Casa Tomaren
Finca Isabel(Mozaga)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsminute driverelaxing retreatgorgeous poolthe swimming pool areabreakfast rooma great staylanzaroteaccommodationvillabedroomswimmingpoolholidayteguisejacuzziheatingkettle
Reviewed December 19, 2012

2nd visit. Still wonderful. In the centre of Lanzarote which means a few degrees cooler than the coast, quiet nights, clear starlit skies and log fires in the apartment in the winter. Logs from the garage down the road. Friendly cat - same as last year, almost seemed to remember us. Moroccan colours, Asian themes, lots of dark wood in the apartments. Friendly breakfast, hardly ever see another sole otherwise. Great outdoor private gardens, outdoor fires at night and a few BBQ's.

See the point of some of the recent reviews - reception is only open in the morning and it could do with a few extra utensils, but I think the idea is not luxury, more a bohemian relax. There's a shop down the road in Mozaga where you can get anything and the hypermarket by the airport's 12 min drive away. I'd prefer this place to retain it's charm above obsessing over little things. I broke a wine glass, but went out and bought another as I would at home. Cost 1 euro. I always find it odd what's important to some reviewers but not others.

Stayed in Melati this time, slightly shady terrace with interesting interior, but in Mawar last time - beautiful views.

All in all, good basic accommodation for a reasonable price, but with a touch of the unusual, in a central location. Staff were gentle and helpful, but remember this is more like a serviced self catering villa than a hotel. Maybe not ideal for 1st time visitors to the island.

Room Tip: Mawar for gorgeous views, melati for nice interior
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David G
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We have just stayed in Mawar and would agree with the below review. Though it is perfectly adequate, everything looks tired. Attention to detail is so important and makes the difference between recommending a place or not. We arrived on Saturday lunchtime and reception didn’t open again until Monday morning. No information was left either in the house or breakfast room – not even a map, or a simple sheet letting you know where the nearest supermarket is or a selection of restaurants – it would be so easy to do. The towels were old. Also, pool / beach towels are not provided but you are not told this. The bottle opener was broken & we accidentally broke a wine glass (one of the two provided) but were not given a replacement - we didn’t ask for one, but should we have to? We stayed 8 nights and our bed linen was not changed – the website gives the impression that it will be. The bed was incredibly soft….fine for a while but we had bad backs most mornings, as a result! The safe was broken, so nowhere to lock valuables. These are all minor things but add them up…..

When we approached staff, they were helpful but we did generally feel as if they weren’t really that bothered. That said, they were very quick to respond to emails / queries before we arrived. Though we appreciate that we were not staying during the busy peak season, there was a slight “shut down for the winter” feeling about the place. We would have loved to have been able to use the pool area (too cold) which is probably the highlight of the place.

We felt completely relaxed – we liked the location, the views and the peace and quiet. As a fan of yoga, I can see why it would be the perfect place for a retreat. The best beaches are at Papagoya – about a 45 minute drive. Some great bodegas nearby for delicious food and wine. Overall, interesting scenery, a very simple holiday and a good place to disconnect. You definitely need to hire a car and be prepared to drive quite a lot.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GWTC
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were a little disappointed by Casa Tomaren - our accommodation (Mawar, the two-storey villa) was very dark and smelt slightly musty. It wasn't overly well-equipped - there was only 3 of everything (plates, spoons etc.) and the appliances were old and a little bit rusty, except the microwave! The shower was good and comfortable bed, but other furnishings need updating. Pool area lovely but the pool was freezing! Breakfast was fine - typical, continental fare. It all just felt a bit neglected - we wouldn't go back - there are better places for the same price.

Nice views - you can walk along a path to Mozaga - the restaurant at Casario de Mozaga and the Museo de Campesino are about a 10-15 min walk and both worth visiting!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amuia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We spent five days in villa Mawar end of May. Very nice romantic little house with a lovely private garden. The house and terrace were very clean as well as the grounds and the pool. We were a little bit worried because of the latest reviews of Casa Tomaren. But everything is OK. Daily breakfast is decent for such a small place. We definitely recommand Casa Tomaren: if you like quiet and peaceful retreats, this is the place to be.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nosvoyages
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We just spent a holiday at Casa Tomaren and I wish I had not. After our first night we complained of ants in our beds and in hindsight we should have left straight away but did not want to spoil our holiday. As the holiday progressed our girls got bitten to death by bed bugs and I have picked up some other bug related rash which I have yet to diagnose. I thought they were mosquitos at the time but took the girls to the doctor on my return and was told they were bed bugs., URGHH

I have complained to the owners and asked for compensation. We were sent a bogus certificate claiming they had no bed bugs, typed up by their incompetetant pest control company. For that read that they plan to do nothing about the problem. Attached are pictures of my girls bites which I think are pretty conclusive. The owners have no regard for customers even at a heath and safety level. It is a disgrace. I wish we had never gone there.

Oh and the pool is freezing and its in the middle of nowhere. Based on our experience.DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING HERE.

Room Tip: Do not stay here at any costs.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank LondonRhona
DamianLanzarote, Owner at Casa Tomaren, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

I was very surprised to receive this review as at the end of the stay of these people all we received was praise and thanks. We did receive a complaint about the ants on the first day and the issue was dealt with immediately. After receiving the complaint after the client went home we immediately organised for the house to have a thorough revision by a government licensed company who issued us with a certificate stating that there was no insects of any type in the house.