“Changed my opinion of Corfu, altogether!”

Sunrock Backpackers Hostel
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Changed my opinion of Corfu, altogether!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

I recently got back from what was supposed to be a 2 night stay in Sunrock as a chance to explore the Island a little more, since the family were staying in Sidari (not my kind of resort). The contrast was fantastic! Secluded, fairly busy but not over-run, the people staying there were laid back, a lot of fun and it was an overall great experience.

The dinners were perfect - all home made by the staff and volunteers (who worked their socks off to make sure you were having a good time!), although I didn't get to try the breakfast since I took full advantage of the late night bar...

It is a very short walk down to the beach, where you can use the sunbeds and tables from Andreas's restaurant (who also cooks up some fantastic fish from his latest catch).

For the price, you couldn't really ask for more. I stayed in the 5 bed dorm, which was fairly small and could get quite warm (a fan would be perfect to make a draft), but after paying a little more for a 3 bed room dorm, those problems were pretty much solved.

The terrace is incredible with a fantastic view of the sunset. I'd definitely recommend going down to the beach at night to watch the sky with a bottle of some locally made wine/Raki...

A couple of things I will mention is that:

- Make sure you bring enough cash for your stay from Corfu Town. There is no ATM in Pelekas and you must get a bus (which is up a rather steep hill!) to the town to withdraw money. Drinks + extra food work on a rolling tab system so you pay everything when you leave, so just keep an eye on what you are spending and have a bit of self control.

- There was an issue with a group being dropped back off at the airport for their flight and had to get a taxi. Just make sure you confirm everything and are prepared to pay 35 euro if worst comes to worst.

- On your last morning, clear the things out of your room to avoid getting charged for an extra night.

Other than that, it was paradise and I will be returning as soon as I can!

Room Tip: The 3 bed room (25 euro) is a little cooler and has a mosquito net and private bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank SteSte91

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Slovak first
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Sunrock Hostel is the best place if you want to have a beautiful tan,great food and amazing new friends. It's the perfect hideaway from the world and in the same time,you can reach everything with a little effort.Corfu town is a little hike and a short bus ride away,and if you are lucky you can even hitchike up to the bus stop.The beach is beautiful and it's true that you can see the most amazing sunset from the terrace of the hostel. Magda cooks great food every night that is included in the price and her family is really sweet and friendly.Don't hesitate to book there,you won't regret it :) I will be back for sure!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Zsoo
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I don't think I've ever stayed somewhere where both the negative and positive reviews have been so accurate. There were a lot of good and bad things about this place:
The good:
-great views of Pelekas beach, especially at sunset (from common area not the room)
-easy walk to the beach
-the other guests were great to talk with
-breakfast and dinner were amazing (made with food from the garden)
-pick up/drop off (although I almost was not dropped off at the airport and was only taken bc someone in the family was going into town around that time anyway)
-the laid back feeling of the place
The bad:
-place is not in great shape
-the bathrooms were gross (lots of bugs in the shower) and often out of toilet paper
-no air conditioning
-I was eaten alive my mosquitoes at night, there were a lot in the room and I actually had bites all over from head to toe (even on my face and eyelids)
-I reserved a two bed female only dorm, but was placed in a room with a guy (which was a bit awkward)

Overall, it was an ok place to stay. It kind of felt like staying on a hippie commune, with the homemade family style dinners and the laid back vibes, but also the bugs and rundown rooms. This place is probably better for someone with more of a hippie spirit and some bug spray.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank piglover217
Blue Lake, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

When I decided to stay at SunRock, I had no expectations...though when affordable accommodations for a backpacking holiday win me over, I tend to expect the bare minimum from my stay. Little did I know that I would be in for the biggest surprise of my life upon arrival! SunRock Hostel is a family owned and operated business, and right away I felt as if I had been welcomed into the family. Every night we were served a delicious, home-cooked meal using all-natural, organic ingredients from their family farm - everything from the meat, to the fruits & veggies, to the honey you put in your yogurt (and yes, the yogurt's homemade too!) is all straight from the farm. Bliss!! And of course, I can't help but mention the fact that the hostel not only overlooks the sea, but also is a two minute walk away! Needless to say, I extended my stay AND would've stayed much longer had I not had a previous engagement to attend soon afterward. I was sad to depart, but I can't wait to return!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

The fact that this place offers airport/ferry transfers is a winner anyway... I actually had to wait a couple of hours for my transport but they apologised and explained they were down one car at the time. Bathrooms are basic but hot water in the showers. Dorm rooms are standard but clean. Breakfast and dinner is included which is fantastic and delicious. The hostel is quiet tired but it's such good value. Top notch view, nice beach (and they will tell you where there is a mud beach which is great fun). Overall a great stay and I'd definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Overall I was very pleased with Sunrock. Mada is an excellent cook and the food was amazing. The beach was beautiful. Everything was clean, the bathrooms are a little rustic but fine. I was picked up and dropped off at the ferry which was great! I would definitely go back to sunrock.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank joseearb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

I stayed here for a few nights and loved it! It has an amazing view over the meditteranean and is a minutes walk to the beach. The food here is all home cooked for you and is lovely, and included! Great! The showers are hot and the rooms are nice. Highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed November 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pelekas
Philoxenia Hotel Corfu
Mayor Pelekas Monastery
Bella Vista Apartments
Bella Vista Apartments
#2 of 10 in Pelekas

Been to Sunrock Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!