“Great Friendly Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Alykanas
surrey uk
“Great Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just returned from a great holiday at this very friendly family run hotel, Katarina and all her staff run this hotel very well and can't do enough for you. The rooms are clean as are the rest of the hotel and the beach area. The food is very good quality and price, the location is ideal right on the beach and only a stroll into the town with bars & restaurants. We will defiantly go back here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kevinh h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Czech first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed for only one night but will defintiely go back. Huge room was basic but clean with big balcony and a bath. Whole place was clean and had a friendly family run feel to it. Great location on beach. good pool with bar. Serviced sun beds on the beach as well. Bar had reasonable prices and all staff were helpful and friendly

Room Tip: at front you will have view of sea and no noise from mill behind
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TracyMRobinson
London
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I visited the hotel from 30th July for 2 weeks. My choice of hotel was chosen solely on previous trip advisor reports, and I was very happy with my choice.

Reason for my visit was to see my daughter who was working at another hotel, unfortunately things didn’t work out with the job, and she ended up in a separate room at the Valais Hotel.

After a flight from Gatwick, and took a taxi from outside airport to hotel which cost me €28.00. On arrival at hotel there was nobody on reception – thankfully there was a rep from a Czech tour firm there, who said no problem, and she would go and get Katarina (the owner) from the bar to give me my keys etc.

A couple of minutes later Katarina appeared and asked if I would like a ground floor room. I had only paid a deposit and asked about the rest of the payment; she said unpack and then come to bar and pay her.

Another member of staff Tanya showed me to the room, and showed me how to work air conditioning. I was given room 105, my daughter when she joined me a week later was given room 106.

I unpacked and then went down to the bar/restaurant and paid Katarina, who also set up an account for anything I purchased from bar/restaurant to be marked down and paid for either daily/weekly or end of holiday.

The rooms are quite basic and I believe most of them have a double and single bed in it. Room 105 had this, plus a small bathroom with a shower cubicle, whereas Room 106 is bigger and had a larger bathroom with a bath in it. The rooms have a TV in them, only English channel was Sky News. All rooms have a safe and a fridge. Although air conditioning cost an extra €5 a day it was worth it as it was so hot every day.

The hotel is on the beach, just down a short flight of steps in front of the swimming pool. I am not a beach person, and prefer to sit around a pool. There are several sun beds around the pool and never a problem getting one. The only shade for the sun beds were under the trees. However there are lots of tables and chairs with umbrellas as well. Take your own beach towels. If you don’t want to sit on a plastic chair it is worth investing €2.00 a day for a very comfy matress for the sunbed. There are various watersports/boat trips run by the hotel available from the guys on the beach.

Breakfast is available in the bar/restaurant from 8.30am to 10am, and if you have pre-paid for breakfast you have a choice of about 7 different variations of breakfast. For example you could have toast or cereal or fresh fruit salad or some eggs, all with tea/coffee and fruit juice, but not a combination. They have a varied menu at lunchtime with lots on offer, and the pool/beach/restaurant is open to non-residents.

The public areas are beautifully clean and decorated with models of various ships – like the Cutty Sark etc, all in there own display cabinets, plus other cabinets displaying football shirts and other things.

The bar has several television screens showing various channels. There are a couple of billiard tables available, and 3 pay as you go computers.
The hotel is about an 8-10 min walk from the main town, which has loads of restaurants, a few bars, supermarkets and souvenir shops in it.

We walked into town every evening and ate at the following restaurants, some more than once, and had lovely meals at all of them, with good service. Levante, Memories, La Caretta, Poseidon, Vagis, Alkyonis – we could have tried more, but these are ones that my daughter had frequented often and liked. We also went to The Mill for their Greek night – the Mill is next door to the Valais hotel along the beach.

Finally I would like to thank all the staff for a wonderful holiday, they took time to know you by name, knew what you were likely to order to drink etc., and also extra thanks to Jim who every day, fetched my matresses for the sunbeds and put them out for me without me having to ask, as he knew which towels were mine when I had put them down at breakfast time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Gil57
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Only used this hotel for the beach loungers/ umbrellas and small table which at 7 euros for all day for a pair was pretty reasonable.
A real bonus is the fact that they service this beach area with food & drink without inflating prices.espressos decent espresso to us with cheery service from a Glaswegian chap who would come by every 45 mins or so to see if we needed anything.
Crossed the road to have lunch in their resturant area which was pleasant and shady. Decent menu choices at reasonable prices considering the beachfront location.
We had Greek salad which (apart from an overdose of green pepper) was OK & a chicken Gyro which was good and at approx 3.00 euros OK value.
All in all pretty good all round as long as you understand that it is in a premium location for the beach etc and are prepared to pay a little more than the average.
The beach itself is sandy and the sea shallow, clear and safe. An ideal family beach.
A few beach vendors but no hassling and I'd you want some knock off sunglasses or a designer bag bring your haggling hat!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Richard B
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I subscribe to all good words which were said about this wonderful hotel.
Large cosy rooms and balcony, green territory, pool, good wine (I prefer chardonnay), delicious food (my favourite- tzatziki, prowns in tomato sause), sandy beach across the road. (Even the local people say "Where do you stay? Valais? Valais is good!")
Very relaxing and friendly atmosphere. It's so nice to have an evening meal and enjoy the fresh breeze and a wonderful view of the Ionian sea. And,probably, the major component of this special atmosphere is a very friendly, helpful and nice people working at the hotel, and runnig the hotel. (Katarina, George, ευχαριστώ πολύ!!!) I enjoed every minute spent at this amazing place!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Maya_New
England
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Just returned from a break in Zante and this place became my daytime home. We were staying at the Dragonikas Apartments which is about 100 metres from the Valais and we went there as an alternative to being on the beach which is directly across the road, so it meant that we had the best of both worlds. The staff were amazing!! Jimmy, who has to be the hardest working bloke I've ever come across, was there everyday, always smiling, having a laugh with all customers, as were the other staff members - nothing was too much trouble for any of them. We had our breakfast, well brunch, there everyday and were so accommodating, changing bits that we didnt like for extras that we did - no bother at all. There's a lovely pool and free sunbeds, but you have to pay a couple of euros for the mattress. It's still a bargain as the sunbeds on the beach are 7 euros for 2 beds, so you can save yourself 3 euros a day by being at the Valais and literally crossing the road to the beach for a dip in the sea. I didnt eat there in the evening, so I cant comment on the full meals, but again, we met people who ate their evening meal there night after night. We sometimes would go there late at night for a nightcap as the setting is lovely - taking in the cool air off the sea, which was respite from the searing heat and humidity. Overall, we had a good time and if we return to Zante, will definitely use it as my daytime home again!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PEG66England
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I went with a friend ;last week to alykanas, we didnt stay at the valais but a hotel down the road, we ate all our food at the valais which was really excellent nothing was to much trouble to the staff who were all really friendly and made us very welcome, they served food and drinks on the beach. i will be staying at the Valais next time i go to alykanas.thank you to all the staff for making our holiday. Donna Reed aberyswyth.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Donna R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alykanas
Plessas Palace Hotel
Venus Hotel & Suites
Venus Hotel & Suites
#1 of 30 in Kalamaki
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,176 reviews

Been to Valais Hotel? Share your experiences!