Conveniently located near the airport we chose the Intercontinental for our stays upon our arrival and in between flying to outer islands. Tahiti was our first stop in french polynesia & we found the hotel to be very beautiful with lush landscaping and creatively designed pools.
Our first room was a garden room that we stayed in 2 nights & was clean and nicely decorated with a view of the water. On our second week of our tour we stayed again and opted for an overwater bungalow. Ours was located apparently in the newer section and was just fantastic. Really enjoyed being able to snorkle right off the back deck. We were traveling with a group and some of our party were not as pleased with the rooms that they received as there are older parts of this hotel that really need some interior updating apparently.
Overall the staff at the hotel front desk, concierge were all very friendly., the male baggage handlers were all decked out in traditional sarongs covered in tattoos & were really courteous & helpful.
The biggest enigma that we discovered was the difference in attitude & service between the main restaurant and bar versus the LOTUS restaurant. We had the pleasure of eating 4 times in the LOTUS and found the food to be exquisitely prepared & service top notch. However in the Main Restaurant & bar, all the women servers were just downright rude, very slow & seemed genuinely resentful to be there. It was a bizarre. Staying there multiple times over a 3 week period I was hoping to find a change but no. Each time we ordered food whether it be breakfast, lunch or a snack at the bar the service was PAINFULLY slow.. They have a large breakfast bar which extremely overpriced so I opted to just order and omlette.. When the food finally arrived it was kind of thrown at you with a look of disdain, the omelet was cold & didn't even have any of the items I ordered in it? One evening we ordered in the bar and the woman lied and said the kitchen was closed when it was not, when we asked at the front desk where we could get food they sent us back down to the bar? When we returned to the bar the server then begrudgingly handed us a menu which consisted of 2 items, essentially a ham & cheese or grilled cheese sandwich.. we were starving and a captive audience at this point & ordered but when the sandwich came it was so terrible we couldn't finish it. Bad overpriced food was the only thing we found in the main restaurant & bar which was kind of shocking for a property of its supposed caliber. The LOTUS was very pricey but at least the food & service were on point.
Overall the property is a convenient stop due to its close proximity to the airport, the pools and grounds were lovely. If the food & service had been better I could have at least given it "average" when it comes to value. Additionally in the "Value" department after our stay we looked at the points we earned and found that it is Intercontinentals policy to only give you a certain max number of points per stay and treated all our nights regardless of the fact that they were separated by weeks as counting as one stay?
If we would have spent the same money at another similarly priced chain we would have earned points dollar for dollar which made us feel overall our stay was a poor value & will look at other properties next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort has a total of 253 rooms and bungalows, comprising 172 fully renovated garden and lagoon view rooms, a separate wing with 60 panoramic view rooms for the top achievers and VIPs, a suite, and 32 over-water bungalows. All units are air-conditioned, with international facilities and amenities. Located in 32 acres of gardens, the Polynesian style resort offers views of unforgettable sunsets and volcanic peaks of the sister island Moorea, just 12 miles across the sea of moons. The resort offers 2 restaurants including gourmet over water restaurant and an all day dining restaurant featuring the best Tahitian shows on the island, 2 bars, 2 crystal clear, fresh Water overflow swimming pools, and a host of activities to entertain just about everyone. The property features an activity center including tennis, water sports and the largest scuba-diving center Special mention about the huge lagoonarium where guests can swim in a protected area and enjoy Polynesian exceptional sea-life. The Deep Nature Spa by Algotherm is open since the end of 2008" is also equipped with a great gym ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Agoda, IHG, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Resort Tahiti Hotel Faa`a
- Intercontinental Hotel Tahiti
- Intercontinental Hotel Faaa
- Beachcomber Resort Tahiti
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa French Polynesia