I recently got back from what was supposed to be a 2 night stay in Sunrock as a chance to explore the Island a little more, since the family were staying in Sidari (not my kind of resort). The contrast was fantastic! Secluded, fairly busy but not over-run, the people staying there were laid back, a lot of fun and it was an overall great experience.
The dinners were perfect - all home made by the staff and volunteers (who worked their socks off to make sure you were having a good time!), although I didn't get to try the breakfast since I took full advantage of the late night bar...
It is a very short walk down to the beach, where you can use the sunbeds and tables from Andreas's restaurant (who also cooks up some fantastic fish from his latest catch).
For the price, you couldn't really ask for more. I stayed in the 5 bed dorm, which was fairly small and could get quite warm (a fan would be perfect to make a draft), but after paying a little more for a 3 bed room dorm, those problems were pretty much solved.
The terrace is incredible with a fantastic view of the sunset. I'd definitely recommend going down to the beach at night to watch the sky with a bottle of some locally made wine/Raki...
A couple of things I will mention is that:
- Make sure you bring enough cash for your stay from Corfu Town. There is no ATM in Pelekas and you must get a bus (which is up a rather steep hill!) to the town to withdraw money. Drinks + extra food work on a rolling tab system so you pay everything when you leave, so just keep an eye on what you are spending and have a bit of self control.
- There was an issue with a group being dropped back off at the airport for their flight and had to get a taxi. Just make sure you confirm everything and are prepared to pay 35 euro if worst comes to worst.
- On your last morning, clear the things out of your room to avoid getting charged for an extra night.
Other than that, it was paradise and I will be returning as soon as I can!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Sunrock Backpackers Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunrock Backpackers Hostel Pelekas, Corfu