“Not much going for it apart from the view...”

Restaurante La Cigale
Reserve with
Restaurante La Cigale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 54 Restaurants in Olhos de Agua
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We went here for lunch. I am okay with paying a little over the odds for a lovely location and a great view but the food just wasnt up to scratch. they immediately brought out bread and olives when you arrive - they dont wait for you to order them. They then brought us the wrong main course and my partners portion of salad was ridiculously small. All in all a disappointment. The views couldnt make up for the poor food.

3  Thank star1984

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We arrived for dinner and managed to get a table right by the beach with fantastic views. Location wise I couldn't fault this restaurant. The waiting staff in the main were fine although we were asked if we wanted wine about 5 times which was a bit excessive and made us feel a bit pressured. We ordered the sea bass which was lovely and well cooked, the side dishes were a bit stingy and not particularly nice. The biggest downside was the price it was 55 euros which seemed extortionate for a small piece of fish. I feel for that price we should have got more fish and a nicer and more appealing selection of side dishes.

2  Thank Sfl123
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Arrived for lunch and it seemed quite busy. We got a table but waited ages for the menus-should have left then. My 5 small sardines arrived and when I tried to eat them I found that they hadn't been gutted, and they had cut through the guts so they had spilled out in the cavity. When I questioned this, all I was told was that "it was the Portuguese way". When I said I had sardines 3 times already on my trip and none had been like this, all I got was a shrug. We didn't eat the covert but they tried to charge for this. Worst meal and attitude of the holiday-think they trade on their location. Avoid!

2  Thank Jen32B
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We are just home after 2weeks in Olhos & as regulars at this restaurant for quite a few years have always regarded it a little special.. But no longer. Last year started our change of heart. The service was always a bit off hand & their head waiter in particular can be obnoxious. Last year he tried to sell 6 of us ( my family party) 5 Cataplanas. My wife told him not to be ridiculous!! This year we were met with the usual cold attitude but it was the food & price which finished me. My wife's Tiger prawns were lovely but expensive at 28 euros. I had what purported to be Golden bream- I'm absolutely convinced it was not. It was the smallest, poorest fish I've eaten in years & at 28 euros - total robbery! Worst meal of our holiday. There are many far better restaurants in Olhos which cost a fraction of the bill here. My Tip- If you want a special restaurant, for a special night take a taxi to Ruina in Albufeira. It's slightly more expensive than here but you will have brilliant seafood with spectacular views! Avoid this place which badly needs new management!

1  Thank DM1_10
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Go for the 7.50 euro lunchtime fish special and you will be very impressed. Anything else and it's very very pricey. I had sardines which were meaty, fresh and there were 6 of them which came with lovely flavoured boiled potatoes, my partner had mackerel which was lovely too. At 7.50 euros, they were delicious and very good value. My 4 yr old however fancied ham and cheese so we ordered him the tapas starter. That was 2 triangles of cheese, a carrot stick, 2 olives and a slice of ham... And that was 7 euros. Seems very strange how expensive everything else was, but the grill specials so reasonable. The setting is heavenly on a nice day and very easy to sit and quaff wine in the sun... Watch your bill though! We lived this restaurant for a good lunchtime meal but can see why it may fall short if you pay the extortionate full menu prices.

1  Thank Beth S