All reviews charming hotel adjoining restaurant hotel chain village centre sister hotel small balcony mini fridge large supermarket porto moniz quiet location week stay central funchal quinta hill norte sea madeira
Selected filters
Reviewed December 19, 2019

I enjoyed a wonderful week at the Quinta do Estreito Vintage House Hotel. The hotel is situated in an elevated position which provided an unspoiled ocean view from my room’s balcony (room 202) and also from the terrace upstairs. My room was thoroughly cleaned daily and was very comfortable and bright. I stayed here on a B&B basis; the breakfast buffet was very good ! I enjoyed fresh fruit and scrambled eggs with toast most days but there was a good choice of other food also. Breakfast is served in the Quinta, which lends itself nicely to be a dining area, or you can choose to eat on the terrace outside the Quinta. I thoroughly recommend the adjoining restaurant 'Adega da Quinta', which you can access from the hotel gardens, where I dined twice during my week's stay. There's parking available outside the front of the hotel, but when this was full, there's also secure underground parking underneath the hotel. Within a 5-minute walk downhill is a 'Continente' supermarket or uphill, further restaurants, cafés, bars and bus stops.

I would like to thank all the staff at the hotel very much for making me feel so comfortable and welcome. Muito obrigado !

Date of stay: December 2019
CharmingHotels, Marketing at Quinta Do Estreito, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our Group! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 8, 2019

Found the hotel to be charming with lovely staff. Our problem was we had booked it because we were told there was a shuttle bus which was essential as two of our party have mobility problems. We asked about the bus only to be told it was not in service and advised about the local bus and taxi rank which was impossible for us owing to the steep hills. No help was given other than calling for a tax which was helpful but extremely expensive. The only alternative was never to leave the hotel. Whilst it is a very pleasant place to bebut not all that amazing that we wanted to spend our week there. This really added greatly to the cost of our holiday and felt no one seemed to be the least bothered that we were so let down. I was in a single room and reported on arrival that the phone was not working and was told it would be looked at - still not working when I left. Thankfully I had no emergency that required urgent contact with anyone. Lovely place but let down by above.

Date of stay: October 2019
CharmingHotels, Marketing at Quinta Do Estreito, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2019

We appreciate your feedback. Our mission is to constantly improve our services, so we will definitely consider your recommendation. We are going to talk with the Manager in order to improve our Hotel, so your review is very important to us. Thank you so much

Reviewed August 7, 2019

We had no real expectations when we came across this hotel by chance (booking online is not always ideal).
The real bonus is that the hotel is located in the hills outside Funchal. Funchal itself seems horrendously overcrowded with huge, ugly hotels. However, the Quinta Do Estreito turned out to be a gem: Small enough to be unusual but large enough to provide a very good all-round stay.
Rooms are furnished well, the beds we slept in were brilliant, with a nice firm mattress and a choice of pillows to suit. Hotel is situated in the hills and the sea view rooms (particularly at reception level) give a great view across. Swimming bath towels were available even to take out for the day.
Staff are great and really friendly, just like the indiginous population. They were equally helpful with any special requests we had.
Breakfast is superb, with a wonderful buffet, including fresh fruit.

We prefer local buses to taxis, the connections to all parts of the Western island were superb: A daily bus to Porto Moniz via Sao Vicente (3 hrs journey, route 139 or 80 via South Coast), plenty of buses (route 3, 96, 147) into Funchal, Access to walks (the spectecular Lavade de Norte starts 10 minutes away from the hotel). Also close to Jardim de Serra.
Warning: Madeira itself may become victim of its own success: Slowly overdeveloped with huge hotel chains and huge tourist buses on ever more new roads.

Date of stay: August 2019
2  Thank Alexander K
CharmingHotels, Marketing at Quinta Do Estreito, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our Group!
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2019

We recently stayed at this hotel having booked it through Secret Escapes. We had a lovely break here. it is true the hotel is up the hill away from Funchal but we were aware of this when we booked. We just took a bus in to Funchal which was an experience in itself. Most of the hotel staff were very helpful. Especially was the case of the dining room staff. The food was lovely, I am a vegetarian and when I asked if there was anything for vegetarians they cooked a dish just for me. This went on every evening, they made sure when I arrived at the dining room they would check that what they were intending to cook for me was ok and then made it. I can honestly say the food was really enjoyable and they did not make me feel like it was a problem. We had a lovely stay here.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Louise V
CharmingHotels, Marketing at Quinta Do Estreito, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our Group!
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 11, 2019

We came here on a cheap excursion with Secret Escapes.The hotel is tired , but the staff are very nice and helpful and it is a 20 euro ride from Funchal. We were on half board and the breakfasts were great and the evening meal was always plentiful with fish and meat to choose from the buffet but this not fine dining.This is an out of the way hotel that does its best and while we would not go again we enjoyed our short time here..

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank glyn l