We spent a week with just the right amount of relaxing and exploring. This is an older hotel that is nestled in the remains of a jungle that is now surrounded by farm land. There are two small rivers running through the property, but most people will only see the one that runs beside the dinning room and the pools. The outside has recently been updated and they did an excellent job with the grounds and overall ambiance. The rooms were nothing spectacular, in fact the art work in the rooms was not worth hanging, but there was no reason to be in the room except to sleep.
Franks Tours is one of the best aspects of the hotel. Frank is a high energy young gentleman who lives to help guests enjoy his country. He is unfailingly courteous and does everything that he can to make your trip interesting and enjoyable, including stopping to check out a sloth, colorful poisonous frogs or for ice cold coconut milk on the way back from an adventure.
The two drawbacks to the hotel are the inconsistency of the dinning room and the language limitations of the front desk staff. Some meals were great, others mediocre. It helps if you can speak some Spanish. They do cater to guests from San Jose and on the weekend we were almost the only people who were not locals. We did meet some very friendly and interesting families, both from Costa Rica and other countries.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Tucano Hotel’s main guest is Mother Nature. The hotel has 87 rooms, including two luxury suites, though the real luxury is the chance to take a bath in its thermal waters. Featuring a 500 people capacity restaurant and conference halls for 200 people, both areas are surrounded by the primary forest housing a countless variety of flora and fauna. El Tucano Hotel has one of the most complete spas in Latin America where all the visitors renew their body and soul thanks to the communion received by the gifts of nature. In its extension of almost 7 acres of land and 9000 m2 of construction are produced 80 liters of water per second flowing from the 7 springs of thermal waters. The hotel has three hot springs pools recently remodeled and a hot water river with wonderful waterfalls and natural pools (surrounded the whole property), guests can swim in and let the river take all its problems while they get renew with its powerful energy. There is also a tennis field, several trails through the forest and mini golf area, though the best activity to practice at El Tucano is relaxation while contemplating the great masterpiece that surrounds it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your El Tucano Resort & Thermal Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Tucano Resort & Thermal Hotel San Carlos
- El Tucano Resort And Thermal Spa
- Occidental El Tucano Hotel
- Occidental El Tucano Resort
- El Tucano Resort & Thermal Spa Costa Rica/San Carlos