sun beds while you head off for a quick snack or ice cream.

The rooms in this hotel are large, well equipped and spotless. The cleaners do a great job and are always very pleasant. Clean towels are provided every two days and I think the sheets were changed about 3 times in 10 days which is fine. Lots of equipment in the kitchen if you need it.

The dogs around the hotel have been mentioned in previous reviews and there did seem to be quite a few about this year but to be honest if you don't feed them then they don't bother you. They aren't in any way aggressive so there is nothing to worry about on that front but just don't leave any food around for them. The less notice you take of them the more likely they are to go back to their owners.

On to the Alykanas resort. We love this place. There is a good selection of restaurants with many serving good Greek food. We had good meals at Apollo, Stonebridge, the Lemon Tree, Paradissiacio and also the one at the end of the beach which I can't remember the name of. Paradisiacio (which I've probably spelt wrong) is our favourite. This one is just outside the village on the main road going towards Alykes. There are still many more restaurants that we haven't mentioned but we haven't tried them all yet so we'll just have to go back again! On average our meals were costing around 40 euros which included bread to share, four main meals, childrens and our drinks. This was about what we were spending last year and we didn't feel was expensive for the quality of food we were eating.

If you fancy a drink before or after your meals then our favourite bars were Zeus bar at the top end of the village, this has a great small chldren's play area and the lady that run it is lovely and recognised us from last year. We also love Dilemma as this has lots of good entertainment for the kids - consoles, air hockey, crazy golf etc and also some of the best cocktails in the resort They also offer free WiFi so you can download your emails while drinking a great B52. Also just opened is No Comment bar. This bar is very close to the hotel and a good place to stop on the way back after a meal. They offer free pool and also free games consoles so again a great place to enjoy a drinks while the kids are entertained.

If you fancy a trip out then it is worth visiting one of companies off site as they offer great value trips. Both last year and this year we used Special Offer Tours which is located just down from the hotel on the road that leads ot the main restaurants. The tour guide, Sue, is brilliant and really informative and their tours are really good value. Last year we went to see the Turtles and caves which was a great trip with an opportunity to dive in to the sea and do some snorkelling as well and this year we visited Smugglers Cove. Both great trips but I think we probably enjoyed Turtles the most. Cost for each trip was about 70 euros which included two adults and two children.

I don't think there is much else to say apart from we'll be back again next year as we just love it hear. We've travelled all around the world and have always tried to go somewhere new every year but now we've found Alykanas we're just a bit hooked on the place.

Hope you all have a great time!

11  Thank Meadsy
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Visited in may for the second time (original visit Sept 2010) and I am delighted that the hotel continues to be a fantastic resort for families with smaller children. Rooms have had a make over and are super clean and have all the basics you need. Maid service daily is excellent and clean towels regularly. New kids splash zone is open which my older kids (5 and 2) enjoyed and there is a lifeguard but parental supervision is essential. The central pools (kids pool, sports pool and large pool) are clean but too cold for me although my one year old was far braver than me. Reception staff are very friendly and helpful and the hotel is run by Gloria an excellent hotelier with exacting standards but very friendly. She was great and arranged a birthday cake for me as my youngest was celebrating his first birthday during our stay. Snack bar is handy and food is good but not very cheap and menu u changing so can be monotonous but staff great. Thomson reps were helpful and friendly even though early in the season still had to learn a bit more about the resort. Ents team great at keeping kids entertained and we loved the afternoon quiz! But my heros are the kids club and crèche staff. All were really great with the kids and really work hard at keeping kids having fun. Hard work as anyone with young ones can testify to. We regularly went to the kids party at 8.30 at night which was a great way to finally tire out the kids. Ents team and kids club team do a great job and of course Thomson the dog is a highlight! Will definitely return but I hear the resort may go all inclusive which may put us off as its lovely trying all the different local restaurants. Come on Thomson not all of us want to be coraled in a hotel some former independent travellers now with kids want the advantage of kids club but independence of eating out.

Room Tip: Block 1 looks out over the sea to kefalonia.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank dougalandpoppy1
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Hotel is fine and clean but in a very quite location with a lot of kids. Just need to take enough cash to this island as the ATMs are out of service all the time and the local shops and resturantes not accept the credit cards.The so call super markets are so so expensive and no fresh meats or chickens in the shop( you have to order them in advance) a whole fresh chicken in the town centre is 10 euros. foods are so expensive in this island. i wonder how people survive with the econamic crisess.an onion is 0.40 euro ,a loaf of toast is 2 euros.table salt 50 g is 1 euro.becons 100g is 2.5 euros. and the Greek wine are terrible. i bought 3 bottles in the shop,two of them goes into the sink.they taste like vingar.if you go out for dinner ,2 person will coast you at least 30 euros ,some is up to 50 euros for 2 person with 2 courses meal and a beer. i feel sorry for some tourist that they thought just have a few credit cards should be alright there.Many people sturggling to find the ATMs to have some money out to buy foods or eat out.my suggestion is just don't bother to go to this island as the shops are so expensive and you feel like spend money without any quality or quantity.although i do love the beautiful sea and caves in this island and the local people are really friendly and kind but just remember carry enough money with you just in case. i spend 500 uk pounds just for a week self catering and most of time i cook in the hotel room .not mention that i did take lot of stuffs from the uk to using there.

Room Tip: rooms near the pool are noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kenhsieh5555
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alykanas
Valais Hotel
#13 of 13 in Alykes
Elegance Luxury Executive Suites
Elegance Luxury Executive Suites
#153 of 276 in Zakynthos

Been to Alykanas Village Hotel? Share your experiences!