“Relaxed, friendly service, lovely hotel with good amenities, good value”

Hotel Arenas del Mar
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in El Medano
Dover, United Kingdom
“Relaxed, friendly service, lovely hotel with good amenities, good value”
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I have recently returned from a week's holiday with my friend and our two 10 year old sons. Having just read all the other reviews about this hotel and all the moans and groans, I am quite shocked. We have all just had about the best holiday and enjoyed every minute of our stay there. Perhaps a higher percentage of the type of people who write these reviews are general moaners with overly-high expectations?!!

The outside of the hotel may not be the most aesthetically pleasing building there, but inside more than makes up for this. The reception staff are all friendly, helpful and professional, particularly Alex, who was totally professional and very accommodating and helpful at all times. In fact, all the hotel staff were efficient, friendly and helpful also.
The room was clean and very spacious with a large sunny balcony and sea views. The pool and bar area was very good; the pool was heated and we swam there and played water-polo every day.

The food at the hotel was excellent, a good variety to choose from and large, comfortable dining room.

We thought the entertainment was good. Julian, the entertainment organiser, was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble for him and he was great fun. He made sure everybody was included and took time to sort out suitable activities for our 10 year old sons, who were both very happy also with their stay. If I had to criticize anything it would be that more entertainment/disco/later bars and evening entertainment should be provided at weekends, especially for all-inclusive guests who don't always want to go further afield in the evenings.

The nearest town is barely 10 minutes walk away along a beach/promenade pavement. The town is lovely, plenty of small bars and restaurants with a traditional, local feel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and would consider returning there again in the future.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank LisaH22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Polish first
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We were worried about going to this hotel having seen some poor reviews in recent weeks. We need not have. There are a few minor things "around the edges" that could improve your holiday experience but generally this was a great hotel to stay in providing you are not looking for lots of nightlife and amenities for young children.

Our room was large and comfortable, always spotlessly cleaned. Communal areas were kept clean and tidy at all times. The cleaners couldbe a bit quicker in putting away their wet floor signs which seemed to be in place for ages.

Food was of good quality, plenty of variety and well presented for a buffet service. The coffee from the machine in the restuarant was, however, pretty unpallatable and the red wine less than flavoursome. There were a couple of occasions when the staff could have been quicker to clear plates away but they were never left for long.

Bar staff were always cheerful, friendly and efficient. Beware they are strict to stop serving all inclusive drinks at 11 pm so make sure you get your last drinks 5 or 10 minutes before the "last orders".

Pool area and sun terrace was great. Plenty of room good sun loungers and kept very clean. The pool bar staff were always on hand to clear away any blown away plastic cups etc.

We had a great week staying here with our friends and did not want to come home!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank daveb1957
Thatcham, UK
Reviewed November 2, 2010

There seems to be a lot of bile coming out about this hotel. To whoever paid nine hundred pounds I'd agree they paid too much - maybe shop around a bit? We (my wife and another couple) paid a lot less, and during school half-term, and got what we considered good VFM, compared with many other AI resorts we have been to (of various cost/standard, including Sandals).

Good points:
- Very large and comfortable rooms
- Good food (mostly buffet, some cooked to order, but gerenerally fresh, tasty and varied).
- Nice pool, plus adjacent to a reasonable beach
- Very quiet (if that's what you want - we did)
- Good beer. And some of the local spirits were fine - I had some very drinkable Gin & Tonics

Not so good:
- Wine was poor (white better than red), as was the tea and coffee (except in the bar open in the evenings, which serves "real" coffee).
- A bit penny pinching - making you pay for all TV channels except CNN (we didn't bother, can watch TV at home), and pay for in-room safe
- Only 1 person on reception meant there could be long waits

Other comments:
- No evidence of slow clearing of plates etc while we were there, a point that seems to have concerned others. The staff were generally friendly if not particularly outgoing
- El Medano, the local town and within a 10 minute walk, grew on me. Architecture rather uninspiring but a nice beach and some good bars and restaurants.
- We hired a car and took a day trip to Mount Tiede and some of the rest of the island - absolutely fantastic.

Overall we had a good time and came home happy.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Berkshire_tripper
sussex
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This hotel has been in this location for a while, but it is under new management as of June this year. We found the staff to very helpful and friendly and they all speak very good English. The rooms were very spacious and clean - we had a junior suite so we had a massive bathroom (bath and shower!), bedroom, lounge and balcony. The beds and sofa were all very comfortable. There was a TV and fridge in the lounge, but lacked a kettle which it could have done with. The air con was a welcome thing too!
Pool was very welcoming as where the sun loungers. A good size pool. There was a kids club on site, but it seemed to lack information so our 6 yr old could not make use of this during our stay.
We did not make use of the spa, but it was always busy and offered good deals and good value for money.
There was also a very big lounge and a TV lounge if you have checked out and needed to hang around for your flight home.
Could not fault the food. Buffet three times a day in the main restaurant and a snack bar open by the pool and an indoor bar open in the evenings.
There were plenty of choices of food and drink each meal times, and it was nice to see local dishes along side the usual chips! One minor moan about it was some of the crockery was not as clean as it could be. Great view across the bay from the restaurant.
The only couple of downsides were the "mad pianist" that the hotel seemed to have employed. He needs to go. Plus, I realise that the new management have inherited the design of the hotel, but the floors are of a very strange layout, a bit like a prison, where each floor goes up around the central atrium. This tended to echo and amplifly anything going on in the bar downstairs.
There is also a local Spar shop attached to the hotel with very friendly staff and unbelievably cheap prices!
The hotel was about a ten minute stroll to the nearest town of El Medano. However, I'm not sure I would recommend the beaches or town. There was dog mess and litter everywhere and the town itself could do with a massive lick of paint and tidy up. The locals were all friendly, but for a tourist destination it really does need to clean up its act. Great market on Saturdays, otherwise not many shops open during the week.
A good stay had by all and would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hlbfolks
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2010

As we were celebrating a friends special birthday, we upgraded to a suite expecting a tad of luxery. The suite did have a balcony with lovely sea views but unfortunately that was it! The suite was extremely basic with only one English speaking TV channel, a hair dryer that didn't work; and an empty fridge. I've stayed in much cheaper all inclusive hotels and got far more! If you are looking for a small hotel, i.e. one restaurant, one pool on the outskirts of the town, then this is the place for you. On a positive note, the staff were very friendly and helpful; and the adult entertainment was fantastic.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Temmas
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I wish I had believed all the negative reviews on this site before staying in this hotel. My holiday was a waste of valuable time and money. I did not expect more than what is usually found in a reasonable 4 star hotel in Spain. Therefore it was a shock to find, on every level, a total didregard for the comfort of customers. I booked a Junior Suite where the beds were cheap camp-bed style,far too narrow with cheap bedding & pillow. There were no toiletories in the bathroom and only cheap towels.. The food was quite appalling and of the lowest standard possible, The dining room was chaotic with staff clearing up before most diners had finished and it was not unusual to see tables at breakfast still messy from the night before. There is the thunderous noise of 'planes taking off directly overhead & it continues throughout the day and the night. The small pool is surrounded by an overly small paved area leading to severe overcrowing.. Most of the uncomfortable sun beds are broken and there are only a few sun umbrellas available. I cannot find one positve thing to write about this dreadful hotel It should be closed down.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank ALSussex
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2010

My disabled partner and I stayed for 1 week all inclusive in October 2010 and had a lovely lovely holiday. The hotel was exactly as id expected. Yes, the bar and kitchen staff seemed to be rushing around and extremely busy, but we were always met with a pleasant smile and good service. The reception staffs, particularly the night guys, were great and really looked after us.
Especially after being messed around by Thomsons for our return journey and being sent back to the hotel at 2am!! They gave us our room back, sent the maid in at 2am to provide clean towels and tidy up, and the gave us a bottle of wine and a bottle of water. The bar had well and truly shut (12pm) but they would not accept any money from us!

We were given an accessible room that happened to have a sea view, which we hadn’t paid any extra for. The room was large with a table and two chairs and a balcony with additional table and chairs. There was a walk in shower which was a must for us, and as other posts have commented, the hairdryers really are quite sufficient…….even though i didn’t listen and i took my own anyway!

We wouldn’t rate the hotel as a true 4*. We believed it to be more a 3*, and that its only qualified as 4* due to the spa facilities it offers. We didn’t use these, but there was an offer on for a 2 hour session of the different pools and stuff for 15euro per person. Another guest we spoke to had used the spa and thought it was well worth the money. I picked up a price list for treatments but felt it was a little pricey for the time. For example a half hour massage for 50euros. I can get an hour body massage for that in the UK.

The food was ok. There was always plenty of choice. It was best to 'time' your visit so that you got the freshly cooked fish and meats. The chef took a bit of a shine to Ian and always gave him large portions of pasta and freshly cooked meats and stuff.
There was a huge salad bar where you can make up your own salad. Salads can become boring but there really was a huge selection to choose from and the tuna and sardines were lovely.
I wasn’t too keen on the desserts, but the ice-cream was lovely. I’ve no idea if the cake type desserts were typical Spanish desserts or not, but they weren’t things I’d ever had. Well I’ve had jelly before obviously!
I’m not a fussy eater at all, but i was slightly disappointed in the selection of fruit.
It was mostly tinned pineapple and pear halves. Some tinned fruit cocktail and slices of fresh melon. Although, i understand that nothing like this is grown on the island and its costly to fly in exotic fresh fruits.
There were pre made salads to choose from but I stayed away from these. It looked like the best opportunity to use up yesterdays left over’s. Which I’d do myself at home, but I just didn’t fancy it from the hotel.
There was a tap of Amstel beer in the restaurant where you helped yourself to drinks. There was red and white wine as well as soft drinks available. The wine wasn’t great to be honest (and I love my wine) so I mostly stuck to vodka and lemon or gin and tonic!

The night Bar was quite small really but there were outside seats which were lovely in the warm evening. The indoor seating around the piano are also lovely, but once the bar is shut do be mindful that noise travels and you’re sat under all of the other rooms! Often the rowdy guests were asked to go to the TV room which they did without any concerns or complaints. We were left having a quiet conversation next to the piano.

I believe there’s a restaurant and club under the hotel but this wasn’t open when we were there. I don’t have a problem with that; the place was only half full at the maximum. It doesn’t make sense to have two bars open when neither would be full.

Although I wasn’t too bothered by the evening entertainment, I think others would find it quite dull. I felt that mostly it was aimed at children with magicians and a parrot and a snake show. That sort of stuff. However, I certainly WOULDN’T recommend the hotel for kids. There’s really not that much for them to do. There was a pool table and a table tennis table but depending on the age of the child I think they would become very bored very quickly. It would have been nice to be able to have a bit of a dance in the evening. But the bar area wasn’t really set up too well for this.

The pool area is nice enough. The pool is salt water but there are showers to wash off when you get in and out of the pool. There are the usual rules of the swimming pool, and one of which is that you can’t reserve sunbeds. This wasn’t particularly enforced when we stayed which annoyed me slightly. I hope they sort that out when the hotel is full! There are snacks available at the pool, but these generally have to be ordered, which is better because the items are made fresh! I’ve seen other posts since I returned moaning about not having food available on tap at the pool bar.
Personally, id rather have it freshly cooked and hot!

If you stay you MUST take a walk in to El Medino. It’s a quaint little town with lots of interesting bars and shops and some lovely places to eat. Its about 15 min walk and the way is paved and quite well light up at night. Although, its only around 3.5 euro in a taxi. The hotel have information about buses in to other towns and a map of El Medino at reception. The town is mostly full of Spanish people, which makes a lovely change from being inundated with brits abroad!!

One thing my partner and I agreed on was that we wouldn’t like to go back to the hotel at peak season. We thought there would be a big struggle for space at both the restaurant and bars, and also with sun beds.

We had a lovely stay and are already looking to book to go back in May 2011. As were some of the other guests we met while we were there.
Don’t be put off by the other blown out of proportion whinges on here. If you’re looking for a quiet relaxed holiday without any stress this is the place for you.

p.s. you dont need to take beach towels for the sunbeds, they are provided. And there is wifi in the htoel, but we found only two spots working (by the pool bar and in the restaurant) but they do have PC's there too.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Vincci Tenerife Golf Hotel
#2 of 4 in Golf del Sur
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,614 reviews
Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf
Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & ...
#1 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona
Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club
Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club
#3 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,956 reviews

Been to Hotel Arenas del Mar? Share your experiences!