“Not what i expected. More like a water park by day and dance club by night.”

Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in San Carlos
Reviewed February 19, 2014

The resort is beautiful although there are no natural hot springs as there are at Tabacon and Arenal hot springs. Everything is poured concreted. The water is still beautiful and some pools were really hot, which was very nice.

There is a sauna in the "cave" area but it smelled like urine every time we went in the check it out.

There ia wifi but it seldomly works and when it does it is painfully slow.

The worst part for me was the really, really, really loud dance music that goes well past 2am. I eventually fell asleep but paying over $300 per night and Baldi presenting itself as premium resort. I did not expect this type of party situation. I would not have booked here if i had known.

I tried to call the reception several times but always no answer.

During the day there are plenty of children in almost every pool and running all over the place.

They present themselves as a premium resort but are more of a water park by day and electronica dance club by night.

I would never suggest to stay here unless you have kids and all of you can sleep through very loud dance music.

Try Tabacon its a bit more money but worth every penny.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Yogagirlforlife
There are newer reviews for Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Positives....

The hot springs are amazing worth the trip alone and by staying there you can avoid the crowds
The room seem to be quite a recent addition and so are pretty new are also large and spacious

Negatives
There seems to be a lot of building work going on when we stayed... so the views from the room are of building sites,,,not great!
We ate at the buffet which was pretty average quality, but all you can eat so great if your on a budget and hungry

General review - definitely worth a visit....stay overnight if you can afford it, and want to enjoy the pools with less people.. but if not just visit for the day still great

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed here 2 nights. We got a room on the top floor of the building where we figured it would be a nice view. There is construction in the front and back, there's nothing to see and super noisy. The room was dark. Dark wood floors dark wood walls and dark wood ceiling. There were very few lights in the room. It was like a terrible hot dark sauna. There was no insulation in the ceiling and when it rained at night (and it rains here every night) the sound was so loud of the rain on the metal roof that we could not sleep. The walls are so thin that we heard the guy in the next room snoring all night. If the rain won't wake you, feeling like the neighbors are actually in your room sure will! Breakfast was nothing special, service was average. The pools were ok, this is an overpriced hotel to pay for the pool maintenance. We were very disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank kiticel
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Best and ONLY good part of the Baldi were the hot springs. We had a fabulous time with our friends in their many many hot springs on site.

Now for the bad stuff. The room was less than mediocre and I'm not that hard to please. There is major construction going on in front of and behind the hotel room building. Nothing to see there So any "stunning views" you'd hoped for don't exist, regardless of the floor. I also noticed that I would hang our towels to dry after showering or hot springs and 24 hours later they would still be soaking wet. Not a room you want to sleep in for multiple nights. Oh, and the bed was terrible.

The WORST part is like another recent reviewer we too were overcharged. i'm gathering by at least $300. We also booked our room on booking.com so I am hoping they will help resolve. The amount they had quoted vs. what we were charged is $400 off. i'm thinking maybe it didn't include taxes but that wasn't clearly spelled out.

poor hotel, poor staff, food was ehhhh, glad we only stayed 2 nights and most definitely wouldn't go back or recommend.

Room Tip: Looking for a good room? Stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lindsey R
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

It saddens me that I have to write this review because the stay was good it's what happened after that ruined it. Two nights stay at Baldi should have cost me £248 but when I checked my bank after my stay I noticed they had taken £583.87 out of my account. I emailed them 4 days ago and have heard nothing off them. I booked with booking.com so they are hopefully sorting this huge error out. This mess up on Baldi's side has left me with no money in my bank and bank charges so as you can imagine I am annoyed. Looks like Baldi cannot be trusted with your bank details. Very sad.

The stay itself at Baldi was nice. The room was basic but that was fine. The pools were amazing, I loved the pool bars. It was good that I didn't need to carry money as I charged it to my room and paid once I checked out. Make sure you keep all booking info and receipts as they may try to over charge you and you will need to prove what have already paid. I wouldn't trust them with my bank details either after what they did to me.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dannii_p84
Reviewed February 9, 2014

After a stressful day, my girlfriend and I came here to use the spa. For $50 each, we had access to all the spa pools and had a great buffet dinner. The pools are incredible, and temperatures range from very hot (47C), to pretty cool (25C). There were a couple slides, but when they ask you if you want the fast one or the slow one, do not pick the fast one! In this case, faster is just more painful. It was like being thrown down a garbage chute. We would have loved to use one of the other rides (the one that looks like a toilet bowl), but it was closed for the night. Great place to relax! It really gives you a great perspective on the amount of water and the temperatures associated with the Arenal volcano. Would go there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steven H
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I went to these hot springs on 12/26/13 with my daughter, best friend, and her daughter. The girls were 8 and 5 years old. Physically, the place is absolutely beautiful and for the most part the staff was great. There were two major problems that almost ruined the entire experience and caused me to go back and forth between giving this place 2 starts versus 3 stars: my daughter almost drowning from the waterslide and being accused of towel theft.

There are a couple of waterslides at the hot springs. When we ascended the stairs I asked the guy point-blank if my daughter (the 8 year old) was tall enough to get on the slides. He smiled at me and assured me that she was definitely tall enough, and that it was perfectly safe. So I allowed her to go down ahead of me. When it was my turn I went down, and before I could finish going down the worker sent another person after me. She crashed into me at the end of the slide, causing us both to flip over into the pool. While catching my breath, listening to the other slider apologize, and rescuing the back of my swimsuit from becoming one with my digestive system, I was told by my friend that my daughter almost drowned because the water at the end of the slide was too deep for her, and that luckily her swim skills were good enough to get her to the edge and swim out. So, apparently she WAS too short for the slide, and it was a MAJOR oversight on the part of the worker, whose first priority should have been safety.

Then, at the end, when my tour group were handing in towels and locker keys I was approached by my tour guide and workers at Baldi, all of whom accused me of having stolen two of their towels. I informed them that it was impossible since I never took any, having brought my own from home, and that the one thing I did borrow was the locker key, which I returned. We went back and forth and it was paused for them to tell me to go to the buffet dinner with my group and that they would check the cameras, also telling me that I will need a credit card or cash on hand to pay the $15 per towel fee. All of these accusations were IN FRONT OF THE OTHER GUESTS! I went to dinner, and when I was done eating, but before the rest of the group was done, I was approached by my tour guide saying that they were ready to view the tape with me. My daughter and I left the group and went with the tour guide. Along the way he received a phone call and made sure to speak very low so I couldn't hear him (my Spanish is VERY good). By the time we got down to the locker room the tone of the tour guide had changed for some reason. I found out why when we approached the workers at Baldi. They had apparently checked their cameras while I was being escorted down and it turns out that they had miscounted the towels and counted two of them towards me when they should have been counted towards the other group that was in line right behind mine. They apologized and told me that while I could go back to my group I would only have a few minutes because they would be leaving soon.

I was NOT given any sort of compensation for the embarrassment of having been accused of theft in front of my daughter AND ALL of the other guests, nor was I offered a free drink or a credit in the gift shop. It was a public accusation and a private, "Oops, my bad" apology. I am tempted to believe my daughter who, after we walked away said, "Well, I guess it's bad to be either a Nica [as in Nicaraguan] or a Negro at this place." I would prefer to think it was just poor record-keeping and poor customer service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Carlos
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
#12 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#6 of 63 in Arenal Volcano National Park
Arenal Manoa Hotel
Arenal Manoa Hotel
#13 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!