“Buyer Beware”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Faa'a
Walla Walla, Washington
“Buyer Beware”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

If you are only staying for one night on your way into or out of Papeete, this hotel will be perfectly fine. The location is the main reason to choose this place as it is right across the street from the airport, lit up with a light sign. You cannot miss it or get lost on foot. Beware the stairs out of the parking lot and the busy street to cross. It is difficult with rolling suitcases, bags, kids, etc. The hill up to the hotel and then to the rooms is indeed steep. It is manageable with baggage, but at the end of the day, not pleasant. Just suck it up and climb it or get a taxi and pay $$. The front desk person was gruff at check in, but got us into our room quickly and a guy came to help pull our bags the rest of the way up the hill to get into the room. It had been raining and everything was slick, so this was very nice. Be aware that the heavily advertised (free) Wi-Fi does NOT work, at all. You can pick up the signal from any number of different routers but no log-in page ever loaded for me on my phone, iPad, nor computer, nor my husband's phone. I would not have minded, but the internet was heavily advertised as a major reason to choose this place. I really needed internet as I was traveling away from business and needed to be able to check in on things and take care of business before the long flight back. The other disappointment is that the rooms, while clean enough, were cramped and stifling hot. The AC did come on, but it took a good ten minutes, and after the long steep climb to access the hotel (it is on quite a hill) on rainy night, I just wanted a cool place to recover. Lastly, we were forced into a room with a double and a twin bed because I had my 4-yr-old with me. I was happy to sleep in the same bed like we have done so many times at home for togetherness, especially before our long (and somewhat scary to a kid) flight home but they required us to pay for an additional bed at a cost of $50. Really not pleased about that, but there was no other hotel apparently around, it was late at night, and I just wanted a shower and a sleep so paid up. What can you do?!

Thankfully the AC worked and was quiet. There were no blankets, so do not turn the AC on too aggressively.

The room, sheets, towels -- all apparently clean. Decorative cover on bed looked grimy. Folded it up and put it away right away.

Walls thin, can easily hear neighbors, and they put everyone all together in the same wing/side. Fortunately our neighbors, who were loud, finished their business and went to sleep quickly.

Good breakfast croissants. If you have been at a resort with packets of Nutella, grab some before you come here. The other breakfast items were not edible.

They make families pay for another bed in an already cramped room. Even if they prefer to sleep together and have pre-paid for a different room, they will not let you have it. They force more payment for it even if you say no, smaller room and bed is fine.

Across airport - up two or three flights of stairs (watch out with luggage) - cross busy road - and up a steep hill (watch out if rainy, it's slippery). Consider a cab if you have a lot of luggage and its night/rainy.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a 'better' type of room, just consider taking a taxi if you have...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlottesville
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This place is what it is - a not cheap (but nothing is cheap in Tahiti) - basic motel that is close enough to the airport to walk. A lot of flights land late and take off early from Papeete, so for some it will be worth staying there. I had seen the photos and expected basic - but it was more bare bones than I thought it would be. We had one sheet on the bed - that's it - a sheet. No blankets or other cover. As we slept, we were either freezing from the A/C and no blanket - or hot after turning off the A/C. We had a terrible night's sleep as a result. I woulnd't stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Faa'a hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We arrived after dark and the hotels neon sign can be seen from the runway. We picked our luggage up and just walked towards it - it took us under 10 mins to get into the lobby. Yes, there is a hill but it was not really an issue for us.

Rooms are basic but very clean. White bed sheets and towels were spotless (at least to the naked eye) and looked new. Enjoy the free breakfast and wifi as it will probably be the last thing you won’t have to pay for if you are heading out to the outer islands. Not a resort but the best cheap option for staying by the airport for a connection. The IC is great if you want to spend more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I found this a very clean, attractive, convenient place to stay. I stayed for two nights coming in late one night after the Lan flight from Easter Island and leaving one day later very early on an island flight. Walked over to the airport to check in the night before at the air tahiti kiosk, had a sandwich and walked back ( a five min. walk). Took the bus from right in front of the motel into Papeete during the day and saved a big taxi fare. Also liked the big decks on the airport end that you can sit on and watch the planes landing. All in all a nice option that I would not hesitate to do again.

1 Thank kevinigloo
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My flight returning from Bora Bora to LAX was cancelled due to a heavy rainstorm which essentially flood the tarmac. Air Tahiti Nui handled it poorly but as agreed, they did put the entire plane of passengers in hotels. Some passengers were ferried to the Radisson and I to the Airport Motel. Not sure why. I called the Intercontinental myself and was told there were no rooms available there or at Le Meridien.

I was extremely disappointed - after all it was 330 am and I had waited 7 hours in the airport already, but the motel turned out to be better than I expected. It was very clean, and free Wi-Fi - nice, after paying for it in Bora Bora at a luxury resort.

But as others have noted - there are no amenities. No body soap, no conditioner or lotion, the AC is very cold and there are no blankets on the bed (so you either turn the AC off and get hot, or leave it on and freeze). There is no help with luggage and I had several pieces and was put on the 3rd floor; traveling alone, it made it difficult to get to the top floor without taking several trips. Breakfast was not worth having, IMHO, even though Air Tahiti Nui had not provided us with dinner the night before and I was starving. A Power Bar saved the morning!

The reception clerk was very pleasant and considerate especially given all of our bad moods. The hotel had send mini-vans to pick us up at the airport; however each time, for some unknown reason, the drivers would get out and simply disappear. I'm talking for like 20 minutes - the vans would be full with exhausted cranky passengers who just wanted to get to the hotel and we couldn't find the driver. I saw this happen twice before I got onto my mini-van and the driver disappeared for mine as well!

All in all if you have low expectations you will do ok for a short stay.

1 Thank Winged_Scapula
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I think everyone has said they same exact thing about this hotel which is all true...I am 41 and did not see the actually steps through the middle of the parking lot upon arrival from Bora Bora...so I wheeled my luggage up on a sidewalk to the right, crossed the street and carried my luggage which weighed 39 40 pounds up the hill...I was a little winded when I go to the top and I was also wearing a backpack...I did see a man later in the afternoon maybe in his late 50's wheel 2 suitcases up the hill by himself...He did stop at the top but then continued on...Yes it is a little steep but it can be done...obviously there is no shame taking a cab there...everything is French Polynesia can be expensive...I paid $22 for spagehtii in Bora Bora...was it worth it..probably not. ..but I wanted to try it...Yes it is basic...my double was actually two twins pushed and tucked together..You are a five minute walk from the supermarket if you need anything...Yes the shower did not get real hot but it was warm enough...The ac is deadly...It is silent...It seems like it is not working but then you come back to your room in an hour and it is very very cold...The bed just has a fitted sheet and a top sheet...so I actually got cold with the ac on...I ahd to turn it off a couple of times..The room has a bar of soap and shampoo....I walked to the airport in the morning walked straight across the street down the steps and to the gate...It takes 5 minutes...I had read to be there 3 hours early...so of course I listened...They had a flight to japan leaving at 630 on Air Tahiti Nui...and my air France flight left at 7:50...SO I am in line at 4:50....the third person in line.....and they are not open yet...but within minutes they opened up and I was checked in and through security within ten minutes...Inside there is one restaurant and 2 duty free stores which the prices are pretty good...and there is also a bathroom that has a shower...which I think is kinda cool something you do not really see unless you are at an airport lounge. SO if you really are not done sightseeing or shopping or need that McDonalds fix...do not go through security so fast...

Also The hotel is interesting as it uphill and I would and kinda on a corner....right below it there is a house with the usually dog and rooster I believe and next door or to the right of the hill there are houses with dogs and roosters...an interesting unique touch for a hotel...and yes they bark and cock ca doodle do...Yes the view from the hotel of the sunset from Moorea is breathtaking...GEt your cameras ready....and at least to me I enjoyed seeing aircraft land and take off..Oh yeah...there is a refrigerator and a hot water pot in the room with one sterophone cup 2 sugars and 2 tea bags in it...

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Luvtooxplore
Main Beach, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel is just up the hill from the airport. I wouldn't recommend walking up there unless you have very little baggage but its an easy walk down the hill back to the airport. You wouldn't stay here unless you arrived very late at night and had to leave again early the next morning. There are much nicer hotels in Papeete for the same money.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. No restaurant and no pool although they do give you cereal, juice and coffee...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faa'a
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
Le Meridien Tahiti
Le Meridien Tahiti
#2 of 3 in Punaauia

Been to Tahiti Airport Motel? Share your experiences!