“Clean rooms close to the airport but nothing special”

Tahiti Airport Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Faa'a
Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you arrive late at night and need to catch a connecting flight the next morning, this is the place to chose. Just a short walk from the airport you get clean but small rooms at a fair price. The staff is friendly and the complimentary breakfast OK. But there is definitely nothing special about this place!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our stay at The Tahiti Airport Motel was a disaster! I booked this motel through one of the .com websites, and then I contacted the hotel directly to make arrangements for a pick up at the airport upon our arrival. I confirmed the arrangements and our costs with the hotel staff a couple of days before our arrival, and they assured me that we would be met at the airport. When we arrived, we waited for 30 minutes for Taxi Sylvie (our pick up) to show up, and then finally took a different taxi to the motel. When we were checking in, we asked the receptionist to call and make sure we would have a taxi back to the airport at 5:30 a.m. At 5:30 a.m. the taxi did show up and we left to go back to the airport. Taxi Sylvie told us that she never received a confirmation call to pick us up the night before. That's how our visit to this motel started off. Don't trust the staff. They are very unreliable.

When we checked in, we were given a room up two flights of stairs. The stairs were located near the reception area almost directly in front of the reception desk. The receptionist helped us up the stairs with our luggage. We got settled in our SCANTILY FURNISHED room for a few minutes and I went to use the toilet. The entire bathroom was crawling with ants (including all over the toilet, sink, shower, floor, and in and throughout the toilet paper)! I went down the same stairs that we had been taken up to ask for a different room. The stairs were very dark as I approached the first landing. There was no light. I could not see the landing and thought that I was at the bottom step (which I was not) and subsequently fell on the stairs. Only AFTER I fell in the dark and was lying on the floor of the landing did the sensor lights come on. Eventually, I was able to get down the flight of stairs to the reception area. I was in severe pain and thought that I had broken my foot. I explained what had happened and why I had come back down the stairs. I was unable to walk without help, and since I couldn't get up the stairs to change to a different room because I was in such pain, we were offered the handicapped room on the reception floor. I was helped into the room by the receptionist and I asked that the bathroom be checked for ants. There were no ants, but there were 2 cockroaches in the shower which the receptionist removed. My husband was still unaware of the entire situation, until the receptionist went up to get him and help bring down our luggage. We were told that at that time of night, it would be almost impossible to get help for me or go to the hospital and then be back in enough time to take our connecting flight in the morning to continue our trip. So I lay in the room on the bed all night with my swollen and now purple-colored foot up on pillows and packed in ice until 0500 when breakfast started. The limited breakfast was given out on a tray from behind the reception desk consisting mainly of a hunk of bread and little else. There were no seconds. What you were served on your tray was what you got. Before we left, the morning receptionist told us that we should not have been taken up the dark stairs the night before, and there were other more well-lighted stairs at the other end (and he pointed to the right and across the lobby area from the reception office). Neither my husband nor I was aware that there were any other stairs to use other than the ones we had been taken up the night before. At 5:30 a.m. the taxi did show up and we left to go back to the airport.

When we arrived in Melbourne and went to the hospital, it was confirmed that I had broken a bone on the top of my foot, along with tearing and stretching ligaments and tendons. So when we returned from our trip, I decided to write to the hotel and ask for a refund of our charges for our one night stay for the following reasons:

1. There were ants in our room which caused me to go down those dark stairs in the first place.
2. The stairs had inadequate lighting.
3. There were cockroaches in the handicapped room.
4. We were never told that there were more well-lighted stairs that could have been used.
5. I got hurt on motel property because of negligence on the part of your motel staff (see #4) and your motel property (see #2).

After many weeks of no response from the motel management, I finally got a reply stating that since the motel had so graciously offered to change our room to the handicapped room and we accepted that room, there was no reason for my complaint or for a refund.

Of course I accepted the room on the ground floor which had the cockroaches in the shower. There were no other options. I couldn't walk, let alone go back up the stairs to a different room. I was told by the receptionist that there was no emergency medical treatment available at that time of night (just past midnight). The hospital was very far away and I would not be able to get back to the airport in time to make our connecting flight.

REALLY? No reason to refund my money? See 1-5 above. REALLY? How about a little compassion because I got hurt on your property at your motel. How about "I'm sorry that you got hurt here". Nope, not one word from this cocky management.

I leave it to you, the prospective clients for this motel, to decide if you want to book into this very poorly managed, bug-infested motel (remember, we were put in two different rooms both containing bugs) with all of its other health and safety issues. We were not expecting a resort, but we were expecting a clean room for our money. The management clearly doesn't care about their guests or their well-being, and has no regard for personal safety issues. They realize that most of the guests use the motel as a one-night stopover and they will never return, so why should they care. The management just keeps collecting the money. It's your choice, and I hope you choose wisely and make a better choice than we did.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank akajoanie
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is a good hotel if you come in late or have an early flight away from Papeete. I guess this is their business model. I don't completely know what people are complaining about in this hotel. Of course, if you are looking for a nice resort to lay down in Tahiti, this is not the place to be but I guess everybody knows that this is not the place for that kind of purpose.
The room was clean and is big enough for a layover. There is enough space to open 3-5 bags if you want to. From construction point of view, I don't understand the floor in the shower as it's not flat but there are several small holes, where the water will stay as long as it dries. I'd imagine that this is not the best from hygienic point of view.
The staff will help you if you ask them but they won't tell you too much additional information if you don't ask unlike in some friendlier places. The stuff clearly seems to be only working and doing their minimum performance.
The path to the hotel can be confusing especially when it's dark but you should be able to find your way through stairs. Small signs after crossing the street from the airport might be something you miss but if you find them you are able to get there. It's a steep hill and you need to be in some sort of fit in order to avoid taxi. It's only like 300m but you may need taxi if you cannot carry your bags up there. The hotel doesn't have an elevator and they have four floors so some more carrying in there. Especially in the night if there is only one front desk person who won't help you. During the day, we were offered help in getting our big bags into our room.
Although this is a good layover place, I'd hope they had slightly lower rates as ~115e is a bit much even in Tahiti standards. You can get quite nice accommodations with that money in Moorea where we stayd for 3 nights.70-80e per night would be more reasonable on this hotel no matter how clean the room is as there are no other facilities.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Tahiti Airport Motel is very convenient to the airport at Papeete. That's the good news. You then walk up a steep slope on pock-marked driveway to check in to a SPARTAN room and a pretty cheesy styrofoam service breakfast. It's a short 10 minute uphill walk fro. The airport...that is all we can say good about this place.

Room Tip: Don't get a high floor...you have to walk there.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikej21
Reviewed March 9, 2013

if you want to go safe and happy and pretty inexpensive, stay here. we FIRST went to some guy's "pension" called DaMyr Pension ($85 a night) and he was a drunk guy who showed up with no shoes or shirt basically yelling jibberish at us in french. when we got to his place it was FRIGHTENING. we wouldn't have left our dogs there!
so we got back to the airport and walked up to this hotel. it actually has amazing views with giant windows in your room, a great bed and blessed air conditioning. it has free wifi but i couldn't get it to work in my room. i had to go downstairs to the lobby to get connection. they give you free continental breakfast ($135 a night). there is no elevator and that's the only crumby part and its kind of in a weirdish neighborhood, but it works.

The pensions on tahiti itself are scary. ive heard lots of horror stories and we just lived one. spend the extra 70 bucks and be happy!

Room Tip: try to get a room on the FIRST floor so you don't have to CLIMB STAIRS in the heat and you have...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank audballa
Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you are looking for an inexpensive overnight stay close to the airport the Tahiti Airport Hotel will suffice, however, there are some things to consider. While it is close to the terminal, the walk over is very steep and involves lots of stairs.vvOnce you make it up the steep "driveway" there is still no easy way to get up to the 2nd floor to check in as it is only accessible via a small set of stairs. While it is not an easy trek, it can be done as long as you are in shape.

The room was clean and suited our needs but we could not get comfortable as the a/c laboring to cool the small room. Even after running on max cool all night, the room really never cooled down. We also arrived late and there are no food/snack/drink options. Your only choice is to go back to the airport and buy water and snacks there.

If we had to do it all again, we would have spent the cab fare and booked the Hotel Tahiti Nui for the simply fact we could have had dinner.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2013

For a budget style motel to stay at for just for one night between flights/ferries - this is the place! Highly recommended.

GETTING THERE: It's right across the parking lot and street from Papeete airport. Although not well marked, it's a few minutes walk uphill, crossing traffic without cross walks or lights. Or a US$15 cab ride to go about 3 blocks.

ROOMS: I could not believe how clean our room was! I definitely applaud that. I sleep very well here.

BREAKFAST: You get a large continental breakfast with your stay - Cereal, Croissant and Baguette. There's Tang-style juice drinks too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faa'a
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
Le Meridien Tahiti
Le Meridien Tahiti
#2 of 3 in Punaauia

Been to Tahiti Airport Motel? Share your experiences!