“Sunny Honeymoon” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Stalos
Tromso, Norway
“Sunny Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Me and my husband spend an amazing honeymoon in Cretan Dream Royal. We had only a week and we wished we had a few days more. The hotel, the weather and Crete itself were just one great unforgettable break from cold Norway. We booked this hotel last minute and we had a great price.

When we arrived, we got offered a room on the ground floor and we actually spent our first night in there. I guess, this was our only disappointment -- the room smelled and felt very humid. But the staff prepared so many treats for us as newlyweds!! A wonderful surprise! The next morning we just asked for a room exchange and it was no problem at all. We got the best possible room with an amazing view, little balcony with the chairs to watch the sunsets.
All the staff was actually very helpful and friendly, they do really make you feel like home! Our stay was very relaxed. We also really enjoyed the pool area, everything was really convenient. The beach was just across the road but we didn't cross any highways, simply used the underground passage.

The rooms were cleaned well and the towel sculptures were just pieces of art :-) We enjoyed the breakfasts but we were glad we didn't order dinners, we really got to experience local cuisine.
In my opinion, this hotel suits for all kind of people. It has got a great location but you need to take a bus or rent a car to get to Chania. The bus trip is pretty short though and costs just a couple of euros. The hotel is great value for money.

Crete is truly magical! We can't wait to be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alla_Fironova

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We travel lots (as you can see from reviews) and all I can say about this hotel is that we had a good and relaxing stay. I would go back but would make sure to rent a car and wouldn't sign up for dinner package. I will tell you both bad and goods and let you decide for yourself:

Goods:
- I won't give it the stars that they claim; however, it is generally a nice clean hotel - totally acceptable for the price we paid! All and all we had fun and that's what matters.
- The pool area is nice with infinity water view
- we had ocean view room, which was roomy and clean
- staff were nice
- the breakfast buffet was good (always important for me as I love my breakfast!)
- If you have a car there are nice city centers on both sides that offer nice restaurants and fun lounges. There was a lounge in front of the hotel, which we tried once and was cool.
Bads:
- The free beach in front of the hotel is not impressive at all. The sand color is brown and to access it you have to either go through a scary looking tunnel (we didn't risk it) or risk running across a high traffic road, which is what we did as we figured cars are better than the tunnel. There is a beach club that offers a better beach alternative but it is not free! We drove away everyday to other beaches on the island and discovered gorgeous white/pink and golden sand beaches! Drive around and you will love this pretty island!
- Not sure if this is usual for all Cretan hotel but they requested us to not flush your paper towel. Really? that was a bit too gross for me!
- You need a car! To go to restaurants, to go to better beaches and to experience the island. If
we didn't have car I would get depressed in this hotel as it is not that big of property and kind of in the middle of nowhere!
- We did the half pension thingy (package to include breakfast and dinner) and regret it later as we didn't find the dinner buffet to be good and it was boring. People visiting could order nice stuff from menu but it wasn't an option for us who were on the package. We got quickly bored of the food and although we had already paid we ate mostly outside.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VeryPickyLondon_UK
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with no regrets. The staff make you fell like at home and always willing to to serve you. We booked the half board option (inadvertently), food was just ok, you will find better and not-pricey options nearby. We went with our 2mO baby and the waitresses were pleased to look after him so we could go to the buffet. The hotel is very clean and well maintained, we tried going to to the beach in front of the property but was just disappointing, we turned back and asked to one of the waitresses which beach she used to go and got a very nice recommendation (2hrs driving btw, but no complaints). The main building-restaurant and pool area are stroller friendly. Do not book this hotel because it has a beach in front (as we did), but be sure that if you stay here you will receive a royalty treatment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JGBueno
Cheltenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Got this at a bargain price in October and was very impressed with the value for money. Wouldn't go for the half board option as it's easy to find alternative local places to eat nearby and also in Chania. Clean, nice bathrooms and lovely little balcony. Excellent facilities and very easy to catch bus from, super friendly reception staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have a booked for 2 nights at this hotel a month in advance and when we arrived late at about 12:00 AM , the man at the lobby was speaking in a rude way and he said I don’t have any rooms I am sorry its ok one sec i will call a taxi for u there is a hotel just near our hotel which is also a 5 stars hotel , and i was like we already paid to stay in this hotel what do u mean u don’t have a room , and he said it’s not my business call Sofia she is the responsible one , but she is not here and she will be here at 9:00 , anyway he called the Taxi driver and we went to the other hotel and it was a good hotel but still how rude and bad service and how could they just transfer us to another hotel as they wish , if it wasn’t really late and were so tired from out flight we would of made a huge issue about the way he was talking and treated us , and he looked at our luggage and was like whatttt !!!! How long are u staying for!!?? why too much !! … My god!!
He was bad-mannered and I really think people who work in hotels front desks should be respectful and helpful.
What kind of a 5 stars hotel transfer people to other hotels and cancel their reservation.

Room Tip: do not book at this hotel because they cancel ur booking with out informing u and they transfer u to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lamyaamoutaz
Lancashire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just as good.. if not better than our first stay!... nothing is too much trouble.. from the Reception staff ..Eleni and Ioanna... to the cleaning staff (rooms are absolutely spotless, bedding lovely.. beautiful towels)... to the Restaurant staff... Manoulis and his team.. particulary Christina, Kiki and Maria are a credit to the hotel... so cheerful, so polite, so helpful..

Bar prices are so reasonable.. why go anywhere else? ... 4E for cocktail during happy hour (which was for 2 hours!!)... again, staff were charming...
We brought some friends this time.. and they were equally impressed!
We would definitely recommend!

Try the a la carte in the restaurant.. very reasonable.. and if you can't find anything on the menu you like.. just ask!!

Room Tip: Room 305 and 411... balconies are amazing!!.. Room is more like a mini suite... fab!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just returned from a one week stay at the Cretan Dream Royal. I booked the hotel as a 50th birthday treat for a dear friend.
Upon arrival we were very impressed with the facade of the hotel and reception area.....Things however quickly went downhill. We checked in and then had to follow the receptionist up and down lots of flights of stairs and along corridors to reach our room. Carrying our own luggage because there are no porters or bellboys? The room we were show to was small, dark, cramped. with what looked like 1 double bed. After I had made the booking with Thompson I had emailed the hotel and was assured that I would be allocated a twin room with 2 beds. A quick phone call to reception and a cleaner came and indicated that it was in fact 2 single pushed together and we could seperate them. However the beds were set back into a slight niche so we had to pull them out to seperate them. Once this was done it was not possible to sit up in bed as there was nothing to lean back on.
The bathroom door was warped and would not close. Another call to reception. We were informed that the hotel was full and we couldn't change rooms till the following day. No door or curtain on the shower meant that when you had a shower in the tiny shower room (no bath) the whole room was flooded.
There is a safe in the room and you can have a key for €15, there is also a €5 charge for the pool towels which you can change every 3 days!!
We changed rooms the next day to an identical room 3 doors down. still no shower door or curtain, so for the rest of the week we were skating around on a wet, slippery floor. The furniture in the rooms is not of particularly good quality. In fact it looks cheap! The TV sets were at least 15 years old. I haven't seen a tv set like that in a hotel room for years. There is no iron or ironing board in the room. The rooms also overlooked the main road so were incredibly noisy.
We decided to have some laundry done. I filled the bag and called down to reception to request some come and collect it. I was told I had to take the laundry to reception myself and I would also have to collect it the next day!
The beach the hotel boasts of is extremely grim with coarse sand, tatty sunbeds and parasols and no facilities. It's overlooked by a huge grafitti covered wall and is not particularly clean.It is almost impossible to get into the sea due to the rocks and stones. Although the sunbeds were free whilst I was there, I only stayed 10 minutes however before moving to a nicer part of the beach with a little beach bar. I heard from other guests that the hotel had been charging €5 a day to use the beach the previous week.
I have to say the public areas of the hotel are beautiful and well kept and the staff are very friendly. The pool and bar areas have great views and the buffet breakfast was well stocked.
I understand from other customers, who bizarrely pain £400 less than I did that they have some really nice larger rooms. But maybe I was in a room allocated to Thompson holidays. However, when I book a 5 star holiday I expect 5 star accomodation. This was barely 3 star at 5 star prices. I would never go back to this place even if I was given a free holday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Paulo59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stalos
Renieris Hotel
#1 of 69 in Platanias
Corinna Mare Studios & Suites
Corinna Mare Studios & Suites
#9 of 111 in Chania Town

Been to Cretan Dream Royal? Share your experiences!