“Stay here if you like hot tubs & jacuzzis”

Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Carlos
San Francisco, California
“Stay here if you like hot tubs & jacuzzis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Baldi is a modern hotel about five minutes away from downtown La Fortuna ($6 taxi). Excellent staff, super nice and friendly. 5-7 hot spring pools, 3 water slides (the one in the middle is ridiculous fast!!), and 2 pool bars. Hot springs pools range from 93-120 degrees - definitely HOT! Continental breakfast was decent selection (fruits, fried rice, omelet station, etc), but delicious. The one star knock came from no room service/bar/resto after 10pm and dinner buffet not so good. If you just decide to come for the hot springs, a lot of people just do the tour package which is $30/pp inc hot springs pass + buffet dinner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Chepstow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We went to the hot springs for an afternoon after doing a kayaking and mountain bike tour and it was just what we needed! We went with our two boys aged 11 and 13 and there was a few slides into one of the pools which they loved (as well as many adults too!) and then many other pools of varying temperatures. I loved the caves which had waterfalls and a hidden sauna areas and having had a bad back for ages spent sone time letting the waterfalll land on my back. It felt so much better after that experience. There are a variety of swim up bars and snack areas, the only funny expereince was that my husband went to there shop and bough some crips and an security guard approached us and ask for our crips until we left. We tried to explain that we had bought them at their own shop and even produced a receipt but it wasnt until a second security guard was called that we were allowed to keep them! We would definetely go back to use these hot springs another time as it was a very relaxing afternoon.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Needing to ease those sore muscles from traveling and looking for a place to just unwind, we decided Baldi was the place to be! A great value for what is offered. If you can bring your own suit and leave all your extra stuff in the car. The locker & towel deposit aren't worth it. But oh those hot pools, wow! 25 of them starting at very mildly warm to 150 degrees should you so choose to do so. We went at night and the lighting illuminations of them was stunning. Loved the swim up bars, pool side drink service, and all around ambience! Yup, a great place to unwind!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was the last stop of a 14 hour CR tour and was much needed. After being in a mini bus all day, the pools took many kinks out of the back. Lobby and pools were very well done and clean. Only minor issue was the quanity (not quality) of staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. We did the day trip and not the hotel. We came late and only got to about 6 of the 25 hot springs or pools. Apparently they continue to build them. I believe you can get a ride up the mountain to others. I have visited hot springs in Colorado but nothing like this. You will come out relaxed and happy, no doubt. I will certainly go again.
This should be a 5 star, but I am giving it 4 because of my experience with employees. If you google "Baldi hot springs day pass it" takes you to a page within the Baldi website that appears to have links to the purchase a day pass with lunch or dinner. But all links fail. I mistakenly re-googled and found a pass for $45 per person with dinner and purchased it. When I got to Baldi, I told them I had reservations. The first counter person rolled her eyes at me and passed me immediately to someone else. She was nice, but told me 3 times it was impossible for me to have a reservation or buy tickets online because that is not an option. When I finally pulled the reservation off my phone, she told me that I had reservations but through a third party and I had to go find them. I figured it was too late, so I paid $102 for 2 people, the "door" price.
I have to say we loved the buffet. We came late at 8 pm with intention to stay until 10 pm, closing time. At 9:30 the 3 super cool slides were already closed! The sauna or steam is a little hidden walkway of gigantic fake stones enclosing a waterfall that must be 120 degrees, causing steam. Way cool. Unfortunately at 930 it began a downfall of rain. They don't offer towels. We walked to our car soaking.
i realized later that for the price of my hotel and the day pass, we should have probably stayed at the hotel. I would definitely go back, but Why have a dead link on your webpage? See it here: http://baldicostarica.com/leisure/day-passes.html links don't exist. Why? Who knows. This place could be a 5+ but they have to get their act together regarding passes. Also- the guy at the hotel told me he could have gotten the passes for me for $30 each or $60. Argh!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Good Place to stay. Very close to the city of La Fortuna. They have very good hot springs. I liked the hot springs at the Lobby of the hotel. The rooms are good but not so great. The food is average. If your goal is to get the best fun out of the hot springs, this is a nice place to stay. Definetely recommended for the hot springs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ind_travel_lover
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our group spent a couple of hours at the spa. We were traveling with Caravan Tours for 10 days in CR. We spent most of the day on the road and arrived at Baldi in the late afternoon. After hours on a bus, and then being baked on a boat ride, the opportunity to stretch out in a hot pool was wonderful. It was a relaxing end to a nice day spent with a nice group of people.

The spa was very crowded (we did not stay at the hotel), not particularly spotless and the towels were pretty well shot. At home they would have been used for rags. The absurd rule that if you didn't turn in the rag (towel) it would cost you $10 is outrageous. Other than that, no complaints!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Carlos
Volcano Lodge & Springs
Volcano Lodge & Springs
#14 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,749 reviews
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Manoa Hotel
Arenal Manoa Hotel
#12 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,766 reviews

Been to Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!