“super service, great bikes”

Bike Point El Medano
Ranked #1 of 6 Shopping in El Medano
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We hired two road bikes and we were really impressed by how responsive and helpful the staff were - and also by the quality of our bikes. We called at 5pm, asking for 2 road bikes, and when my partner arrived at the shop (at 6 pm - when they should have gone home...) the bikes were ready, we got the right pedals, helmets, spare tubes, multitool... and they sell beautiful Castelli clothing, too (-: Would not want to hire bikes from anywhere else!

1  Thank Mia M
in 4 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 21 reviews

Reviewed March 25, 2013

liked everything about the hotel apart from nothing around the hotel you have to walk 20minutes into the little village.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Super shop , I am a rookie cyclist , new to race bikes, new to cleats and new to mountains - I had a great pep talk from the guys in the shop and had some wonderful bike rides - not ready for teide yet but maybe next time . Thank you :)

1  Thank Dunboynestar
Reviewed January 1, 2013

About 15 minutes into my climb up Monte Teide, I suddenly understood a conversation I’d had with the rental agent at Bike Point Tenerife the day before. As he pulled out the nice carbon Ridley bike he had set aside for me, the guy had pointed at the crank and noted that it was a compact. “I’m going to need that,” I joked, but he hadn’t smiled. Now I realized that he was actually warning me that the bike only had a compact crank; he was subtly suggesting that I should go for a triple.

From San Isidro, the road headed straight uphill without a single flat spot for 33 kilometers. Mercifully, the grade stayed fairly constant for the whole climb, so I needed every gear I had, but no more. The condos and commercial districts gradually gave way to terraced fields and narrow switchbacks. The center line of the road disappeared as it narrowed, but cars, trucks and buses occasionally passed around blind corners in both directions.

After 90 minutes, I stopped in the town of Vilaflor, where a scowling, overworked waiter refused to serve me a bottle of water at a snack bar. I began to wonder whether I had the strength to continue all the way to the top. Then another rider approached me. He explained that he had been interval training that morning while going up the mountain. “We go six minutes at normal pace, then six minutes hard, then four minutes all out,” he explained in a German accent. “The first time it’s OK, but by the third time it feels like you’re going to explode.”

“I’m just trying to make it up the hill,” I mumbled.

Seeing my hesitation, my new friend told a white lie. “It’s only 10 more kilometers to the top,” he claimed. He realized, of course, that it was actually 15, but once I had gone 10, I wouldn’t turn back. I wasn’t about to challenge that kind of encouragement, so I found a gas station that would sell me some water, and off I went again.

The road next entered a forest dotted with huge old pine trees at the boundary of the national park. I could begin to feel the altitude. On some long straightaways, I was now only able to manage 8 or 9 kilometers per hour, as some motorcycles flew by at 130. Fortunately, the wind was moderate, and the early afternoon sun broke through any alpine chill. A little over an hour later, I was cresting the rim of the caldera, for a total of over 2000 meters of ascent.

I rapidly dropped 200 meters into a moonscape of lava fields with no plant life—only grotesque rock formations. I rode several miles of flats before I could head down the other side of the volcano. I had been dreaming about the descents for weeks. I had even found YouTube videos of them. But fate would have it that the road I chose had the roughest pavement and most potholes of any on the island. I now understood why the frame said “Tested on Pavé.” It was an upper body workout just to hang on.

After what seemed like an eternity, the pavement smoothed. I was finally able to enjoy one of the legendary banked corner, bobsled-like descents of Tenerife. It was fun to be on equal terms with cars, passing the slower ones and catching up to even the faster ones on the switchbacks. I was soon surrounded by condos again, and ended up taking a wrong turn to a dead end at “Playa Paraiso,” one of those gated all-inclusive resorts populated by busloads of Germans.

I remembered the German cyclist I had met earlier in the day. Was he a pro training on the off-season? I’m not sure, but given his habits, we was more likely to be staying at the Parador 2100 meters up the mountain, where Bradley Wiggins had set up his base a year before, than tanning on that beach. Wherever he is, I thank him.

And thanks to Bike Point Tenerife for making it all possible, even though they thought I needed a triple!

1  Thank mattandmargot