“Excellent boutique hotel in a quaint medieval town”
Review of Casa Clara

Casa Clara
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent boutique hotel in a quaint medieval town”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I've made over 20 trips to Empuriabrava, previously always staying in Empuriabrava itself. This time I decided to stay in Castello d'Empuries, a beautiful town only 5 km from the modern Empuriabrava. I read the reviews on here and decided on Casa Clara, I spent 10 nights in the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff and owner were really friendly and helpful. The owner Ian even lent me his personal phone charger for my last 3 days. And Sara who sets up the delicious breakfast buffets gave me a Spanish language lesson every morning. The room itself was a good size, the bathroom was modern and the mattress was very comfortable.

I had an absolutely brilliant stay at Casa Clara, I really recommend a stay at this quaint hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank William W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed at Casa Clara for seven days while on a hiking trip. We loved the hotel. The rooms were large, comfortable and clean. After a long day of hiking it was nice to back to such a welcoming place. We ate at the Restraint (in the hotel) almost every night. It was some of the best food I have ever had. I miss this people I met there. It was a wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eal85
Albi - France
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Looking for somewhere to break our journey between Albi France and Barcelona we were directed to this Hotel. We couldn't have had a better stay. The family room we stayed in was really well thought out - proper doors between the two rooms, luxury bathroom, simple but beautifully chosen decor. We were given a really warm welcome by the owner and had an excellent meal in the restaurant at a very reasonable price. The village of Castello d' Empuriès was enchanting - we stayed a night and wished it was a week;

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Albi_FranceJulesB
England
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst on a walking tour of the area with Catalan Adventures. The proprietor, Ian, was very welcoming and always had time for a chat. Room was clean and spacious. Breakfast more than adequate before setting off on a day's walk. Ate both nights in the new Gallery restaurant and the food and service were both excellent. Would go back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I had read many glowing reviews of Casa Clara on Tripadvisor, which is why I booked our first night in Spain here - but I still was not prepared to find an establishment of such class and quality in a tiny medieval town. It felt like a boutique hotel. The room was sunny and tastefully decorated and furnished. Ian, our host, was most welcoming. We enjoyed dinner in the new Gallery restaurant and my only regret is that I only booked a one night stay. A highly recommended place to stay in a fascinating little town, it would be great base for exploring Figueres, Roses and Cadaques. We would happily return and bring friends.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foodie0757
devon
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We followed Joyce Tan the chef from El Tupi to the Gallery. We had a good meal in July 2010 and booked up for ourselves and my brother and his wife who were coming over from England for their wedding anniversary. My wife even made sure the booking went into their diary.
Everyone knew it was the festival weekend so our expectations were high.
When we arrived for our special meal we were greeted by the manager only to tell us that they were not serving meals that evening, only sandwiches. A real farce! The owner who was within listening distance didn't even have the courtesy to come over himself and apologise.
We went to Le Solen in Epuriabrava and had a beautiful meal.
We will not be going back to The Gallery.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Arch75
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This is a jewel of a hotel. The rooms are beautifully appointed, clean, and spacious. The host, Ian, is charming and funny and goes out of his way to make you feel at home. The restaurant in the hotel is fantastic both for the local, seasonal food (yet not offering only regional cuisine, a welcome change if you're in the area for awhile) and the ambiance (it serves as gallery space as well). This was my favorite hotel, hands down, on a three week trip that included many different lodgings.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castello d'Empuries
Hotel Canet
#3 of 36 in Roses
Hotel de la Moneda
Hotel de la Moneda
#2 of 9 in Castello d'Empuries

Been to Casa Clara? Share your experiences!