Well - what can I say?!
A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I decided to book a long-weekend. After looking at a weekend in London, we realised we could grab a Ryanair flight from Bristol and stay at the Renieris Hotel in Crete for an extra day, and for less money!
We've never been to Crete before, so this was a good "taster" trip to see if we liked it.
We were NOT disappointed!!!
We arrived (with ResortHoppa) in the early-hours of Sunday morning. The hotel proprietor - Giorgios - had left our key behind the reception desk for us, as he'd previously confirmed via email.
The room (27) was spotless - similar to a room in a Travelodge - with a balcony, sea view (plus a spectacular view of the small island Agios Theodoros), wardrobe, fridge, air con and LED TV.
Comfortable bed and linen. A safe is available for 1 Euro per day if required.
Breakfast is served in a small covered pool-bar area, by Giorgios and Stella. Fresh bread, jams, eggs, a range of cereal and fruit and salad items are on offer, along with tea, coffee and fruit juices. Plenty to choose from, and all nice quality. There is also a lunch menu available, and (lovely) tzatsiki, pizzas, omelettes, salads etc. are on offer at very reasonable prices.
As for Giorgios himself...well - just read the other reviews. They're not wrong. He is - without doubt - the friendliest, most accommodating hotelier I've ever met. Nothing is too much trouble, his English is impeccable (as is his German!), and he just adds to the lovely atmosphere of the place. Other hoteliers should go and learn from him!
We relaxed as soon as we got there - and that was the idea of the mini-break! The weather was variable, but that meant there was a good opportunity to get over to the old town of Chania - just E1.60 on the local bus, which runs every half hour or so throughout the day. Chania is a lovely old town with plenty of tavernas and cafes along the harbour.
Kato Stalos itself is a reasonable place. It was quiet when we went...in the evenings, we didn't pass a soul walking to or from the town! There is clearly some development going on in the area, but it doesn't look like it's going to be overrun with hotels.
In all, we had a fantastic time, and we wouldn't hesitate to go back to Crete, to Stalos, or to this hotel.
I hope we have the pleasure of meeting Giorgios again in the not too distant future! Thank you for making our short break a very happy one!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Renieris Hotel in Kato Stalos sits upon a hill with a spectacular view of Kato Stalos beachfront, the Theodorou island and the blue Aegean Sea and only 200 meters away from the sandy beach. Enjoy beautiful sunsets while bathing in our custom pool with a separate children's pool. Our amphitheater-style design captures sea views in almost all of our rooms. Our hotel is family owned and operated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Renieris Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renieris Hotel Kato Stalos
- Renieris Hotel Stalos, Crete - Chania