Monte da Quinta Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Martinhal Quinta(Quinta do Lago)
Great 4.5/5
Four Seasons Fairways(Quinta do Lago)
  • Pool
Encosta do Lago(Almancil)
Great 4.5/5
Quinta Do Lago Hotel(Quinta do Lago)
  • Breakfast included
Very Good 4/5
Good 3.5/5
Very Good 4/5
Conrad Algarve(Almancil)
Excellent 5/5
All reviewskids clubbed suitemonte dapool areasunrise suitesmall kitchenstar hotelpeacock barthe underground car parkfabulous hotelreception teampoached eggsground floorpublic areashired a carsmall shopsitting room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I spent six nights at MDQ after deciding another hotel in the area was not sounding appealing any longer. MDQ had good ratings on tripadvisor and booking.com and I can understand why. The rooms were clean and modern and the common areas of the hotel had a modern ambience and style. The morning breakfast buffet was very good and the pool facilities appealing. The Golf Desk arranged tee times for me and I was able to play the four courses in the area I wanted to play. The dinner buffet was also tasty. I liked the underground parking available. Everything worked the way I had hoped for a very good stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Golftrekker
Reviewed October 28, 2011

This was our third trip to Portugal this year and having stayed at Martinhal in July my requirements were, villa with pool, short transfer time and on site restaurants. Monte Da Quinta fullfilled all these requirements and with a few tweaks it is somewhere I would return.

It's only a 20 minute transfer which is great with small children, this is the first time I've been to Quinta Da Lago and I loved the whole area, it is pristine, lots of restaurants and feels very safe. This is not the place to come if you are looking for a feel of local life, you really could be anywhere but as we only we only wanted somewhere to chill and relax with our children this suited us fine.

The approach is lovely and we received a warm welcome from reception. We were then taken to our Villa, we had a four bedroom villa with private pool. It was wonderfully spacious with very good sized bedrooms and all the facilites you could want in the kitchen. However it felt very sterile and didn't feel like a luxury villa. It is very overlooked and you don't have any privacy. Where it fell down for us was the pool, it was covered by overhanging trees and therefore didn't get any sun so it was never warm, this made it pretty unuseable with a 3 & 6 year old as they were shivering within a few minutes. This meant we used the other pools in the resort which were excellent but for us defeated the purpose of the holiday!

The main pool at the suites is lovely but quite small so you can't guarantee a seat, the pool attendant seemed to have his favourites who he would sort out and I saw money changing hands at one point which is not what you would expect! The other clubhouse pool was excellent and not many people used this so we stuck to this one.

We had dinner a couple of nights at Suites (buffett) which was excellent and very good value for money, there was also some good entertainment a few nights. Lunch was also very good at both pools.

The Kids clubs were excellent and our two children went for a couple of afternoons, they really enjoyed it.

We hired a car and ate out at a few different restaurants on the Da Quinta resort, you would be slightly isolated if you didn't have a car as nothing is really in walking distance, it would be great if there was resort bus service available so you could try out different places and have a drink!!

To sum up, it was a very easy relaxing holiday with small children in a lovely place, the villas are not what I would term as luxury but they are nice, I would return but would ensure our villa had a pool that was not in the shade and could be heated!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank IrishKaren
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We visited from 17 thru to 22 October 2011, and had a fantastic break.

Difficult to find fault with the Monte da Quinta Suites. Two minor niggles would be:

(1) A slightly disorganised breakfast service with the serving staff occasionally looking harassed when it gets busy, but the charm and willingness of the staff to help outweighs this comment.
(2) The range / adjustment on the air conditioning in the suite seemed limited. In the mornings the suite could be a bit chilly bearing in mind the cooler October evenings and nights.

Now for the many positives:

We particularly want to thank the pool attendant who was always helpful (nothing ever seemed to be too much trouble). My son chose not to swim, instead preferring to sit by the pool in the shade with his iPad. As the pool guy walked by, he frequently adjusted the parasol to make sure my son was sheltered from the sun.

The suite was equipped with all the neccesities you could need and a few more besides ( sun tan lotion provided, back up toothbrush, back up razor, sponges, the list could go on and on). There was a TV in both bedrooms and the main living area with UK channels just in case we needed to catch up on our favorite programme from home ( though I balked at my daughter wanting to watch Peter Andre - My Life).

The reception staff were always unfailingly helpful and all seem to be multilingual ( making an effort to speak the most basic Portugese seems to be appreciated however). The reception team will take time to give advice, directions, and can provide local maps.

As previously stated a car is a must. The Quinta do Lago resort spreads over several square miles.

Restaurant recommendations:

Julias for seafood and the best Piri Piri Chicken on the Algarve at Dunas Douradas
Izzys for seafood at Dunas Douradas
Sandbanks for seafood at the exclusive Vale do Lobo

In the Quinta do Lago shopping centre there are also a couple of good Pizzeria's.

Beach recommendation:

Quinta do Lago beach is a 5 minute drive ( 45 min walk) from the Monte da Quinta suites. You walk across a long wooden footbridge crossing the Ria Formosa, top the dunes and are faced with a long strip of sand stretching East and West for what seems like miles. Be warned however, regular flights into and out of Faro go overhead though we did not find it over obtrusive.

Day out recommendation:

At Guia, a 40 minute drive from the resort is Zoomarine. I have a bit of a problem with dolphins in captivity, but managed to get past this for the sake of my children and we had a great day out. The Dolphins looked sleek, well looked after and to my uneducated eyes seemed to really enjoy interacting and playing with the trainers. There are several other displays and an aquarium. Be sure not to miss the 3 malevolent looking crocodiles sunning themselves on the side of their pools. There is lots to do at Zoomarine including a small funfair, water slide, swimming pool and roaring rapids ride.

Tip:

As you drive round the Quinta do Lago resort watch out for sun burnt golfers dashing across the road from fairway to fairway, perched imperiously in their golf buggy's, with a determined look as they seek to reduce their handicap.

The acid test is would we go back to the Monte da Quinta suites. The answer is a definate yes.

Room Tip: Ask for resort view. These face the pool and villas, not the road.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank James T
Reviewed October 13, 2011

we stopped here for 5 days and didnt want to leave we could not fault the hotel its self but the location wasnt good absolutely nothing around it had to get taxis which were expensive ! but the hotel was amazing will definately be back

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2011

This was a weeks break in the sun ideal for golfers and young families, small pool for children and a large pool both indoor and outdoor.Ours was a relaxing break around the pool with our grandson of 3 years. Excellent accommodation, two large bedrooms, three bathrooms fully equipt with every toiletry you would require, rooms were kept to a very high standard of cleaniness daily. Hotel restaurant was geared to the British,we would have preferred a more European style menu ie: Portugese (when in Rome) but I think the regular clients prefer home style cooking. Not always was our order adhered to, special requirements were noted by the waiter but when the meal came it was as the menu stated, this happened on every order we made. There is nothing in the near vacinity to the Hotel, the beach was approx. 40 mins walk, but if you require a relaxing break around the pool then is for you. All the children seem to enjoy it to the max, I'm sure they would fully recommend it.

Room Tip: I would think all the rooms are of the same high standard, none of them are overlooking the pool, although they are facing in that direction, others are facing to the road side but all are surrounded with gardens and lawned areas, so I would say the ground level is preferable for children as the adults can sit out whilst they play.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family