“Excellent local Portuguese food”

Restaurante Pelourinho
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Alijo
Reviewed May 29, 2018 via mobile

I had pork cheeks - I can’t begin to tell you how good they were! Served casserole style with chestnuts - to die for. The staff don’t have much English but it doesn’t matter - they are so lovely and willing to help. Many locals eating there, so that’s a good recommendation. Cheap and worth every Euro.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed March 22, 2018

We had not figured out how to order food in Portugal when we ate here. I had bacalao with eggs which came with a huge dish of rice and beans. My husband had veal and potatoes which came with a large dish of broccoli and cabbage. We could have easily managed with only one of these two. Food was very good and service was pleasant. With tea for two, our bill came to less than 21 euros. Sadly, we had to leave half of the food and we hate waste like that.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed December 3, 2017

I have been Alijo two weeks and have eaten here 3 times! I just keep going back. I really like that they use a lot of green vegetables on the plates. Their marinated pork steak melts in your mouth. Last night was a special treat with traditional Portuguese stew and chestnut pudding. If you don't speak Portuguese, don't worry...the server is multi-lingual and speaks excellent English and can decipher the menu for you making great recommendations. Service is excellent and very friendly and welcoming. I have another week here and will have to fit in at least one more visit.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed October 14, 2017

Recommended by the hotel and tripadivsor as number one. Only found it okay. Limited menu. Small restaurant, but alright.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed September 30, 2017

Great experience eating here. Restaurant is up the stairs and the host speaks very good english. The food is amazing. Unlike every other portuguese chef the ones here know what garlic and salt are. The food is wonderfully seasoned and the portions are huge. I was hiking with two other guys and we couldn't finish two orders of the veal steaks. Potatoes two ways and wonderfully seasoned kale accompanied the entree. Prices were beyond reasonable. I would strongly recommend getting a reservation and it will fill up around 7:45-8:00 and meals are slow and relaxed. The house special dessert is amazing as well. Great experience all around.

Date of visit: September 2017