“A Gem”

Casa Clara
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We had two rooms sharing a bathroom (it was us and our 9-year old son) and this was fantastic. Looking out our window we had a view of the church in this medieval town. The beach is 5km away, but we are we glad that we opted to stay here.
The hotel has a fantastic restaurant and otherwise there's a variety of other restaurants 2 corners away. Stroll around in the evening and pick one.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. After the first day they know your preferences of where to sit what you like and they just deliver - thank you!!
We want to go back to the Costa Brava and this will be a definite stay over again!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lcrause

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My teenage son and I stayed here while doing a Catalan adventures holiday for a week (really good would recommend that too). The accommodation, whilst not luxurious was clean, comfortable and spacious - a suite of a double and twin bedrooms with a shared bathroom. And the bedrooms had the quietest air conditioning I've come across.

The staff were friendly and could not be more helpful - Sara made us a packed breakfast one day when we had to leave v early and so would have missed breakfast otherwise.

The restaurant, The Gallery, had really good food, for meat eaters and vegetarians alike. They do their best for children but not ideal for kids that only do pizza and chips. However Castello has a great Pizza place Las Voltas and Les Cols does great patatas bravas so there are other alternatives in the village.

Only criticism I can think of would be that there wasn't really anywhere to dry clothes in the room - an essential for an activities holiday - fortunately Sara came to the rescue.

Perhaps the litmus test - would I stay there again? and would I recommend it to a friend?
- yes on both counts.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen T
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

I've made over 20 trips to Empuriabrava, previously always staying in Empuriabrava itself. This time I decided to stay in Castello d'Empuries, a beautiful town only 5 km from the modern Empuriabrava. I read the reviews on here and decided on Casa Clara, I spent 10 nights in the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff and owner were really friendly and helpful. The owner Ian even lent me his personal phone charger for my last 3 days. And Sara who sets up the delicious breakfast buffets gave me a Spanish language lesson every morning. The room itself was a good size, the bathroom was modern and the mattress was very comfortable.

I had an absolutely brilliant stay at Casa Clara, I really recommend a stay at this quaint hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank William W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed at Casa Clara for seven days while on a hiking trip. We loved the hotel. The rooms were large, comfortable and clean. After a long day of hiking it was nice to back to such a welcoming place. We ate at the Restraint (in the hotel) almost every night. It was some of the best food I have ever had. I miss this people I met there. It was a wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eal85
Albi - France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

Looking for somewhere to break our journey between Albi France and Barcelona we were directed to this Hotel. We couldn't have had a better stay. The family room we stayed in was really well thought out - proper doors between the two rooms, luxury bathroom, simple but beautifully chosen decor. We were given a really warm welcome by the owner and had an excellent meal in the restaurant at a very reasonable price. The village of Castello d' Empuriès was enchanting - we stayed a night and wished it was a week;

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Albi_FranceJulesB
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst on a walking tour of the area with Catalan Adventures. The proprietor, Ian, was very welcoming and always had time for a chat. Room was clean and spacious. Breakfast more than adequate before setting off on a day's walk. Ate both nights in the new Gallery restaurant and the food and service were both excellent. Would go back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

I had read many glowing reviews of Casa Clara on Tripadvisor, which is why I booked our first night in Spain here - but I still was not prepared to find an establishment of such class and quality in a tiny medieval town. It felt like a boutique hotel. The room was sunny and tastefully decorated and furnished. Ian, our host, was most welcoming. We enjoyed dinner in the new Gallery restaurant and my only regret is that I only booked a one night stay. A highly recommended place to stay in a fascinating little town, it would be great base for exploring Figueres, Roses and Cadaques. We would happily return and bring friends.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foodie0757
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castello d'Empuries
Hotel Canet
#3 of 36 in Roses
Hotel de la Moneda
Hotel de la Moneda
#2 of 9 in Castello d'Empuries

Been to Casa Clara? Share your experiences!