My wife and I were here for 10 nights at the Riu Guarana at the start of July.
I emailed the hotel prior to departure requesting a room with a pool view. They replied by email saying they couldn't guarantee, but they would check availability. On arrival they allocated a great room overlooking tennis court/pool on end of hotel. rooms all floors 01 - 04
We were in 204.
beds are hard, but request a mattress topper and they are fine.
Air con is rubbish but fortunately the room we had didn't get sun all day, so it was bearable.
The choice of drinks and quality were absolutely fine and the food was cooked perfectly and plentiful with loads of choice.
This was our 3rd trip to a RIU and the food has been great and service exceptional at them all.
We sampled the Asian restaurant on a couple of occasions which needs to be pre booked which is effortless and the standard was excellent. The grill restaurant was ok if you like everything battered
We love Sardines, which Portugal is renowned for but they were only on the menu once in 10 days.
Only two little annoyances to mention.
We went right at the start of July to miss the school holidays, and Thompson who we booked with recommended this for couples, as our children were old enough to go on their own holidays this year.
it was fine for the first week, but then the Spanish/ Portuguese families started arriving.
This shouldn't have been a problem as there is an absolutely huge family pool with slides etc and away from this is a quiet/ couples pool with no inflatables, ball games and such. but obviously this doesn't apply to our foreign types who blatantly ignored all this and inundated this area with children. the staff were complained to numerous times by dozens of British couples but to no avail.
So note to couples go slightly earlier or after school holidays.
Also i know you shouldn't really expect entertainment, and the animation team did work very hard, but their shows every night were awful. just very bad miming to music everyday.
Which is a shame as other RIU's have been excellent.
Overall summary excellent location, just few minutes walk from beach. excellent food and staff and cleanliness.
Would definitely go again but outside holidays (check foreign holiday dates also)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renovated in 2017. Located in Olhos d'Agua in the Algarve. 6-Storey main building and 2-storey annex building. 15 Minutes' walk from Praia da Falesia beach. Access to a small cove from the hotel Riu Palace Algarve is via cliff side steps (an approximate 10 minute walk). 8 Km from Albufeira. 500 M from various shops. 35 Km from the airport. 500 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Guarana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Guarana Albufeira
- Clubhotel Riu Guarana Hotel Albufeira
- ClubHotel Riu Guarana Olhos De Agua, Portugal - Albufeira