“super doopa!”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Alykanas
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“super doopa!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Super doopa as nikos the barman would say is the only words we would use to describe our stay at the plessas palace. We stayed at the plessas for 11 nights and found no faults in our stay. The rooms are basic but very clean, and they all have balconies with either montain or pool view. There is a hairdryer in all the rooms. It is not noisy although it is situated on a main road and you never hear any noise coming from the bar. Nikos and his family are very welcoming and we had lots of fun with nikos, he is really funny and a real character. He even got my daughter serving drinks behind the bar on one of the nights, and he likes to get into ice and water fights! There is never a boring moment with nikos! Nikos and his family are all very helpful and go out of their way to help you. My boyfriend only drinks guiness but nikos didnt sell it but after him asking nikos after a few days he had got a supply in for him. We had also asked for nikos to call us a taxi a couple of times but instead he took us himself. There were allways sunbeads available and the pool area is very nice and does not get too busy. On a Tuesday there is a bbq night at the plessas, we went to both of them and found them very good! There is lots of food and it is a fun night for all and good value for money. There is a horse and carriage available to get into the next resort alikis or its about a half an hour walk. It is only a 15 minute stroll to the beach and it is all flat. We have no complaints about the plessas palace and will be sure to return to the plessas palace! Just to recap super doopa1

Room Tip: Choose a pool view room if possible because then you have the shade of an afternoon.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank venetta l

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Greek first
derbyshire
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed here mid July for 2 weeks. There is no question that Nikos and his parents are very nice and friendly, however, I have given this hotel 3 stars and its title as above because the cleaning standards at this place let it down which is a real shame because its a lovely place on the face of it. When we arrived we noticed that there were peanuts and sugar crystals on the worktop and behind the mini-oven which remained there throughout our stay. The towels were an off-white/yellowish colour and were not changed regularly. The balcony furniture needed a good clean and there was dust under the beds which, again, remained throughout our stay. The pool area was not cleaned daily as you could clearly see feet marks on the tiles and the pool itself developed scum around the sides through suncream and was heavily laden with chlorine products. I only saw someone cleaning the pool itself once throughout our stay. The kitchenette was very poorly equipped with crockery and utensils. At breakfast I observed how the glasses were washed/cleaned - Joanna had a bucket of soapy water and dunked each glass 3 times before placing them in the bar area, no dishcloth was used which explains why so many glasses had the remains of other peoples lip imprints. You may think I am picking picky but basic hygiene and cleanliness is a must and surely common sense. If this had been better I would have certainly given this place 5 stars because the beds were very comfy and the room had been re-furbished. The new sunbeds were good too. I have been to many parts of Greece and have to say that on hotel cleanliness, this was the worst and it really shouldnt be as the property is in a great location with a really nice family who run it. Alykanas has a lovely beach with some great restaurants but my favourite was Memories for which I have posted a seperate review.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank sharon018
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed August 17, 2012

What a fantastic hotel. Just returned from a week's holiday in Alykanas staying at the Plessas Palace. Glad I ignored half the reviews - think they were at a different hotel. Nikos and his family could not be any more pleasant and happy to do anything for you. Hotel room (313) was rear facing and absolutely perfect - double bed and a single. View over farmland and hillside, with goats and hens, smashing. OK cooking facilities were a bit basic but who wants to cook in temperatures of over 50 degrees anyway? Kettle was fine and it switched itself off. Beds were really comfy, I suffer from arthritis in my shoulders and was a bit apprehensive as, on previous trips to the Greek Islands, beds were rock hard. Have never slept better! And don't forget the lovely dogs who belonged to the hotel and wee cat and kittens at rear! Took 2 boat trips, one round whole island and one to Turtle Island. Word of advice don't book through your rep, far cheaper to book with street vendors. Albeit, we were told the Turtle Island was a short 3 hour trip - not so 7 hours later!!! Melted and tired.... but we saw a turtle which was fantastic. Only ate in the same restaurant, the Posiedon, every night. We are of the opinion that if the food is good the first time you are there, then you go back. Family run, everyone lovely and the food, especially the Greek Plate and Special Posiedon chicken, oh yum! Would highly recommend the Plessas Palace and am definitely going back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Giselle47
Scotland
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Arrived at Plessas Palace in Alykanas and received a warm welcome from Nikos who assisted us with our luggage to our room
Room spacious and scrupulously clean We had a rear view over the valley and mountains. Beds very comfortable. Good shower facilities. Cooking facilities basic but we did not plan to cook much in the apartment. Lovely pool which is exceptionally clean and maintained well at all times. The shop at the complex very reasonably priced and stocks most things. Snack bar provides a great range of fast food which is served from 8am until midnight. Try the BBQ (10 euros per person). We almost felt as though we were eating in the family home. Great location for bars and restaurants. Nikos and his family were so friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
Will we return to Plessas in the future? Yes definately.

. Renfrewshire Traveller

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MrandMrsPScotland
nottingham
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Second stay here and just as good as the first, they have recently upgraded the accommodation to a very high standard with a memory foam mattress on every bed, they have special rooms for the disabled with wet rooms which are brilliant, the pool is maintained daily as is the poolside area, the snack bar provides excellent food 24hrs (if you want it). Nichos and his family cannot do enough for you. IF you should have any problems they will be sorted very quickly. I would certainly recommend Plessas Palace Hotel to anyone, and we will be going back, wouldn't stop anywhere else in Zante.

Room Tip: Majority of rooms overlook the pool and have good sized balcony's.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Having travelled extensively in Greece, I am always keen to try a new island. I was recommended to Plessas Palace by my daughter and her family who have just returned from their second visit. I cannot praise it more. Everyone was so helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble and I would say the Plessas family make a real effort to ensure that all the guests are happy. I did have one problem when I somehow locked myself out! But Nikos helped me through the drama with a delicious cocktail! (clearly the drama took only a moment to resolve, but a very helpful thought, nonetheless!) Joanna was an absolute joy - always full of smiles. The little shop was great for essentials - one night I ran out of a couple of things but they just calmly opened up the shop put the lights on and ushered me in to get my bits - all at midnight! The pool was spotless. A lovely stay. I may not go back to Zakynthos again as I like to continue exploring Greece - but I shall certainly recommend Plessas Palace. Extraordinarily good value and a joy to stay there. Thank you to all the Plessas family!!!

The rooms were very comfortable, spacious and clean. The sheets and towels changed regularly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Am at a total loss to understand a previous review. We have stayed at the Plessas Palace twice and on both occasions and have been treated like one of the family. Rooms were very clean and although the cooking facilities are basic (it's what you expect self catering in Greece) we managed to cope. The Plessas family are always on hand and go out of their way to make sure you have a good holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alykanas
Valais Hotel
#4 of 27 in Argassi
The Bay Hotel & Suites
The Bay Hotel & Suites
#1 of 19 in Vasilikos

Been to Plessas Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!