“Excellent hotel”

Mayor Pelekas Monastery
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pelekas
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed for 1 week with my teenage daughter, great hotel, food excellent, beach resort lovely, and facilities very good. I would highly recommend it to families, not club 18 to 30 types. Only negative is the lack of sunbeds, whereby you have to pay 4 Euros per sun bed if not within the hotels allocated beach area.

6  Thank norriebeeston
There are newer reviews for Mayor Pelekas Monastery

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just visited this place in the beginning of September with my wife and here is the review ... while is fresh. From the start i agree with past travelers that this is not 5* but those are the Greek standards, so what can u do ...

Overall it was ok and i had a relaxing week there, i am only reviewing it so that people can get an idea and be prepared and for management (if they read it) to improve the property if they find my review helpful.

Beach (where i spent most of the time)
Very nice and clean, smooth entry and not very crowded. I think the best i ever visited.
Watch out for the rocks in the water u could get injuries.
Some time there are nice big waves and u can have a lot of fun but watch out if u are not a good swimmer there is no life guard on duty, flags are always on display.
Hotel has free sun beds and umbrellas on the beach but never enough for all ... easy solution to get one (other than running at 06:00 AM with the towels) is to rent with 1 euro / sunbed from next door beach bar. U can get beach towers for a deposit of 5 euro from reception and change it each 2 days, that will save you some room in the trunks.
NO BEACH BAR !!! that is a major downer since hotel offers you only A.I. accommodation and for a bloody drink you have to walk quite a bit and then climb some stairs till pergola restaurant / pool bar.

HOTEL and RESTAURANT
Hotel its not that bad but its had seen better years, there is rust and run down areas all over but with a little face lift it has good potential.
Has a nice placement on the hill and to reach the restaurant u need to use either some stairs or a cable-way that is some-kind of attraction there.
View from the beach facing the hotel is looking like a jungle with wild vegetation growing up, the good thing is that i cover the ugly parts from under the deck. IT could use some landscaping asap. Will make the hotel look better and get better reviews.
BTW: some people complain it is breaking a lot ... its the fault of tourists, there is a big sign that only 4 should use it at the time but no one seams to know how to read !!! Read the sign people !!!

Internet WiFi is free but as all free things is not that good, i guess its not that bad in vacation since i get the chance to leave my iphone in the room and take a break from emails :-)

Staff was friendly and waiters were polite and effective. They could use better uniforms.

Restaurant area: Food is ok and it vary, but of course if you are very fuzzy you might end up not eating at all. I eat only grill and salad all week so i cant comment on the other food. My wife tried the fish and she was fine with it. But the inside place it self is very noisy, the waiters trolley should not be placed where you eat, should be hidden and if you eat outside the wasps will ruin the meal, they are flying like crazy around your plate.
Also very important is the cutlery and dishes handling, i didn't find it very sanitary and often stupid tourist made things worse by sticking hands all over but since i have a good stomach is survive it :-)
Gentleman should wear long pants at dinner but some people either didn't knew that and never pack a pair of long pants when they left or they are simply rude.
The deck need a face-lift asap.

Pool: ridiculous small, i never use it but the sunbeds are free all the time there.

Beverages: local stuff, not good at all. i only tried the beer (it was was cold and that was the only quality of it, maybe 2% alcohol or less) and (very bad) coffee. So i had to go out for drinks or buy from hotel mini-market and filled up the mini-fridge.
Water is Corfu is not drinkable so you can either BUY bottled Water ??? or get water from the pool bar that is stored in some glass recipients ... they put ice inside it to cool it ... i didn't try it, too mysterious for me :-)
Fresh drinks are not included ...

Now the cherry on top : all close down at 23:00 so if you are not tired you better go out to Petra bar next doors, or other bar on the beach(long walk), it is very nice, you can dance and party, prices are a bit up but you are in vacation so you will ignore that :-)

Animation team: there is a group of 2 Italians and 3 polish, they do shows almost each night. On day time they do all kind of sports and games and keep a good atmosphere. People seams to enjoy them and the shows i saw were pretty funny. I wont say more, you will be the judge of it.
They could use better uniforms and costumes, they deserve it.
As suggestion: I would have 2 animations teams: one for sports and day time operations and 2nd one for evenings so that the evening guys look more like "stars" and will have more time to prepare.

Rooms: rooms are ok, as i said kinda old general look but as i said its not 5*. They seams clean so i didn't have any big problem with the room. AC was ok. Pillows are not comfortable.
Tip: there is dvd-player in the room so you can bring some dvd from home with movies or ask at the reception for what ever they have.

That`s about it. I hope this was helpful.

OFF TOPIC: Trips
Island Tour: u will loose 1 day and you will see only few attractions and you will be always on the run. They are nice locations or lookout points but you can hire a car and spend as much time as you want by your own.
Paxos-Antipaxos: this will ruin 1 day, with 3+3 hours on a crowded boat, maybe if you would be on another hotel that is closer will be ok but from this point its a lost day for 2 nice pictures.

Room Tip: Sea View is always better since the other are facing walls and have small balconies. Some land view...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank TonyKukoc
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very nice location and beach in Corfu. Even if the hotel is note like a 5*, comparing with other countries like Turkish, the view and the restaurant seems to be. Some rooms with land view are not so good (somebody already told us in a preview review), looks like a basement, but we have lucky, and received a nice room. The restaurant are nice and the waiters pay attention for everyone, and are very polite so I think it can be looks like a 5* according with Greek classification, but none further than other classification. Anyway for very pretentions peoples I suggest to look another location / region. Overall, Corfu, and this hotel was almost perfect in my opinion, because you can visiting a lot of place, and also can do a lot of things, not just to stay in the resort like other regions. I'd like to make some suggestions like to open a bar on the beach, maybe to change the type of bear :) , I think Mythos is better than Alpha, a few times I preferred to go on the bar on the neighborhood of Aquis beach, Naftis, for a better beer & closer bar. Also, even is just all inclusive (not ultra all), they can offer water and beverages in mini fridge in the room (not necessary FOC), instead to have to go on pool bar or other place to buy its :( .
But, as I said, overall, I think it was better than in Turkey, even there the hotel was really a 5* Hotel, but we had to stay just in resort, better for rest, but worse if you can do more.
PS: it is grateful for couples, friends, an also for family with children.

Room Tip: Sea view it will be a better option than land view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank marcel_grama
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The hotel has a perfekt location and the sunrises are very beautiful.
Also the food, swimming pool and the beach are very nice. The best oft the hotel is the ANIMATION TEAM !! I've never seen so good working people like them before! They have a little bit for everybody. On day they offer different sports and on the evening the fantastic shows. They are all very talented, especially TOM, who was the most fascinating! The bad thing of them is, that you will miss them so much when you leave them..
But all in all a great hotel !!
A PLACE TO BE ;-)

5  Thank Christina5060
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Location 5 star. Hotel 2 star.
I've just come back from the aquis beach hotel

The good points:-
The location is fantastic. It has the most beautiful sunsets. The sea is warm clear and shallow. It's the best beach I have ever been to.

The animation team are great. They work so hard and are a credit to the hotel.

The rooms are ok. Not what you would call five star, a bit run down in all areas. Clean I'd say though but there are ants everywhere. Even in bed with you. No privacy on the balcony, you are virtually on top of each other. Our room was 152 steps up from the pool too which was exhausting.

The reception staff are nice and helpful

Corfu has some beautiful places and its worth going out and about. Take insurance on the car because the roads are crazy.

Bad points
The pool is tiny and someone defecated in it twice and all the staff did was scoop it out. We also saw several injurys from slipping around the pool because some of it is wood decking.

The food is average and doesn't warrant 5*. Squash which they called juice in the mornings. We dont eat meat so cant speak for that but the fish was disgusting soggy white stuff. On the last few days the restaurant was a shambles. No tables made up. The staff were often arguing with each other which made it unpleasant. They nearly always forgot to offer coffee in morning or drinks at lunch and dinner. The staff all seem unhappy.

The thing that I really object to is the bar staff attitude -apart from Nasia. They are all so miserable and rude. The hotel is either all inclusive or not. We have paid up front for the food and drinks. IT ISN'T FREE!!! We started to go down to the bars on the beach because it was so awkward asking for even a drink of hot water for a cup of tea (The Naftis bar on the beach is lovely, really nice staff). Often the staff seemed to be making comments about people in Greek which made us uncomfortable. The drinks at the pool bar are served in flimsy plastic cups which collapse. I understand the reasoning but better quality cups could be used. Do the management employ miserable people to put you off asking for anything i wonder. A false economy because I wouldn't go back or recommend the hotel.

I have a serious illness and have to make the most of my holidays because I don't know how many I have left. You pay your money in good faith but you are treated like a scrounger at this hotel. They don't seem to understand this is our holiday. For the rest of the year we work very hard in difficult jobs.

The manager seems to write a reply to every complaint pointing out it meets the five star rating. I have read the guidelines and this hotel doesnt meet them. The answer is sort your staff out , don't provide all inclusive and be more honest. It's not good enough. I feel sorry for a majority of the staff because I suspect it's the management which is the problem.

There are also some very noisy beach bars which play loud music until the early hours.

6  Thank Shelley080266
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I am a 16 year old teenage girl and I have stayed at the Pelekas Beach Hotel for ten days with my father and my 18 year old sister.
It was a nice holiday, Corfu is a beautiful island in all it's ways!
It's a good hotel, we had a sea view room, great view, we could see the pool area, the beach and the nearby bars on the beach too, the sea view rooms are ideal if you want to spot the free sun beds on the beach and by the pool first thing when you wake up!

Restaurants-
There was free restaurants;
The "all inclusive" buffet restaurant by the pool.
The "upper class" restaurant underneath the reception.
And the Sushi bar.
It turns out, the buffet restaurant was the only one that was all inclusive.. You had to pay for the other restaurants in the hotel, so guys if you think that the hotel is ALL INCLUSIVE, it isn't really...
Like the bars, one by the pool and one by the reception indoors.
After 11pm, you have to pay for your drinks, when you didn't all day because it's supposed to be ALL INCLUSIVE. And by 1am the bars closed, might as well, because after 11pm everybody disappeared, there was not one soul around. So if you want somebody to chat to at the bar, you are better off going out to the nearby bars, which went on until the early hours of the morning.
So in the end we sticked to the buffet restaurant, that wasn't excellent.. The food was the only big let down really..

The pool and Beach-
During the day, the pool was ideal, because it's near to the bar but the problems were the lack of sun beds and the pool size, it was smaller than we thought it would be and you couldn't go in without being splashed by other people jumping in and you can't exactly swim it was so crowded. And because it's the only pool, and if there isn't any free sun beds you have to walk down to the beach to lie down, but if you got thirsty you had to race through the boiling sand ( I'm not joking, at some point I saw a kid cry walking through that, ahah ) and walk up a thousand stairs to finally reach the bar. ( Imagine doing it in the heat as-well. )

The staff-
The staff and barmen(maids) were very nice to everybody, especially the barmaid "Irene", she was always smiling, everybody seem to adore her, she was definitely our favorite!

The animation team-
Lovely people, always willing to put a smile on your face.
Great evening shows!
But somedays, when I just wanted to relax by myself and get a tan on my sun bed around the pool, I got a bit annoyed that they were always coming towards me and trying to get me up and do some sporty game, when I used to refuse they would sometimes call me "lazy" or "not nice". I am on my holiday, I need to relax too.
Because of the animation team I think it was more of a family kiddy holiday..
It's ideal for children.

Despite the negative, it was a great holiday!

Room Tip: Get a sea view room, definitely !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Tippi B
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have just returned from a one week holiday at the Aquis Pelekas Beach Hotel and I had to write a review which I don't normally do! I went with my husband and 2 and 6 year old boys, along with our friends and their two children (aged 4 and 6).

On arrival we were given a friendly welcome and shown to our neighbouring rooms. We both had a stunning sea view and the rooms were clean and spacious. Ours had a cot as requested. The staff on reception - Litsa, Sofia, Elena and Anneta were so friendly and hospitable and always ready to help.

We went straight to the pool and found our regular spot by the baby pool which was perfect for our kids. Both pools were clean and there were always lots of beds available and clean towels each day. The bar is close by and you can enjoy the all inclusive package and stock up on drinks all day. Yes, you have to pay for bottled water, but if you are not too precious about it, there are jugs of cold water and cups available at the bar so no problems there.

The beach is a stones throw away and it is beautiful - clean and sandy. It's just perfect for children and as soon as they get fed up, you are back by the pool within a minute.

On to the food - it was fantastic! With four fussy kids to cater for, there was always something that they liked. There was lots of fresh food at each meal and the menu was switched up daily so we never got bored. The fresh grill was fantastic and each day there was something different - fish, pork, turkey, chicken, beef etc...we had it all! The staff were very friendly and accommodating and were more than happy to save a table large enough for our group of eight with high chair. The manager in particular is fantastic and couldn't do enough for us.

I had to save the best till last - the Animation Team! I have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and have seen some great teams that are really enthusiastic and get you up and taking part in all the daily sporting activities and pool games. However, these 5 are a cut above the rest! Not only do they run the kids club, exercise and fitness classes and sports - water polo, beach volley, table tennis etc...(We should know as our husbands took part in virtually everything), they also put on an absolutely brilliant show with dancing and comedy sketches each night. They really are a talented bunch and made the holiday. Our kids keep repeating all the jokes and singing the theme tune to the holiday 'Pronto Giuseppe!' Special mention to Tommy (hilarious!) and to Magic Mike who was a great table tennis partner for my husband who loves to play.

I would highly recommend this hotel as a great destination for a family holiday.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Stella E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pelekas
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Grecotel Eva Palace
Grecotel Eva Palace
#1 of 3 in Kommeno Bay
Aeolos Beach Resort

Been to Mayor Pelekas Monastery? Share your experiences!