this place is at the top of a very very steep hill
the signage is terrible
you can see the hotel from the airport. climbing the stairs to the main road and crossing this there is a small sign reading "airport hotel" pointing to the left.
so you follow the main road and turn right to join a very busy airport link road with little or no pavement and traffic hurtling past
then you see a road leading up to the right which appears to go the hotel (no sign). so you climb the 25% gradient hill only to find a fence blocking access to the hotel.
so back down the hill and continue along the main road to a second road - only this one has a sign " private road, caa only" with no hotel sign
so you luckily find a local who speaks a bit of english (not a lot of them about in tahiti) who confirms the airport hotel is at the top
so up another 25% hill and, almost at the top, there is the hotel - third floor rooms.
so down a 25% slope to reception - check in (very helpful and friendly staff) but have to make your way back up the "mountain" ro your room as there is no lift
rooms are clean, ac works well, tea bags (no coffee or milk), kettle and cups as well
flat screen telly with usual french language only channels and good internet access (foc)
bathroom clean with shower, soap, shampoo and nice towels. plenty of hot water.
large bed, nice clean sheets
so you grab some sleep and wake at midnight for a 2am flight
climb from your room second floor corridor to the top of the "Mountain" and make your way down to the airport.
but now it is dark, quiet and creepy.... until a chorus of dogs starts up from almost every backyard along the road. from one property come two savage looking dogs which are not tethered and attemp to chase you down the hill away from the property they are guarding
not an ideal experience for an airport hotel.
ok so you could take a cab. but these are expensive in tahiti - roughly xpf 1000 ( gbp £ 7) for the 400 yards or so during the day, more at night
so that's the senario i encountered. good luck if you choose to stay there.
if you do walk to or from during hours of darkness keep to the left hand side of the road going up, rhs going down to try to avoid the untethered dogs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Best Comfort at reasonable prices.Located in front of Tahiti Faa'a International Airport the Tahiti Airport Motel is only at 5 minutes walk from the terminal.For a greater comfort, all the rooms as well as the corridors are entirely non-smoker and air conditioned.The establishment is ideal for transit travelers or for long-term stay. The motel provides luggage storage and parking.It is a very comfortable place which proposes 46 units. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tahiti Airport Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tahiti Airport Hotel Faa`a
- Tahiti Airport Motel French Polynesia