If you are looking for a place to stay which has great showers, wonderful staff and is very comfortable then I would recommend Villa Lanterna. We stayed in an apartment for seven nights, and were very fortunate to have a room which opened onto the pool (yes! There is a pool, although Co-op/Thomas Cook don't seem to advertise this) The owner told us that the pool was newly installed this year, and there is a bubbly-jucuzzi area. The apartment comes equipped with everything you need for a week away, the kitchen had a couple of hobs and plenty of equipment, you couldn't cook a roast dinner in there, but why would you want to?
It's a very short stroll to the bay and two fab restaurants - again, wonderful staff and service. The beach, although pebbly, is beautiful and quiet. We swam in the sea as often as we could and simply enjoyed our surroundings.
Yes, Lanterna is in the middle of nowhere, but we knew this when we booked, and were very pleased with the serenity of Zaton. The staff work hard to overcome these limitations, a free bus to the local super market (well stocked and cheap) and frequent shuttles to the Old Town. Okay, so they only run three times a day, but it's no hardship to hang around on the beach whilst you wait or stay another hour in the Old Town.
Another thing that impressed me with Lanterna is they didn't over charge for drinks (as many hotels do) you could happily sit and enjoy a beer on the terrace for the bargain price of 20 Kuna.
The staff made this hotel, they clearly worked hard to keep their guests happy and the rooms spotless. If we needed anything they were happy to help at any time and were keen to share information and tips with us.
Whilst we were there the opening game of the World Cup (Brazil v Croatia) was played, the hotel installed an extra TV for the celebrations and many of the locals came up to watch. It was a great atmosphere and the Croatian fans just enjoyed supporting their team. We spent a lot of time on the terrace and met some lovely people whilst we were there - I don't think we'd have necessarily done this in a large, faceless hotel.
All-in-all we came back feeling relaxed, and that's exactly what we needed. We stayed in a beautiful place with generous staff and met some lovely guests. If you are expecting all singing, all dancing, shiney-shiney then perhaps this isn't the hotel for you. But if you want clean, comfortable facilities and friendly staff then give this place a go. We expect to return one day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Lanterna is situated 8 km from Dubrovnik, in Stikovica, Zaton bay 50m away from the beach. It's property contains 4 double apartments, 4 one room apartments, 2 studio apartments and four rooms with balconies. In the Villa's restaurant breakfast and the dinner are served. The Villa's van will drive you to Dubrovnik and back three times daily. Come and you will love it! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Hotwire so you can book your Villa Lanterna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Lanterna Apartments Hotel Dubrovnik
- Villa Lanterna Zaton, Croatia