Just got back early on Monday morning from this hotel. My father, who is 85 years of age travelled with us as well as my 16 year old daughter, so we were concerned that this holiday may not meet all of our needs, however, we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was spotless and the staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was as pleasant as possible. We were very impressed that on our first day, we had a tour around the whole of the hotel and later in the afternoon, Phil, our Thomson's Rep took us on a tour around the local area showing us places like where the local bus stops are and the chemist etc.
The food was buffet style which suited us for our one week stay, which included a selection of meats, fish, salad, fresh fruit and delicious cakes. We had the choice of eating outside or in the restaurant with no problem finding a table, however I would imagine it would perhaps be more difficult into the season now the children have broken up.
All the animation staff were really friendly , always with a smile on their face and not at all pushy when asking you to join in. They worked really hard and genuinely wanted everyone to enjoy their stay. My only issue with the whole of the holiday was the entertainment in the evening. Apparently, the RIU group choose what entertainment to put on. Although the staff worked incredibly hard, we felt the shows were quite amateurish and they would have been better bringing in outside acts. Unbelievably, we were told on the tour, that after the shows , the staff have to clean the costumes, which just seems so unfair when they have worked a long day.
Our rooms were numbers 353 and 355 and I have to say they were always maintained to a high standard and we had a lovely view of the pools as well as the sea. The maids were very friendly and we had no problem with our rooms being cleaned on a daily basis. I personally had no problem with the bed but my husband felt that the mattress topper did make a difference. Regarding the rooms, I would say the only addition I would make would be to offer tea and coffee making facilities as it would have been lovely sitting on the balcony enjoying the lovely view. We had no problem with the air conditioning, our rooms were nice and cool and the blackout curtains helped to keep the sun out.
Other reviewers have mentioned the sun loungers being uncomfortable, but again we must have been very lucky, because we had no issues with any. However, I will agree that we did have to get up early to make sure we had a lounger, but we did see staff finding sun loungers for people who could not manage to get one.
We did visit the local beaches, however I would say that the one with the many stairs only leads down to a tiny cove, but there are plenty of benches to stop and have a break.
So all in all, we had a lovely week's holiday, however my 16 year old daughter said she wishes that she would have had more opportunities to make friends. We would recommend this hotel for a week's holiday and we will definitely be booking a RIU hotel in the future. Thanks to Phil, we would have no hesitation in picking up a Thomson's brochure again. A big thank you to eveyone who made our stay so enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened summer 2008. Located in Olhos d'Agua in the Algarve. 6-Storey main building and 2-storey annex building. 15 Minutes' walk from Praia da Falesia beach. Access to a small cove from the hotel Riu Palace Algarve is via cliff side steps (an approximate 10 minute walk). 8 Km from Albufeira. 500 M from various shops. 35 Km from the airport. 500 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Guarana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Guarana Albufeira
- Clubhotel Riu Guarana Hotel Albufeira
- ClubHotel Riu Guarana Olhos De Agua, Portugal - Albufeira