“Amethystos”
Review of Amethystos

Amethystos
Ranked #3 of 27 Restaurants in Stalos
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Cozy, family and traditional restaurant with delicious and filling portions, every day specialties. We serve the best homemade wine, raki and rakomelo(raki with honey). We only use our certified olive oil to cook. Hearty service ("Philoxenia") and fair prices. Credit cards accepted. Accessibility to disabled. If you think of celebrating birthday or other events, Amethystos can prepare one completely unforgettable evening. Daily open from 10.00 until closing.
London, United Kingdom
“Amethystos”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We decided to visit Amethystos restaurant after reading positive reviews and it was very close to our Cretan Dream Hotel.

Could not comment on other restaurants since we visited only Amethystos and found there all we needed.

Restaurant is a bit disadvantaged locationwise since it was not exactly on the beech but despite that it was worth to walk a bit uphill from Maria's restaurant (located on the main road) to the small church and follow the road to the right before you see the restaurant direction sign to the left.

We visited Amethystos on 3 occasions during lunchtime only since we stayed on half board basis in our hotel.

Once arrived you will be welcomed by Eferia, nice lady who is preparing food. This is a family run restaurant and at evening you probably would be served by Eferia's son or daughter who we also met.

Restaurant is part of family house and straight away you have that feeling of home made food. Restaurant was airy, spacious, spotlessly clan with a bit of nice view to the sea if you are sitting on the terrace.

On each visit food was freshly made, nicely presented with excellent taste. We tried various salads and starters and for main course we tried and would recommend lamb cutlets or cooked lamb with olive oil. We tried all red, white and rose home made vine. Would recommend red, smooth and easy drinkable.

On second occasion Eferia's husband Yannis joined us on our table and we end up having lunch together. He does not speak English but with help of local man Andonis we found out that lamb we ate was coming from Yannis's brother farm, olives, wine, raki and even oregano was all produced by Yannis. Then we went to basement of the house where I was shown the winery itself where wine and raki was produced and stored for ageing. Basic but very interesting.

At the last visit we bought some raki, rakomelo (raki with honey) and took back to London.

All in all a very nice Cretan food experience and would recommend.

Dear Eferia and Yannis many thanks for your hospitality.

Family from London

• Visited August 2012

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Vyborg, Russia
“Amethystos is an excellent place to eat and realax”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We are now spending our vacation in Crete, Kato Stalos. after the reviews from this site I decided to find this taverna and try to eat there... and I was not dissappointed at all! The restaurant is really the best of all we tried here, in Stalos. And even dining in Chania we missed this nice taverna with its very tasty food. The owners are very hospitable... Each time we feel like at home. And the prices also make us pleased. the only one minus is the location of the taverna... for the fisrt time it was a little bit complicated to find it. But you can orient on the table "Amethystos" close to "Maria's" taverna showing the direction to go :-)

• Visited August 2012
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
“A hidden gem with authentic Cretan cuisine”
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

I was visiting Chania after being in the US for 21 years. I wanted to take my parents and relatives to a place where the food would be tasty and the environment classy. I can say without hesitation that this place went far beyond exceeding my expectations.. The hospitality of Stelios and his mother made us all feel right at home. The food is on a league of its own. Fresh ingredients cooked in a traditional Cretan way made all of us asking questions how each plate is cooked.... nd we were getting responses from Eleutheria, Stelios' mother within minutes...
I would highly recommend this place to anyone interested in authentic, traditional Cretan cuisine....btw...call and ask for directions...if you are in Chania eating there is A MUST!!

San Francisco, California
“When visiting Crete, this Restaurant is a must stop!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I've traveled to Crete 3 times in the last 4 years. After finding this restaurant after my first visit, I realized the food prepared here is not your average greek taverna style, but in a class of its own. I've returned multiple times on each of my trips and the foods have truly been amazing each time. The Chef is a creative genius, using all fresh ingredients. The salads are amazing. I can't wait to return and see what's new. Wonderful family run business.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank arally1
Hania
“Reason of non indication of the restaurant 'Amethystos'”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Hi, I just want to reply to a critic I've read before, concerning the restaurant 'Amethystos', as I am a customer there for some years now. Except the food which is delicious (and I am Greek so I know) and the beautiful envirement, we've become with the years also friends. I know that the reason why it is not indicated on the main road, is not that they don't want to spent money to place a sign but simply the fact that, for some reason they don't know, the Municipality doesn't give them the authorization to do so! It has been a problem for them from the start and they can not solve it!
Any other solutions or good ideas are welcome!

• Visited July 2012