“Good group hotel”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Olhos de Agua
Fortaleza, CE
“Good group hotel”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here mid April 2013. My brother, sister in law and mother also stayed there, this hotel was selected due to my mothers walking difficulty, there was no problem with wheel chair access, it was even possible to go on the track to the cliff top view point, and also down to the Olhos D'Agua village with the wheel chair.
The hotel is clean and efficient, we requested a room on a low floor level, which was ready and waiting. The food is nothing special, but adequate.
One good tip is that WiFi is charged, however there is free wired access in the rooms, the hotel will even lend you the cable.

Room Tip: External facing rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NickWag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Polish first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The short of it:
The food was bland and boring. The drinks were limited to what they would serve you. The pool water was too cold to enjoy. The jacuzzi was not heated. The bed was uncomfortable. The staff was not helpful and incompetint. The AC did not work. The rooms need updating. You pay for wifi. We had a good time in the Algarve but would have enjoyed it more if we stayed somewhere else.

The LONG of it:
My wife and I stayed at the ClubHotel RIU Guarana in Portugal from June 21st -24th while on our honeymoon. My wife wanted a few days to unwind from our travels across Europe before we flew back to the US so we decided to look for an all inclusive. I chose RIU because I had stayed at RIU resorts before while on award trips with my company and was impressed with the food quality and service at those locations. My expectation was that this resort would be of similar quality and service and we would have a few days to relax. I was horribly wrong.

We had decided to stay 3 nights instead of 2, this is where the problems start. Upon checking in I was asked which reservation I was checking in under and I gave them the confirmation number and told them the other reservation was supposed to have been canceled a month prior. After I checked in they offered to send someone to help with the bags, after waiting 10 minutes we gave up and carried them up to our room ourselves. Once in the room I get a call from the front desk and they are calling to clarify once again which reservation we were staying under and I told them for a third time that we were staying 3 nights that the other reservation was supposed to have been canceled.

After settling in it was time to talk to our 2 year son over the internet via FaceTime. To do this requires a wifi connection, one that was not in our room. I do not recall the last hotel I stayed at that did not have a wifi connection in the room. After talking with the front desk we learn that not only is wifi limited to the lobby, but that at a place that bills itself as an all-inclusive resort we would have to pay for a connection. Running out of time before our son went to bed and having not talked to him in a couple days we paid the 5 Euro and attempted to find a quite corner.

After our call it is time for drinks, we order a drink and discover that if it isn’t on the menu they can’t make it. I have stayed at a handful of all-inclusive resorts around the world and this is the first time this has been the case. I am also convinced that the first day the taps labeled red wine actually had rose in them, on the second and third days there was a light red table wine that was okay. Dinner was next, I was unimpressed with the quality of the food but hungry and tired from the day so we eat and go to our room. Our room air conditioner would turn on but would not blow cold air. The room fan was out of balance and we couldn’t turn it up enough to feel a breeze without it shaking so hard it would make banging noises. We called the front desk and they said they would have someone look at it the next day.

On the second morning with the do not disturb sign up we were woke multiple times by knocking from house keeping. Twice housekeeping tried to enter with their key. We left for breakfast and came back and they tried again while we were in the room. Then the front desk called and asked if we needed a late check out. After going down to the front desk and talking to the attendant we found out that the wrong reservation was canceled and that if we wanted to stay we had to pay for an additional night. No offer to correct the mistake, no apologies for the mistake, if we wanted to stay we would have to pay at the front desk for another night. In addition to inconvenience and frustration that was unnecessarily added to our trip, when I checked my credit card statement I was charged for more than my original reservation plus foreign transaction fees.

The air conditioner and over head fan were never fixed, there was no option for room service, no option to have a bottle of wine or even beer in our room, the towel hut closed before lunch, the pool was too cold to enjoy, the Jacuzzi wasn’t heated. The bed was uncomfortable and had a divider in the middle to make it look like a king even though it was really two beds. The seals around the patio door whistled when the wind blew. On both the second and third mornings housekeeping entered our room with do not disturb sign on the door before 09:00 while we were inside. The food quality was poor enough that we ate multiple meals off of the resort to avoid it. I understand that mistakes can and do happen and that things can and do break. However for us the entire experience was unacceptable.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel in the area, the Algarve is beautiful and worth the trip.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RTMoney
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed July 29, 2013

After a disastrous booking with Mark Warner leaving us little time to find somewhere else to stay, it was with some trepidation that we stepped in to the world of All Inclusive with fears of clients constantly inebriated and running wild. How wrong we were, this Hotel was just perfect for us with 2 kids 8 and 12. An effortless check in with excellent staff on the front desk and as mentioned from another poster throughout, the staff were all exceptional. yes, the decor in the rooms are a little dated but spotlessly cleaned every day. A huge choice of food for all meals and enough choice to keep little ones well fed. There are 3 restaurants here, 2 are just about continuously open throughout the day and an Asian Restaurant for the evenings.The Hotel was just about full and in our 7 days we never queued or waited for a table once. Each night, along with the abundent choices there was a Portuguese dish cooked on its own, delicious. On to drinks, there is the pool bar serving just about any drink that you like including cocktails, alcoholic and non alcoholic which our kids loved. There is also a self service bar with all soft drinks, beer, wine and coffee. If you want peace and quiet in the day, then stay by the smaller pool right next to the Hotel as the main pool is a constant hive of activities from a team of annimation staff who never seem to tire. Volleyball, Football, water fitness, pool games, Bingo, just a few of the activities available whilst the RIU Club kept our 8 year old daughter fully entertained with painting, Arts and Crafts and T shirt making. For the Tennis court as said this needs to be booked only on the day of play and we got our bookings on 4 of the 7 days in the evenings. You do need to be down early to reception though. Evening entertainment was at the main bar every night. This is tongue in cheek stuff and the kids got more out of it than we did . If you fancy a bed time tipple on your balcony there is no problem ordering from the bar and taking it up so I didnt bother to buy a bottle of my favourite tipple. A 300m walk from the hotel and there are some bars etc and Pinoquio, a shop that sells just about everything, good for blow up toys for the pool.the beach is 15 minutes with bars right on the front.

Just a point on sunbeds. The early birds are down to bag their spots at arounf 0730. I never made it down until around 0830 and there were loads of places to choose from.

A previous poster slated this Hotel, noise, hard beds etc and that is their view. We had a fabulous time. Remember that this is 4 star, if you want fluffy towels, no noise and soft beds then there is the Hilton down the road which we stayed at 2 years ago. Double the price we paid here and much less activities for the kids.

My only negative observation is that there should have been a timetable of activities for the 12-15 age group and my Son had to go and ask when activities were on.

A great mix of nationalities here, mostly families enjoying their holidays to the full. Cant wait to go back. The RIU staff are a credit to the company and for those of you that have already stayed here and reading this post, Ichy wah wah wah lol.

Room Tip: High floor if you are road side, but it is not a busy road anyway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank nickandjo2
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very good, but I can now understand why it is not a five star resort. I have read through a few of the different reviews and they cover almost everything.
Although there is some mistakes, the food is moderate but good and it becomes boring, as its the same dishes everyday. The rooms are excellent, all have air conditioning, and the sheets and towels are changed daily. The drinks options are the same as every resort, but they are plentiful. However, there is no free Internet, wifi is in the lobby and costs 35 euros a week.
Lastly the entertainment is rubbish, whatever anybody says no one can watch five people every night.
The wife and I had an enjoyable time, but thats because we spent quite a few days off site, visiting faro and Lisbon. I would not go back but that because it just was not worth the money we paid. There is just something missing, some sparkle was not there, you don't come away wishing you didn't have to come home. Instead at this resort, at the end you want to go.
Regarding Thomson, avoid at all costs. Late planes, lost luggage and terrible customer services.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Andrew B
Oxford
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at the Club Hotel Riu Guarana in July 2013, in Olos D'Agua. It's a great location, close to the beach with nice bars, restaurants and shops and not too busy with tourists. The hotel food was great, a really good selection and standard. Staff were always helpful and friendly. I thought that the décor in our room was a bit dated. The beds were hard but when we mentioned this they had mattress toppers which made a huge difference. Otherwise cleanliness was v. good. Local bus services to nearby towns easy to use. I would certainly go back and recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HolaWelshie
United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our second visit to The Guarana. We stayed from 11th July for 10 days with our 2 boys. Once again the staff were first class throughout the hotel, Francisco the Head man in the restaurants is a true legend the way he runs the 3 restuarants. The girls and guys at the front desk were brilliant. We made 4 visits to Waterparks and the guys always fixed us up with tickets,

We upgraded to a family room which was situated by the grill restuarant in its own block. We were very happy with the room and it was nice to be away from the main building.

The food as before was first class and very varied. No compliants at all in that department.

The entertainment crew were great and there was always something going on.

The jewel in the crown for me is the location. The beach walking here is as good as you get. The village of Olhos D'Agua is so un spoilt and so different from some of the bigger Algarve 'big towns'.

One last thing and a very important one for us. There is a good spread of nationalities staying at the hotel....its not full 'moaning minnie' Brits.

We'll be back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms in the block by the 'Grill restaurant' are great. Much quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JasonM926
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

we had a brilliant holiday made mainly by the hotel. the staff were so friendly and polite nothing was to much trouble for them. the room was spotless and it was so nice to have clean sheets every other day we had a bed topper which had been advised from previous reviews, we had a pool and sea view which was stunning.
food was lovely plenty of choice with an Asian and grill restaurant to also chose from we tried them all and found the food excellent in all for those that say the food is repetitive well yes it is but when you have so much choice then it would be up to you to have some thing different every day lets face it you don't have a completely different meal every day at home.
the pools were great, the quiet pool meant you never got disturbed by the entertainment team and the larger pool had all the fun.
the drinks were not strong but we don't go away to get drunk just to have a good selection of drinks to chose from the cava was really nice.
the beach was lovely and only a 10 minute walk from the hotel on the way to the beach you pass a selection of restaurants and shops in which we ate out a couple of times to sample the local food and i must say the fish is so fresh it was proberbly caught that morning.
alberfera is a lovely town well worth visiting by the local bus which takes 15 mins.
we would defiantly go back to this hotel and we do not often say that when we have been abroad, we went last two weeks of june so there was not to many children staying unlike some of the recent which states it was full of children so if you want a great hotel lovey food and staff that treat you well and have no children then go out of school time as it is classed as a family hotel so go in school holiday time without children do not moan if the entertainment is more focused on them.
returned very happy and relaxed after two weeks at riu guarana.

Room Tip: ask for a sea/pool view before you go we had 421 and it was brilliant.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Adriana Beach Club Hotel Resort
Falesia Hotel
Falesia Hotel
#4 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to ClubHotel Riu Guarana? Share your experiences!