“Wonderful place and people.”
Review of Villa Lanterna

Villa Lanterna
Ranked #1 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Zaton
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful place and people.”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

If you are looking for a place to stay which has great showers, wonderful staff and is very comfortable then I would recommend Villa Lanterna. We stayed in an apartment for seven nights, and were very fortunate to have a room which opened onto the pool (yes! There is a pool, although Co-op/Thomas Cook don't seem to advertise this) The owner told us that the pool was newly installed this year, and there is a bubbly-jucuzzi area. The apartment comes equipped with everything you need for a week away, the kitchen had a couple of hobs and plenty of equipment, you couldn't cook a roast dinner in there, but why would you want to?

It's a very short stroll to the bay and two fab restaurants - again, wonderful staff and service. The beach, although pebbly, is beautiful and quiet. We swam in the sea as often as we could and simply enjoyed our surroundings.

Yes, Lanterna is in the middle of nowhere, but we knew this when we booked, and were very pleased with the serenity of Zaton. The staff work hard to overcome these limitations, a free bus to the local super market (well stocked and cheap) and frequent shuttles to the Old Town. Okay, so they only run three times a day, but it's no hardship to hang around on the beach whilst you wait or stay another hour in the Old Town.

Another thing that impressed me with Lanterna is they didn't over charge for drinks (as many hotels do) you could happily sit and enjoy a beer on the terrace for the bargain price of 20 Kuna.

The staff made this hotel, they clearly worked hard to keep their guests happy and the rooms spotless. If we needed anything they were happy to help at any time and were keen to share information and tips with us.

Whilst we were there the opening game of the World Cup (Brazil v Croatia) was played, the hotel installed an extra TV for the celebrations and many of the locals came up to watch. It was a great atmosphere and the Croatian fans just enjoyed supporting their team. We spent a lot of time on the terrace and met some lovely people whilst we were there - I don't think we'd have necessarily done this in a large, faceless hotel.

All-in-all we came back feeling relaxed, and that's exactly what we needed. We stayed in a beautiful place with generous staff and met some lovely guests. If you are expecting all singing, all dancing, shiney-shiney then perhaps this isn't the hotel for you. But if you want clean, comfortable facilities and friendly staff then give this place a go. We expect to return one day.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jennavieve82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Ramsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The hotel was more than I expected from its rating, rooms were clean and comfortable with a modern bathroom. The balcony overlooked the bay and was big enough for us to sit out.
The pool was also bigger than the plunge pool described in the details.
The staff where amazing especially Maja who gave us information about the area and drove us in her car to the supermarket as the hotel bus was out of action.
Food average in Dubrovnik, however cheap. A trip to Magellan restaurant just outside Dubrovnik old town worth a visit as the food is classy and very reasonably priced. Two course meal with wine £15.00 a head with the most delicious chocolate soufflé I have ever had.
All in all my sister and I had a great time and will go back again, hopefully soon

Room Tip: sea view great, ask for a kettle
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris D
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Firstly I would like to say that having read the reviews it is obvious that some people don't do any research before going on holiday!
If you do, you would know that the Lanterna is in a quiet location but close to Dubrovnik.
I found it was just was I was looking for. A small but pleasant beach with 2 restaurants and a very short walk from the hotel. It is considerably cheaper than staying in Dubrovnik.
I experienced none of the issues that other people have mentioned - it may be that the hotel has been updated, My room was large, clean and with a balcony overlooking the bay. Stunning views. The bathroom was modern and better than mine at home!

I cannot praise the staff highly enough, especially Maja who went out of her way to ensure that we enjoyed our stay, answering a million questions regarding everything from Croatian pronunciation to the country's history and even taking us to the local supermarket in her own car when the hotel minibus was unavailable. She has a great command of English and even understands our British sense of humour.
Make sure that you visit the restaurant 'Magellan' which I think belongs to the same owner
as the Lanterna. Suberb food, attentive service and Maja you were right about the chocolate souffle it was to die for!
This is not a five star hotel as people can tell from the price of the holiday but as far as I am concerned gives a five star service and I can't wait to go back.
My thanks to all at the Lanterna for making my holiday so enjoyable

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Helga O
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

At first I thought this is a bit to far from the Old City. But needn't of worried, our host Adarko took us into the city and collected us. He was polite, friendly and very helpful. The setting was perfect.The food was excellent and price for the optional dinner was VERY reasonable. Our room was lovely with the added bonus of of a beautiful view. Would definetly return!

Room Tip: Higher floosr have wonderful sea and mountain view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank janice v
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Absolutely loved Villa Lanterna. Adarko, our host treated us like royalty. Beautiful surroundings, very peaceful, with transport laid on to take us into Dubrovnik. The best of both worlds. Our room was excellent as was the food. Can't fault it. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deborah G
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Although Villa Lanterna is a little bit of the beaten track we found it a nice and relaxing base for exploring the nearby busy Dubrovnik. The staff could not do enough for us, breakfast was very good and with waitress service rather than buffet style which made a nice change.
We used the shuttle bus every day and found it reliable and convenient.
Our TV would not tune into any English speaking channels all week and never got sorted out despite mentioning this but as I am not a big TV fan this did not bother me at all, however I would have liked a reading light over the bed as the room was quite dimly lit but apart from this could not think of any other things to complain about.
On arrival we noticed there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room as advertised but as soon as we mentioned this a kettle and cups were brought.
Overall very pleasant place to stay and excellent value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed one night after driving down from Split before staying in the center of Dubrovnik. We had a top floor room overlooking the bay, it was incredibly relaxing. The young woman who worked the front desk bent over backwards for us. Although I am glad I stayed in downtown for the next few nights as I liked being able to walk everywhere this was a relaxing break. I could sit and stare at the water here for a week easy. My only beef is there is no coffee maker in the rooms and they don't start breakfast til 8am, I need coffee at 630am!! Room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chefcfp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zaton
Valamar Argosy Hotel
#26 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Hotel Sipan
Hotel Sipan
#1 of 1 in Sipanska Luka

Been to Villa Lanterna? Share your experiences!