We stayed at the resort twice. At the beginning and end of a Paul Gauguin cruise. Below are some tips on the hotel.
There are automatic change machines at the airport 24/7 that will change foreign currency into XPF (French Pacific Francs). US dollars are however widely accepted and many shops(including all tourist shops) have credit card facilities.The hotle also changes currency at a rubbish exchange rate.
The hotel operates 24/7 and is a 2 miles/5 minute taxi ride from the airport. It is very busy with groups and individuals transiting to other islands and cruises.
Taxis in Tahiti appear to operate on fixed prices: the airport to the Intercontinental is 1,400 XPF daytime, 1,500 XPF night time; the hotel to the harbour for the Paul Gauguin is 2,000 XPF plus 100 XPF per large bag plus 40 (tax?) during the daytime.
We stayed in both a ‘garden’ room and a ‘lagoon’ room. Both were ok but quite ‘tired’ and in need of refurbishing – for example both rooms had old fashioned bath tap showers into the bath; there were no separate shower facilities in the bathrooms. Rooms were very clean and the beds both huge and very, very comfortable!
The grounds, pools and lagoonarium were excellent but there is very limited access to swim in the sea – only near the water sports centre could you get in the water. Beach towels can be borrowed but must be returned to avoid a charge.
Like many hotels/resorts in French Polynesia everything is expensive if you are not on an inclusive package. The buffet breakfast, for example, is about $37 US per person; you can however have an ‘all you can eat’ continental breakfast from the cold counters for a lot less.
The Intercontinental appears to have a tie in with Paul Gauguin Cruises and many tour group passengers use the hotel. This probably means a good price as ship transfers are included plus a discount on meals.
The hotel has a semi permanent internet offer of wifi for 24 hours for a cost of 1,100 XPF (French Pacific Francs). As part of the package you also get a litre of bottled water in your room; a free in-room movie and 50% off a cocktail in the bar. Given these individually add up to far more than 1,100 XPF this was good deal – the wifi signal was excellent.
The Friday night ‘legendary’ seafood buffet and show was good but at $260 for two with a bottle of average wine it needed to be!
The Friday and Saturday night shows by ‘Les Grands Ballets de Tahiti’ were top class and not to be missed. You don't however need to pay for the full buffet meal to view these shows in the evenings; you can eat a la carte and still see the show or even sit in the adjoining Tiki bar.
The resort is fairly isolated but If you turn right out of the hotel and follow the main road it is a 15 minute walk to Tahiti’s largest supermarket (Carrefour) and about 20 smaller shops.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort has a total of 253 rooms and bungalows, comprising 172 fully renovated garden and lagoon view rooms, a separate wing with 60 panoramic view rooms for the top achievers and VIPs, a suite, and 32 over-water bungalows. All units are air-conditioned, with international facilities and amenities. Located in 32 acres of gardens, the Polynesian style resort offers views of unforgettable sunsets and volcanic peaks of the sister island Moorea, just 12 miles across the sea of moons. The resort offers 2 restaurants including gourmet over water restaurant and an all day dining restaurant featuring the best Tahitian shows on the island, 2 bars, 2 crystal clear, fresh Water overflow swimming pools, and a host of activities to entertain just about everyone. The property features an activity center including tennis, water sports and the largest scuba-diving center Special mention about the huge lagoonarium where guests can swim in a protected area and enjoy Polynesian exceptional sea-life. The Deep Nature Spa by Algotherm is open since the end of 2008" is also equipped with a great gym ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Resort Tahiti Hotel Faa`a
- Intercontinental Hotel Tahiti
- Intercontinental Hotel Faaa
- Beachcomber Resort Tahiti
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa French Polynesia