“"Different"”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in El Medano
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“"Different"”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We chose this hotel for its quiet location and its certainly quiet. As we approached the hotel I was quite shocked at how little there was around us. However, we were greeted with a smile and "Richard" was friendly and made us feel welcome. My immediate thought was how very clean everywhere seemed to be, the reception was airy and bright. We were given our key and found our room easily. I must admit the corridors to the rooms do give the impression of a prison, however once we entered our room, ( we had payed for the sea view) we were very happy. It was clean and spacious and the view from the balcony was lovely. I was disappointed there was no tea and coffee making facilities and I was under the impression that a free mini bar was also part of the deal. I queried this but was told that the supermarket next door was open 9 till 9 and we could bring drinks in if we wanted anything. This wasn't quite the answer I was expecting, however with all inclusive there was plenty of drink available. The food was plentiful and was only repetitive if you made it that way. Every night there was a choice of at least 3 meats, vegetables, pastas, rice, and lots more. A choice of 2 soups where always available, I did feel the deserts could have been better, but fresh fruit and ice cream where always on hand. The dining room was bright and spacious with lovely views across the sea. I loved the fact that no matter what time you went to lay by the pool there was always plenty of available sun beds. The pool was warm but very salty. Pool towels were given out every 2 days and they are strict on this, regardless of the state of your towel. The waiters were always fine with us and Richard tries so very hard to get people together. He is never pushy though and if you don't want to join in that's fine. The sea is lovely and when the tide goes out there is a definite sand path that you can walk across avoiding the rocks. The town is a good 15min walk away and a good chance to meet the locals. We walked there several times and never felt intimidated at all. There's not much once you get there, a great ice-cream parlour and several nice places to eat.
Evening entertainment is not the best and the bar closes to all inclusive at 11. I did find this frustrating as the entertainment doesn't start until around 10pm.
It is a very windy place to be and at times I found the wind to be quite chilly, If you want to sit outside in the evening take something warm.
Its a very small hotel which means there's no getting away from the noise of the entertainment at night. However make sure you watch the Mr & Mrs show, its hilarious, good old Richard again!
It depends what your looking for in a holiday, we go with an open mind and make the most of what there is. Ive certainly visited worse. If its a quiet get away your wanting then this is it. Just be aware that there is no service whatsoever, so if you like to be waited on don't come here.

Room Tip: sea view suite
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lisa c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Polish first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Booked for 10 days all inclusive. We will never return. Cant believe that a 4 star hotel does not have a money exchange service - but unofficially they will exchange sterling £1 for 1 euro, what a rip off. Although we were all inclusive, on checking out of the room at noon, our arm bands were cut off and we were told we could had to pay for any drinks or snacks. This is despite not leaving the hotel to go to the airport until 7.15 pm.
The food was not great, same food every day. Was too windy, you couldn't leave the sun bed unless you folded it over to prevent your towel been blown away. Entertainment was dire. Although it was a quite hotel.

3 Thank iant t
Bristol
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Brilliant relaxing hotel, enjoyed nearly every minute of it.
But they need to improve the maintenance as some other guests complained about broken plaster, broken facilities etc.
They also Need to enforce all rules that are set. They don't enforce the rule of no shorts at dinner.
They also don't advertise the a la carte restaurant which is under the main Buffett restaurant. This place is beautiful with fresh food that it cooked perfectly.
I will go back again as it was just what the doctor ordered for relaxation

Room Tip: Opt for the upgrade as those rooms are a small flat with excellent views
2 Thank Welshdriver
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I don't have much to say that is positive about this hotel.

The building looks like a prison.

On arrival the receptionist couldn't find our booking, once we'd sorted that error out we checked in to our room which was actually quite nice, clean, nice size and had all the amenities needed.

This has to be the windiest resort I have ever come across. On several occasions my shorts/book ended up flying across the pool area with the wind. If you aren't sat on your sun lounger again that will take off. It wasn't a relaxing time by the pool by any means. The plastic fence which I can only assume is meant to shield you from the wind is filthy and needs and a good clean.

We stayed all inclusive which I think is the only option available, by the 4th day apart from the pizza it felt like they were serving the same thing over and over again, anything that wasn't finished they would put out again the next day which put my off somewhat.

We decided to go for a stroll to the local town, most of the buildings surrounding the hotel are vacant and seem to have no one living in them. It felt like we were walking through a ghosts town.

The beach is full of sharp stones so trying to get out of the sea is rather embarassing as you'll be bouncing around with sore feet on the rough volcanic rock. Of an evening we went for a stroll along the beach and there was a large group of lads drinking, having a BBQ which in the dark is quite intimidating.

I will not be returning to this hotel as the food is recycled, the alcohol is watered down, the entertainment at night is so cheesy, the beach is unpleasant to say the least, the wind your faced with by the pool is awful, the surrounding area is like a ghost town. Wouldn't recommend!

• Stayed June 2014
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Just spent 10 days at the hotel. The room was dirty as was the bathroom. The public toilets were also dirty. The food was not very nice at all, we ended up walking into El Medano for a bite to eat. Do not know how the hotel has 4 stars. Some of the staff were helpful but some were not. It is windy which can be nice, but most days it was so windy that you had to anchor your towel when you left your sun bed, you would shiver on coming out of the pool and had to wrap up.

1 Thank Wendy T
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Seriously if you want a decent holiday DONT come here. I checked trip advisor and thought people just wanted to complain, but oh my wat a surprise it was. I would never ever come here or recommend it to anyone and that's the truth. I met and spoke to so many couples who couldn't stand it, one couple decided to get an early flight back. There is nothing around here, there's a small town which is a 15 minutes walk but they only sell surfers items. If you want to impress your partner don't come to this hotel, the entertainment guy Richard is soooooo annoying, he's too much, his favourite word is 'shut up'. He leaps on singe women eurggggh. There's nothing around here, but if you decide to be stubborn like me then you will regret it when you get here. The food is disgusting, not much to choose from and I found a hair in my food, I informed the worker and he got well offended. You won't get the quality you paid for and that's the honest truth. Don't come and make the same mistake. Entertainment is crap, food is crap, location is crap and so are the drinks.

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Abdul Q
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Just spent 10 Nights at the Arenas. My only regret is I wish I had come for longer. Food is the best I have experienced in hotel of this class on European holiday. The staff are friendly & Helpful. I can advise if you wish to book any trips you will save money to book outside the hotel. Richard who I am sure you have read about in other reviews is great fun. If you do not wish to take part in is activities is not pushy and will soon move on. But he is great fun and very amusing. The town of El Medano is a 20 minute walk is very Spanish but the locals are friendly. It is been windy through our stay but don't be caught when in the sun it's very deceiving and you can easily get burnt. I would highly recommend for a peaceful relaxing holiday.

Stayed July 2014
#2 of 4 in Golf del Sur
Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club
Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club
#3 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona

Been to Hotel Arenas del Mar? Share your experiences!