“Family Friendly, greek run Apartments.”
Review of Elpida Hotel

Elpida Hotel
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Family Friendly, greek run Apartments.”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We got back last night after spending 2 weeks in the very lovely Elpida Hotel. Spiros and his mum and dad looked after us so well, They made my family feel so welcome we would highly recommend there Hotel/apartments to all, i have a baby of 20 months who loved sitting on the bar stool having his sippy cup filled up ! and i felt he was safe in the pool and around the apartments to toddle about, then a teen boy and girl who loved bantering with spiros and had fun in the pool. We had an amazing holiday! Apartments and grounds are are kept clean and tidy and you can see the pride the family have in there Hotel. We had amazing views of the Mountains and enjoyed stunning sunsets, its a short comfortable walk to the beach and plenty to do in Alykanas for young and old alike. We enjoyed hiring a car the first week and went off exploring the Island, Spiros gave us loads of advice on where to visit ect.. he also makes a great Fry up!!! :), Everything we wanted all are needs and request's where met.......... PERFECT.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank naomijennings

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This review is based on Room 327 and my top tip would be to ask for a room at the block at the back (away from the main road) as these rooms are more modern.

The room was quiet too as no road noise and no nearby noisy bars etc, although I am sure that anyone who has stayed in this area will be more than familiar with the barking dog at night and that blinking cockerel! However, in a way, those rural noises (bar the dog - grrr) are part of the area's charm (our second visit to Alykanas, but our first at The Elpida - we had cockerel noises at the other end of the strip the last time we came, too). I have yet to stay anywhere on a Greek island for this price where the beds are super comfy! They are always hard (which I prefer to soft) and we did ask for extra pillows and got them. It's just the way it seems to be so we are used to it- I don't think it would be any different anywhere else on this budget.

Air Con was 50 Euros per week and we always budget this in, for Greek hols. Nice simple basic furniture that was modern enough, as was the wet room (standard bathrooms for Greece- remember to remove the loo roll before your shower!!). Shower was pretty good for Greece in our room - sometimes we have literally had a hose! I think the rooms do vary, block by block though....I thought the rooms were cleaned to an above average standard compared to other places we have visited in Greece - done every other day (loo roll, beds tided!). Clean sheets and towels once a week if I remember rightly. Safe in room is large enough for things like I-pads etc (30 Euros for a fortnight). Greek accommodation is of a certain type and you have to know a bit about what to expect to give a fair review, I think.

The Elpida is run by a friendly family and Spiros speaks excellent English so you can have lots of questions etc answered if you need to and communication was not a problem at all. I tried to learn a bit of Greek too!

The supermarket on site is very convenient (who wants to lug 6 bottles of water far in that heat?!). Sells everything you need for lunch and so forth.

The pool was a good attraction for us. The child/baby pool, I thought, was particularly generous compared to other hotels nearby (as I had a look when we wandered around). It's 0.6 metres deep and would be one of the main reasons we would return. The main pool does get suddenly quite deep but this is not unexpected. Showers just outside the pool didn't work though. The family put a very pretty fountain with coloured lights in it at night, which made sitting by the pool in the evening, pleasant. I think the pool could have been a tiny bit cleaner in parts (tiling etc) is my only minor gripe, but I did see the dad checking the water every day- can't remember how clean other pools in Greece are by way of comparison? There is also a trampoline (6ft I'd say) and very small play area in the shade for little ones, too.

The snackbar was reasonable and as one would expect - all the usual fare.

It's not too far to the beach, but is not directly on top of it either, but we prefer the pool in some ways to the beach. Having said that Alykanas beach is lovely and not too crowded (5-7 Euros for a sunbed and umbrella). You may want different accommodation if it's important to you to be very close to the beach.

The restaurants we particularly liked were The Lemon Tree (horse and carriage at 10 Euros will take you up there as it's not on the main strip and they do a free mini bus back to your apartments at the end - go on a Thursday when it is live music etc - don't miss this taverna as it's not on the main strip). Memories was nice too (near Elpida) but I did get a bit tired of the friendly, but slightly pushy woman outside. She was nice, but I always felt we had to run the gauntlet as we passed! Maybe it's because they're at the end of the strip so have to pull in the trade? Cosy Corner (tucked away, right at the other end - near the White House Studios and behind Bonkers Bar) is well worth a visit if you're craving a burger! We thought the Chinese was over priced and a bit disappointing.

In summary, The Elpida was exactly what we were after - it's ideal for families in particular and is very fairly priced. Alykanas is a lovely resort and you know what you're going to get - lovely beach, simple but reasonable Greek accommodation and a good pool. I think you could book Alykanas, say last minute, and not be disappointed as it is a lovely place. We would return to The Elpida.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room at the block at the back away from main road (we had room 327 - ground flo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank kenobi
Thrapston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Well what can I say this was a surprise for us as we wernt supposed to be staying here.But glad we did Spiros,Denise&Dennis were lovely,always happy considering they were always on the go 24/7.At first I was a bit daunted as haven't been in a room with no shower curtain or a 2 ring hob to cook on.But who cares they had food to eat whenever&reasonable.Supermarket was handy too.Room was ok although could do with upgrade,beds were very uncomfortable so bit more softness on mattresses would be nicer.Pool was smashing,thumbs upto the family's hard work.As for cleaners could clean a little better.Was a bit annoyed with some guests who placed towels on beds but didn't return to use them hours later.So some of us couldn't use them.If ya want quiet this is the place good for families.Anyway overall great take note no entertainment but plenty on the way down.Go easy on the free shots ure offered yuk!!Yes I was bad after.But hey hi it's part of the fun I suppose.Lots to do,eat etc.Quad bikes are cheap to get around the island £20 for 24 hours.Lovely gift shops too reasonably priced.So enjoy!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank nadster_10
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I enjoyed my time at this hotel despite its many problems with the shower spraying everywhere and the bed breaking and the air conditioning having to be paid on top as an extra for 50 euro a week it was still a lovely pool and nice bar. The owners are lovely and the shop supermarket being next door was convenient and helpful as being self-catering you don't have to walk far to get it back to your room and the whole area where this place is set in is peaceful and away from the roaring drunk youngsters. OVERALL BASIC BUT AVERAGE IN TERMS OF ITS RIVALS.

Room Tip: away from main road is preferred
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tgorr
bristol
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here from 14th July for two weeks. Rooms were very basic, but very good value for money, cleaned every other day with clean sheets & towels. Spiros greeted us with a very friendly manor when we arrived, and that continued throughout the holiday ! he was a great help arranging taxis and restaurant bookings for us ( we were a party of 15 )

Thank you Spiros for your hospitality ...... The 15 friends from Bristol.

Room Tip: This is Greece! basic, clean, good value and friendliness is what you will get.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lizzielimejuice
Croft, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Just returned from yet another fantastic holiday at the lovely Elpida... more and more people are finding this gem of a place.. it is the family that run it that makes it so special.. no one could be more helpful and you are not just a 'number' as you are in most hotels . Always feel part of the family and cant wait to get back for my next visit... if you want something a bit different where you do really matter... give it a go ! If you want cold and inpersonnel ...dont bother :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Dawnie1610
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Realizing that everyone has a right to their own opinion and having read the previous review, I felt we had to share our experiences of this hotel and staff. We have stayed at Elpida twice 1 week ins 2012 and 2 weeks this year and it has been nothing but a welcoming, warm and friendly experience for all our group. Spiros, Denise and Dennis are a lovely family and if you spend time in their company you will see that they are a lovely, obliging and hard working family. We agree with the comments about the cleaning staff - they do a great job. With regards to the negative feedback about Denise I feel this is very inaccurate and somewhat unnecessary. We have stayed there 2 years on the bounce; as soon as we returned home this year - the whole group has booked again for next year for 2 weeks. In regards to the wildlife - who can help what lands on your property? Looking positively the birds in question help to keep the mosquito population down - bonus. From us lot in Cornwall

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are the best for views - but around the back of the complex is the most quiet with c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank lauranigeljoey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alykanas
Plessas Palace Hotel
#3 of 19 in Alykanas
Koukounaria Hotel
Koukounaria Hotel
#2 of 27 in Alykes

Been to Elpida Hotel? Share your experiences!