“Great hotel but area is a bit dead”

Hotel Arenas del Mar
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in El Medano
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We were very happy with everything about this hotel, the room was one of the best we have been in, the pool area was great except for the wind, you could not miss the wind, The food in the restaurant was ok, could always find a couple of choices we liked so the choice was good. There was entertainment every night if you wanted it. We really did like the hotel but there is nothing else anywhere near it, no other hotels, bars or shops so you were pretty much stuck at the hotel. Would not go back to the resort but if the hotel was located somewhere else would not hesitate in returning. May look at the sister hotel next time in Las Americas or Los Christianos. We went all inclusive but would maybe look at full board cos the all inclusive was a little limited. We haven't added any photo's cos the one the management have are a good representation of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rosecraig1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,331)

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We went here for a winter break on Nov 2012. We were not looking for a rip roaring time just a week away with hopefully a wee bit of sun. We were not expecting anything special about the hotel and were quite happy with our rooms and the hotel layout and facilities even though it's not the most attractive from outside.

I tried to cancel the holiday before going, because of the terrible reviews I read in Trip Adviser, but First Choice would not allow me to change my booking, I actually suspect false reviews being put in Trip Adviser as a consequence of me raising the alarm over prior reviews posted about this hotel,

On arrival I was actually quite happy with everything despite some of the poor reviews I had read, up until it was time to eat. The first thing I noticed was the lack of choice on offer. The food itself was absolutely pathetic. We would sit and watch new arrivals reaction to the food. The staff looked poorly trained but I felt sorry for them and blamed poor management for the poor catering. This is the first time I have written a review. I can't be bothered, but I want to warn ordinary hard working people about the quality of the food at this hotel. It's a shame because if your the type of person. like myself. who is only looking for a fair deal in exchange for parting with my hard earned cash, this could have been an enjoyable holiday food omitting.

The food was cold and inedible mostly because of the quality of produce, and for those of you who decide to go, check your glass for beetles before pouring a drink. I am disgusted that travel companies are still trying to sell this hotel.People deserve better for their hard earned cash. I should have pursued financial compensation when I got home but I don't have the time or energy to fight with travel agents. They will fight tooth and nail rather than admit their failings.

My wife and I try to get away 2 or 3 times a year. We work hard and our wee breaks away are what we look forward to. Do us and yourselves a favour DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL.

Jim from Glasgow

PS Beware of false posts on this site. My advice is not to harm anyone or to be malicious in any way.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 13JimM
Reviewed May 22, 2013

After 4 lovely days at hotel Arenas Del Mar, I thought I should write a few words. I can't normally be bothered with reviews but feel it's justified on this occasion. Perhaps it's best to give some back ground so the audience can relate and/or compare to what they're looking for. I am 30 years old and work as a lawyer in London. I travel about 15+ times per year for work and pleasure. On this occasion, I travelled with my mum in the beginning of May and just wanted a nice, relaxing few days in the sun. She's only 49 herself and we do a trip every year so used to travelling a lot also and had a lot of holidays to compare to this one. Neither of us had been to Tenerife and didn’t really have a urge to go as thought it would be tacky (from holiday programmes you see on TV) but found a good last minute deal at this hotel via British Airways and the description sounded great, especially because it also had a SPA. Also, lots of people had told me that you can't really go wrong with the weather in the Canaries. However, I was slightly apprehensive as after I booked, I noticed that there had been a few bad reviews, however, I have learnt not to pay too much attention to the bad reviews as some people find the most ridiculous things to complain about. The previous bad reviews were along the lines of: they didn’t have enough staff, the alcohol wasn’t great, the staff were rude, it was too windy and the place was really boring. However, I am going to set out my experience:
Location
Very handy location close to the South airport and only about 12-14 Euros in a taxi. This was ideal for us as only there for a few days. The hotel is right on the beach and yes, there isn’t much to do there. However, if you are like me when you for a 'relaxing' holiday like this, I do not like to 'do' much ;). The hotel has sufficient facilities to keep you happy and some of you may not want to move from the pool as it’s lovely, has a pool bar and you are a stone throw from the beach which has a cool little wooden beach bar also. There is the local town about a 10-15 mins wander along the beach called El Medano and it is beautiful. It’s very unspoilt with a few cute little tapas bars that have terraces over hanging the sea, everything is very reasonable (fantastic mojitos for £2) as they cater for the locals which is pretty refreshing. There is a lovely square with a few more cafes and a market every Saturday which is very cool. We were all inclusive but ventured out for afternoons in the town because it was so lovely and pretty cheap too. It is also very popular with the kite/wind surfers due to the winds and I think this really adds to the ambiance and quirkiness of the place. I really wanted to try a few lessons but wasn’t exactly my mum’s thing so will maybe venture back with my boyfriend another time! So, the reviews from people saying it was ‘boring’ should have really done their research because if you are wanting a vibrant and pumping place, you won’t find it here. However, if you enjoy local culture, great food, great coffee, cheap but good beer, lovely scenery and somewhere that’s not like England with sun then you should consider this place. There’s also a bus stop in the town and you can visit other areas of the Island if you stay longer. Also, a lovely place to go for nice runs (in the mornings) so bring your trainers.
Hotel
The hotel was spotless. It completely deserves the 4* rating. We upgraded to seaview and ended up getting better than we paid for. We had a room with a huge terrace and beautiful views. The room was well lit, tastefully decorated, had a great bathroom and again, was extremely clean. The hotel itself was beautiful, modern decor, quite simple with a few abstract pieces but much better than I had expected. The restaurant was lovely also, had a nice glass covered terrace and nicely laid out. The food was buffet but it was very nicely laid out and it still had an a la carte restaurant feel to it.
The food was great. For once you aren’t bombarded with crap burgers, hot dogs and rubbish. Everything was fresh and healthy including fresh fish every day that’s cooked in front of you. There was a good variety and I didn’t find it repetitive. They did cook the occasional pizzas/fries etc too so at least you do have that option. The salads were good and we enjoyed it all very much. It probably wasn’t the best buffet I’ve had at an all-inclusive hotel but for what you pay, I think it’s perfect. The alcohol for the all-inclusive isn’t amazing as it’s local spirits but they’re not that bad. The wines are good (can’t go wrong with Spanish wine) and the sangria is really nice. If you want the nicer drinks you need to pay but it’s not expensive and remember, they are Spanish measures so probably 2 drinks will do! Also, the other wines/cava etc are all very reasonably priced.
Staff
I thought the staff were superb. Everyone couldn’t be happier to help and all were very well mannered, attentive and pleasant. The 2 guys at the front desk, Alex and Israel were very accommodating and did their jobs efficiently. I can see why some people may have complained that the place was understaffed as not many staff around but for us, it made no difference at all because it wasn’t so busy but in saying that, it wasn’t exactly empty either! Maybe they could do with some more staff in peak seasons but I guess they are on to that. However, not a good enough reason to fault the hotel in my opinion. Regardless, short staffed or not, everyone was absolutely lovely and all worked very hard. The barmen and barista at the cafeteria and pool bar didn’t stop a second and were very nice. I think the people complaining about ‘rudeness’ are the type to talk condescendingly to the staff because they are on holiday and believe they are somewhat superior. I witnessed a couple of ladies speaking to the barman quite rudely and this aggravated me. If she were in the UK, she would have been told were to go but the barman just carried on with his job and remained pleasant. I then overheard the lady saying that he was grumpy, this was not the case at all, he couldn’t have been nicer with us but I suppose you have to show some element of respect and manners to expect someone to be warm and friendly with you? Common sense?
Entertainment
There wasn’t much but every evening had some live music in the bar and my mum loved it. They were all old time classics and just fun to watch/listen to, even I enjoyed it. It’s not my usual idea of night life but then again, it was what we were looking for and suited us perfectly. All the acts were really good and professional. On one night, they had a snake show, I wasn’t going to stick around but did in the end and ended up having the snakes around my neck and had photos taken, turned out to be very entertaining and great fun.
The SPA
The SPA was just wonderful, beautiful and very relaxing. They had thermal/warm/ice baths with a beautiful steam room and sauna. The salt pool with massage chairs were amazing also. On my second day there, I turned badly and ended up inflaming my muscle behind my shoulder. I couldn’t turn my head at all and was in so much pain. I was going to chuck some Ibrobrufen down me as it’s happened before and lasted 5 days but had a little word with the masseuse who said he could try to treat it. He was called Uriel (sorry, think that’s the spelling) and oh my goodness, amazing. The massage completely sorted me out, I couldn’t believe it, probably the best massage I’ve ever had. Everything was so professional and I could tell that he was really experienced. I ended up having another before I left and to be honest, I think I’d go back just for the massage, it was better than going to a chiropractor and very reasonable.

Overall, my mum and I had the best time and it was exactly what we were looking for. I don’t think the place is ideal for kids, not much for them but the hotel does class itself as an adult’s hotel. It’s perfect if you just want to relax and get a tan but if you’re looking for more, you should do your research with other areas of the Island. Also, it can get quite windy but it wasn’t bad when we were there and in fairness, I actually loved the breeze as it made the sunbathing bearable and the tan I got in 4 days was probably better than the one I got in 2 weeks in Mauritius. The sun is super strong so factor up and don’t be fooled by the wind, it is African sun after all.
Big thank you to everyone at the hotel, we had a splendid trip and my mum is planning on returning there with her husband at the end of September so I will get in touch 

Room Tip: You should definitely get the sea view rooms if the price isn't too much of a difference but the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
16  Thank LPYT
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Booked 21st April for 2 weeks. Excellent hotel, very clean. Friendly and helpful staff (Alex, Israel, Richard, Enzo, Krismar) to name but a few. Food was good. As suggested by other people pay extra for sea view, we had mountain view which gets no sun and on the cooler days it is too cold to sit on the balcony (our second week was really cold). On the minus side no iron, tea/coffee making facilities. The wardrobes badly designed looks like a double but one part taken up with safety deposit box and the other with shelves, so only about a quarter left for hanging space. Thus said this didn't spoil our holiday we went for relaxing break and this is what we had. All inclusive we had no complaints. We met some really nice people, including 'the Five ladies".

Room Tip: Don't go for front of hotel room 227, no sun, also some nights there was a dog barking.
2  Thank 1972limasol
Reviewed May 11, 2013

From start to finish excellent! Five ladies - 2 under 50 (we know who we are) had fun from start to finish. Israel the receptionist was both charming and hilarious at the same time and even let us "ring his bell". We had lovely connecting rooms with a private hallway so we could leave the doors open. It is well worth paying that bit extra as we had beautiful pool and sea views as we were on a corner. Our rooms 312/313 were spotless clean and fresh towels were supplied daily. 312 is a superb suite with a dining and living area and huge bathroom. This room was used as our social area. Beds a little hard but that's just a personal preference for me as rest of girls fine. Everywhere you went in this hotel was spotless and all staff were very friendly.
A special mention has to go to Richard - he is hilarious and kept us very entertained - we went from sexy ladies to lazy ladies in a blink of an eye! He really did make you participate in everything he did from aqua aerobics to spanish lessons and cooking classes! Weather could've been better - cloudy a couple of days but didn't stop us doing anything. Wonderful to lie at pool and watch the windsurfers. Is breezy but when sun is out you need it. You don't need beach towels as these are supplied by hotel spa. Spa looked lovely but we didn't use it - maybe next time. Bar staff at pool lovely and lady who works there and dining room fabulous. Only downside was entertainment although we didn't let it stop us having a good time. Female singer was great but rest not so good.
We met lots of nice people on this trip and have already recommended this hotel to friends and family.
Don't be put off by the prison like building or any reviews - this place is brilliant if you want to get away from it all.
Top tip - don't miss the market on Saturday it was great - countless handbags and dresses later so remember and leave space in the case!

Room Tip: Corner suites are worth the extra money
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank CharmaineM
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Booked a week in April to get away from the British winter. Lots of sunshine but also a strong breeze. However, when it dropped you realised how nice it was when it was blowing.

Agree with the reviewer that mentioned the non windy side of the hotel that got the sun in the afternoon. Always a dash for those sun beds. The pool was lovely and warm and very clean.

Agree entirely with all the comments from the last reviewer, Graham T. The staff were very efficient and friendly, Richard the entertainment guy was always cheerful, even if he didn't get lots of people joining in, the food was good and the room and hotel were very clean. We were on all inclusive and there was never any problem in getting a drink. There was entertainment every evening and the Motown group were excellent. Although we were above the bar everything was quiet by midnight.

My ONLY complaint was that smoking was allowed all around the pool and to a non smoker this was not very nice. We also had the junior suite over the bar, Room107, and the smoke used to rise from the outside seating area up into our room. I suggested on my comment form that there should be a smoking area around the pool and that those smoking outside should move away from the hotel.

Although this hotel is close to the airport the aircraft noise was not really intrusive.
All in all a lovely hotel forms week relaxing in the sun.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke do not get room 107 or those nearby.
Reviewed May 3, 2013

we were so concerned, having seen some of the reviews that cropped up shortly before we were due to fly ( 16/4) that we already had the mind-set that we would have to make the best of a bad job. We were driven from the airport by a taxi and saw the prison looking building from afar, but as we approached realised that it didn't look anywhere near as bad as the photos make it look, not so grey. Anyway, we were given a warm welcome, and booked in very quickly, 2 lifts to the rooms, we were in room 525 which had a lovely sunny balcony in the afternoon. The room was delightful, how anyone could complain, I really don't know. The double bed was comfortable ( not the best, but for what we'd paid.......) there was plenty of hot water, the air con was effective, it was clean, tidy, and spacious. If I had to find something to twist about, I would say the towells didn't fit by the end of the week, but that had more to do with the expansion of my body. The food was great, IMO, you could select a different breakfast every day, if you wanted to, but we especially enjoyed the eggs, scrambled, poached, boiled, omelette, pancakes etc, all made by very friendly staff. The drinks were great too, Enzo was quiet but very friendly and efficient, I can vouch for the strength of the Sangria, I accidentally drank it like pop and was too sloshed for supper one night. It is adults only, so no kids making a noise or dashing about, there were a few younger couples, but i would say the average age was @ 55 ( ish) but it had a lovely atmosphere, no old fogeys, everyone seemed to be there for a good time, and we certainly had that. Very relaxing, chilled holiday with pleasant company - we will definately be back.

Room Tip: please request a sunny terrace for the time of day that suits you, we like afternoon sun and room 52...
1  Thank CaznTrevNorthEast
#16 of 61 in Costa Adeje
Sol Costa Atlantis
Sol Costa Atlantis
#10 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz

Been to Hotel Arenas del Mar? Share your experiences!