All reviewsoutdoor poolamazing hotelpillow menugeneva arealake viewlac lemanclub sandwichluxury hotelcity centreclose to the airportice skatingfungtselodgeteslarelaxationswitzerland
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I've just got back from a business trip to Geneva where I stayed at La Reserve, the most fashionable place in town (it was someone else's choice, not mine). Oddly, for such a fashionable hotel the buildings from the outside are ugly. It's never going to win awards for it architecture, that's for sure. It looks like a 1980's take on a 1960's golf resort hotel...

Inside is a different story. It is very nicely designed, with a dark, cozy and interesting interior although it suffers a little from too much fushion... a bit of Asian here, a bit of ski lodge there, mixed with a bit of the trendy Hotel Coste in Paris. But over all it is quite nice. The rooms are nicely done but still have that 1980's new build feel to them, and considering the price I'm not sure you'd be better at the Beau Rivage or one of the other Grande Dames of Geneva.

However, people come here because it's fashionable and are prepared to pay high prices to see all the Ferraris, Bentley, Lambo's etc outside and hang out with the Geneva young, rich crowd. There is a place for hotels like this in every major city and it appeals to many. I am not adverse to a few nights of that kind of indulgence myself, from time to time, so I am not going to judge it on the prices of the rooms or the clientele. You either like that kind of place or you don't. I err towards the latter but not vehemently.

I do have a point however that I would like to highlight and that's the price of the food. With the Swiss Franc at 1.20 to the Euro the food and drinks at this place are simply terrifyingly expensive. In fact they are beyond any other hotel I've stayed at in the world... and that's saying something.

Let me give you an example - four of us ate 3 cheese burgers, 1 steak tartare, 3 glasses of wine, 1 beer and three rum and cokes in the bar. The cost - CHF 630. We also had a set menu Chinese lunch with three glasses of wine and a bottle of water - CHF 550. The bar food was fine but certainly not gourmet burgers or stunning steak tartar...the rum was bog- standard Bacardi and the wine was a decent enough Bordeaux but the price was world class. An entrecote steak will set you back 85 CHF and it's not as if it's in the best, most famous steak restaurant in town with specially sourced beef etc...

The service in the bar over the three days that we stayed there was at best indifferent, and at worst frustratingly slow, with all the staff hugely indifferent. Really, it was not good enough for what I was paying. I don't mind paying top dollar for food and hotels as long as you get top dollar food and service.

The rest of the staff were great. Well trained and attentive but the food and beverage staff overall were really not what you'd expect (although again this is often the case with such fashionable places).

So would I stay there again? I guess if I wanted to see the "scene" with friends for a night or two and use an amazing spa then yes, but as a luxury go-to place for Geneva? No.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank thewanderers_spain
lareservegeneve, Deputy General Manager at La Reserve Geneve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Dear Traveler & TripAdvisor contributor,

We first of all would like to thank you for having chosen La Reserve for your business trip last March in Geneva. Thank you also for your detailed review about your stay shared with us on TripAdvisor.
If we were glad to read that you did appreciate lots of our unique settings & facilities, we paid a great attention to your remarks relative to the pricing & staff attitude (mainly at our bar) which is absolutely not relevant from the quality of service and great feeling we want our clients to experience.
Please accept my sincere apologizes on that point and rest assured that all your points have been discussed and reviewed with the concerned team to make necessary adjustments. Moreover, for studying and knowing quite well the “local market”, I can assure you that we always intend to offer the appropriate “value for money” service & quality.

Looking forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you back to La Reserve to enjoy “Spring & Summer” charms of our property, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

I stayed here for 2 days recently, the cost was just ridiculous for what it is. I stay quite regularly in expensive hotels and they have charm, service, unique features. This hotel lacks all of these.
This hotel has a main road in front, train behind and is quite some distance outside Geneva but not far enough to be in a rural environment. So if you want city location or rural charm – this is not for you. If you want trains and busy road – this is for you !
The room was just big enough – and I say just big enough to be considered Lux but really was similar to a braded hotel at a fraction of the cost.
The actual design of the hotel has either been refurbished or done new with a very very old look and feel covered up with interior design to try and I say try to make it feel expensive and up market –but if you look with the lights on , its not.
The service was “ok” just, food “ok” just, but against the background of the room rate its trying and costing what a really classic top class hotel is but falls very short.
Its not really disastrous but if your looking for a really great stay – look elsewhere.

Powdered egg at breakfast !

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ontheroad695
lareservegeneve, Deputy Genaral Manager at La Reserve Geneve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Dear Traveler & TripAdvisor contributor,

We first of all would like to thank you for having chosen La Reserve Geneva for your recent business trip and for having taken the time to share your comments with us.
Be assured that all your comments have been duly reviewed and taken into account. We strongly aim at offering the very best experience to our valued visitors for the appropriate cost and sincerely regret that you did note fully enjoyed our privileged location, our unique décor very recently created by the famous interior designer Jacques Garcia, our park & all our facilities.
Should you wish to give us “a second chance” to experience again our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me directly to guarantee the very best conditions; the spring & summer season being a perfect time to rediscover the charms of our unique “city-resort” property.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

We have a stayed a couple of nights at La Reserve on the way from Chamonix & Megeve, flying back home from Geneve. Generally hotel was brilliant is all aspects - can't claim anything, except two things which have made my memories very negative and obscured my experience. It's been staying with me for half year, and as long as I need 1 more review to get a Senior Contributor badge :-) I have decided to give a feedback on their job.

Firstly serious problem was arrogant personnel. When ordering flowers for my wife with concierge I felt like he made me a favour doing it, like I disturbed him from something more important. Another illustration was when we came to breakfast we wanted to take a free large round table overlooking the lake but manager said it was booked for somebody else and gave us an inconvenient table on the pathway, and offered the same round table to a couple entering breakfast area right behind us. The only difference was that, i believe, i was carrying an infant baby in my hands and the guy behind was with a dressed up hooker, so probably they, a kind of, "deserved" a better table. I asked another restaurant manager and receiption whether they accepted table bookings for breakfast - both said never. I hate this kind of sh... Purely unmotivated denial and he didn't care about my dissatisfaction.

Secondly, the main indoor pool is reserved only for adults, without exclusions. Kids can only use outdoor unheated pool. The explanation was that some guys from Geneve who're visiting the hotel's Spa and Gym didn't want anybody to break the silence. :-) Why not making 2-3 hours time slot during lunch time or morning, e.g., when junior guests could also enjoy the indoor pool, especially in bad weather conditions. I was not driving from Geneve, I was flying over from overseas thousand kilometers away to this hotel just to realize that I coudln't take my baby with me to the indoor heated pool because some high-ranking pensioners with prostatitis from Geneve wanted silence? Both days there were 2-3 guests in the indoor pool area at all times. That's also something totally out of my understanding.

To Service I'm giving 1 out of 5. Hopefully they would get my point. Never again and never let them a chance to correct the mistake - it's just none existant for me.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Fomych
lareservegeneve, Deputy General Manager at La Reserve Geneve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

Dear Traveler, dear Guest,

Let us first of all thank you for having chosen La Reserve Geneva Hotel & Spa for your recent family trip on your way to Chamonix & Megève.
We also appreciate the fact that you took the time to share your comments with us on TripAdvisor.

We were glad to read your “general” high rating but paid a great attention to the troubles you suffered from regarding the staff attitude & service.

The mentioned attitude is not acceptable and does not reflect the quality & personalization of service we aim to provide to all our guests with no distinction.
Please accept our most sincere apologies on those points which we have discussed today with the concerned heads of departments.
Service, comfortable feelings, creating personal relationships are and should be at any time our main priorities, especially when dealing with Concierge service which is there to exceed your every need.

Regarding the breakfast table it could occur that guests mentioned their preference for one table and we try to keep it for them from one day to the other. This is nothing such as a “reservation system” but trying to make them feel “at home”.

As for the access to the indoor pool reserved to children older than 14 years old, I can understand your frustration. This rule does not only concern the indoor pool but the whole spa & fitness in general, for the quietness of our yearly Spa members and hotel residents but also for security measures. Nevertheless your comments have been taken into account and we took good note of your suggestion for a specific time schedule.

I deeply regret to hear that you will “never let us a chance to correct our mistake”. Should you change your mind at one point, be assured that we would be delighted to welcome you again and make you feel at home, as expected in the first place. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally in order for us to enhance this second stay and therefore showing you the “real face” of our hospitality.

Remaining at your entire disposal,

Reviewed February 25, 2012

The minute you arrive at Reception, you feel like you are in a magic place.
The staff is extremely pleasant (note: they do not wear any name badge to make you feel @home).

Jacques Garcia decorated the place - noticeable by the low seat chairs, comfortable and cosy.

The SPA, well known in Geneva is spacious and offers all amenities you could need - fitness has daily courses, with a full time trainer that takes the time to explain you what/ how to exercise.

An extremely great experience overall

Room Tip: Ask for a room with lake view (if possible) as some rooms will give you a view on the staff accommodation place & the tennis court (a shame for the price)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
lareservegeneve, Deputy Genaral Manager at La Reserve Geneve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear Madam,

We first of all would like to thank you for your recent stay with your friends at La Reserve Geneve Hotel & Spa. We truly appreciate that you took the time to share your nice comments with us on TripAdvisor.

We were glad to read your high satisfaction on different levels and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon to enjoy all our spring & summer activities too.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

We took our daughter there for her birthday recently. From our arrival at the hotel throughout the evening we were treated to the best service and food we could have asked for.
Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
lareservegeneve, Deputy General Manager at La Reserve Geneve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear traveler, dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen our restaurant Le Loti at La Reserve Hotel & Spa to celebrate your daughter’s birthday.
We highly appreciate that you took the time to post your positive review on Trip Advisor and feel very glad that everything went smoothly & perfectly.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on another special occasion, we remain at your entire disposal,