“Lovely family run apartments.”
Review of Elpida Hotel

Elpida Hotel
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We returned yesterday from our 1 week stay at the Elpida. It was our first overseas holiday since having our now 16mth old son and my mother & her partner also came with us.

We had a lovely relaxing week and were very happy with our accommodation. Whilst the rooms are basic they are well furnished, clean and comfortable.
We were located in the ground floor rooms at the back with breathtaking views across the surrounding fields and mountains.
The staff were always friendly and helpful and the food, which is cooked to order, was very nice and very reasonably priced.

My husband and our son particularly enjoyed the swimming pool and I liked the fact that the children's pool has a raised edge making it a pool 'on top of the ground' rather than set into the ground, particularly when you have a raring to go toddler running around..!! The shop on site is reasonably priced, well stocked and open early to late.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Elpida and would certainly recommend it as a welcoming, clean and comfortable base to explore the island of Zakynthos from.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the site are much quieter (away from the road and bar area) and have stunning m...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elmoredhairymonster

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Ignore any bad reviews about this hotel. Rooms are basic but very very clean. The shower is amusing, you have to hold it while you shower but anyone who has been to Greece before should expect this. Take toilet roll and soap with you. The pool area is lovely, loads of sunbeds and parasols, the pool bar is fantastic! Spiros does a great job and makes amazing cocktails!! They are a must! Also even if you're nt staying here, go for lunch! The food is great. It's a very friendly bar and a good relaxed atmosphere. We went to the beach every day apart from two, it's about a 10/15 minute walk and is absolutely beautiful. We had a brilliant week here and spiros and his family can't do enough to help. Our lock broke on the first day and they had it repaired in no time, I then closed the room door with the key still in there and Spiros came straight away to sort it out. The shop has everything you will need for your stay. It is a beautiful place to go and we are already about to book for next year, it's quiet and friendly, perfect for a relaxing week

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Twinsabroad
Reviewed October 4, 2013

our second time staying at elpida, enjoyed it even more this year.:) spiros an family are lovely friendly people cant wait to return again next year. couldnt fault anything excellent food, rooms are cleaned regular, change of towels, poolside spacious plenty of sunbeds. local shops and restaurants walking distance. beach only 15 minute walk an worth it, where u can hire boats, jetskis, pedaloes ect. also bars an snacks along the sea front sunbeds available.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wincanton123
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Pictures on website been taken 20 years ago. When i arrived i could not believe my eyes. My wasn't ready at 15:00. They open a room and cleaning lady was cleaning in front of me. Towels been changed every 4 day. No TV. No WIFI in rooms. Air conditioner was in but you need to pay extra for remote, and with out its not working. You need to pay extra for the safe. You not allowed to eat your on food around swimming area. They not provide to me basic soap in the room and you not allowed to take towel on the beach. The showed is could in the morning and evening time because heated by sun. They don't have double beds. Also I forgot to say about holes in the walls. I would not live my dog in this hotel. Staff smiles only when receiving good tips.

Room Tip: My wasn't good because of strong noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Anton P
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have been comming here for at least 16 years, and as always had the most wonderful time (August 2013). The incredible family who run the Elpida, treat everyone with the greatest of respect, friendliness, care and will help in ANY way they can. This is the most friendly, relaxing place to stay. You always meet lovely people staying at the Elpida, many who go back year after year. I have come here with my partner, friends and by myself. Why Elpida? Well for me its the family, location, facilites, always food and drink available, the supermarket adjoining the Taverna. (walks from here are amazing, try going down different roads into Alykanas and Alikes, fabulous. You will always find another sea view and Taverna). I do not like huge complexes, for me they lose the friendliness. With the Elpida you have Solo travellers, Couples, families with young children and young teenagers and all the people I have met and heard of through networks have always loved it.
Yes, the rooms are basic, but clean. For me, I sleep, shower, use the balcony. Maybe have a snack in the apartment. Other than that I am poolside, enjoying food from the Elpida. Or I am walking to one of the beaches, or using the bus service to another part of Zakynthos. Night time is always strolling down the road to one of the many fabulous restaurants and then to places like Zeus, Scandals etc. There is entertainment about, try the Mill Bar for Greek Night (Fridays). But thankfully no Karaoke, Bingo!! Always its stroll back to have a few drinks with Spiros back at the Elpida, who always gives a wonderful welcome. Can not wait to go back.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Elpidaluver
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We love Greece and have stayed in many Greek resorts and I have to say that this one has everything we needed. There was always somewhere to walk to! We would get up each morning eat our cornflakes, spend an hour by the pool until beer o'clock and then walk the long way to the beach ( 20 mins), past the old ruin cottage and the spiral staircase in the olive tree to Nevaida taverna where we would reward ourselves with lunch and a large Mythos. We would then laze on their free sunbeds on a beautiful clean sandy beach with turquoise waters until afternoon beer o'clock. We would walk up to the river and sit in the bar by the bridge with a large Mythos ( no waitress service ) and then walk back along the river to the Elpida and siesta around the pool. Our evenings were a short stroll to a taverna and then a cocktail in Zeus bar finally ending up with Spiros serving a Brandy night cap back at the Elpida.

Yes, the hotel is basic but the apartment was clean. We were at the back on the ground floor. The pool tiles need a good clean but the water was fine, I just float about on my Lilo anyway. The shower is waist height and hand held but powerful and if you stand in the corner and spray its fine. Kitchen is basic ( not a matching bowl or plate in sight but ok for tea making and cornflakes). The main road is not that bad ( the cockeralls make more noise) we only had the sheets and towells changed once but it wasn't a problem. They should lose the plastic flowers though! The supermarket next door is owned by the family again basic stock but averagely priced and convenient.

Fridge has an ice compartment ( no trays) where we put water into plastic bags and used the bowl of a spoon to break it up. We had an Ouzo on the balcony with Ice every night.

There is no entertainment apart from football on in most bars or you tube videos in Zeus bar - but that was fine with us as we found the 'old art of conversation' entertained us. We met some great characters and also had plenty of 'us' time. No quiz, No Karaoke and No Bingo!! absolutely marvelous.

We spent the whole week in resort and will definitely go back so we can do the train trip, hire quads or scooters, drive around the island or we may just do nothing!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room at the back
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pippin_Picken
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have been to this hotel for many years and still haven't found any problems that can't be sorted by the owners with no hesitation. Some of the previous reviews are totally out of order. This is a very friendly and relaxing place to stay and not near the M1 or M6, so the comments about a busy road is rubbish!

• Stayed: September 2013