1,087 results
All reviews art deco terra nostra hot springs botanical gardens sao miguel indoor pool hotel guests free access lovely hotel open to the public main restaurant lovely room spring pool stew beautiful garden late at night after hours
Reviewed September 12, 2018

My fiance and I stayed at the Terra Nostra last week for 5 days. I would say the highlight of the trip was the hotel. We loved walking the gardens and soaking in the hot springs- in the morning or evening when it was closed to the public we felt like we had the place to ourselves. We ate at the bar most nights, sitting out on the terrace. Alexander S. was usually our server and he was always so friendly and welcoming. My fiance especially enjoyed the smoked cocktails that were served in some really unique ways. The last night we did a chef's choice tasting menu with a wine pairing, which was very nice. Highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jg0826
Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Furnas was our second stop on our honeymoon and we had chosen Terra Nostra as our luxury stay. We were not disappointed! The service is impeccable and the hotel is stunning. As we were celebrating our honeymoon, we were given an upgraded room (garden suite) and a bottle of champagne. This was a lovely touch which we will remember fondly! The hotel is situated on the edge of the botanical gardens with 24h access to the hot spring and thermal jacuzzis. Having a swim in the hot spring at nighttime was the highlight of our stay. Wandering around the gardens is a must as there is so much to see. The staff is friendly and attentive. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mr-MrsTravellerToad
Reviewed September 8, 2018

Hotel was very clean, staff were friendly, and the included/free admission to the botanical gardens and geothermal pool make staying here worth it. Huge bonus that hotel guests have exclusive access to the geothermal pool and botanical gardens from 6 pm - 10 am, as the park can get crowded when the public is allowed in.

Important notes:
-Bring an old dark bathing suit for the geothermal pool. The iron/minerals will stain your suit a brownish color (coloring does not easily rinse out from a light colored suit).
-The hotel provides gray bath robes and towels in the rooms for the geothermal baths. We wished they'd just had these somewhere for guests to grab as needed. We ended up having the maid service come in a couple times to just switch out our gray towels/robes when nothing else really needed to be cleaned.
-The hotel did not provide hair conditioner. It's a little strange, they did provide shampoo, bar soap, body lotion, and bath/shower gel - but no hair conditioner. Bring your own.
-The bed is very firm and was uncomfortable. I have a bad back and by the end of the stay I was in agony. My partner, who usually tolerates a firmer mattress than me, was also uncomfortable. I ended up lining the bed with pillows to cushion my back, which helped slightly.
-There is a weird noise you can hear in the room constantly - we think it was the HVAC system? However it sounded like someone rolling a cart down the hallway. If you turn on your AC in the room, the fan drowns the noise out. We stayed on the 3rd (top) floor overlooking the botanical gardens. The room was fine otherwise.
-The indoor pool is "heated" but cool/cold. Too cold for me. The sauna was great.
-The gym is on floor -1, next to the playroom. It's small and even the staff admit it's rarely used, it's just a tread mill, stair climber, bike, rowing machine, and some free weights. The room has no ventilation, there's a door outside but it's locked/can't be opened to get fresh air. We used the gym once when it was raining outside, but it really leaves a lot to be desired. FYI for any runners - the island towns don't really have sidewalks and the streets are narrow. If you're not a huge trail runner you might find it difficult, there's a running/bike path in Ponta Delgada but not much elsewhere from what I saw.

Room Tip: Recommend getting a top floor garden view room
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

We stayed two nights as part of an Azores island tour. It’s well appointed and has all that you expect from a hotel in this standard. Whilst dinner and breakfast was good the waiter service was not - so far as dinner went once you were in you were forgotten until the next course. Too busy! The room was noisy being close to the heating plant and strangely next door’s shower made a loud noise in our room - not what you expect from a hotel of this standard. The gardens and geothermal pool are a real asset to the hotel and worth using. You get a better nights sleep in a Premier Inn!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nickrashtead
Reviewed August 27, 2018

I love this place. Absolutely gorgeous and staff was incredible. The breakfast was fantastic however I didn't dine in the restaurant for other meals. If you do spend a night in Furnas, definitely check out this Oasis.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled with friends
Alice M, Front Office Manager at Terra Nostra Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying at Terra Nostra and for writing such a lovely review regarding your experience with us.
Oh behalf of the entire team, it was a pleasure to be at your service.
We really look forward to seeing you again soon in our property.
Best wishes,