“Paradise and some”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Carlos
West Kelowna, Canada
“Paradise and some”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We spent a night in this stunning spa/ hotel while visiting the Arenal Volcanoe and tram/zip line.
This place has incredible hot pools, 25 in total, all different temperatures, including swim up bars, waterfalls, water slides. The restaurant has alacarte and breakfast buffet, both were good. The hotel rooms are spacious, with with sit out patios or balcony. The food for dinner was quite good, though get use to slow service and time for your meal is slow.
Nice to relax in the various pools and if your staying over night the pools are open 24hours.
The cost for the overnight, pools, breakfast was $168.00 which is high, but one night manageable after a long drive to get there. On arrival they give you a short guidedtour of the complex and different areas in a extended gold cart. There is walking to the different pools, with gradual sloping. Bring your own towel

Room Tip: No secret here, no issues. Except the day we were there the power was shut off for the day as power...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Donald D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Pools were beautiful. The hotel allowed outsiders to pay for pool access from 10am to 10pm but they were only crowded in the afternoon. Hotel guests had 24hour pool access. I am sure these outside pool patrons are why our room rate was very reasonable. Their daily breakfast buffet was nice. We had no ice machine access but the staff delivered ice to us whenever we wanted. Our room was nice, clean, and stayed cool in spite of the warm temps outside.

1 Thank Carolyn S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We went for the day. Our experience was good. We brought our own towels, beverages and ate in town. Not sure I would want to spend more than a few hours in the pools. Sitting in warm water on a warm day isn't all that great an experience in my opinion. Also, the slides really are treacherous. It was fun to try the different pools though, and we got some great pics. I am happy we went and recommend
a stop in LaFortuna, one of the prettiest towns we have seen in Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Torrance, California
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My wife and I spent an evening at Baldi Hot Springs. We paid $29 each towards the entrance to the "hot pools". The grounds were nice and the buffet was good. Please keep in mind proper etiquette when attending the buffet (ie: don't walk in dripping wet, shirt for guys, dress for ladies). Although we had a wonderful experience, I must give a terrible rating for what I witnessed there. They charge $7 for the use of their lockers... towards the end of the evening, as I was gathering my items and waiting for my wife, I witnessed the a Baldi supervisor do what he called "mantenimiento [maintenance]". I heard him tell the locker employee "tiempo de mantenimiento [Time for locker maintenance]". I observed him open up a locker with his (master) key, take out a wallet, look through it, and say "mae no tiene nada en la billetera [This dude doesn't have anything in his wallet]." He then pulled out a wad of bills from a pair of jeans from the back pocket and pulled out what appered to be a 10,000 colones bill, along with a 5000 colones bill (approx $30 US) and place it in his own pocket. He carefully and neatly replaced the items in the locker and closed it. He did not notice me looking directly at him or probably didn't even care... I did not bother to make a compaint there, because he was a supervisor, and I decided to post the complaint here.

Room Tip: Don't use lockers!
11 Thank Daniel K
London, ON Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Do not visit this site until all renovations are completed....probably next year. Construction is everywhere, jackhammers all around.....pools, buildings, bars etc. 3 pools were closed. Only one swim up bar out of 3 was open and no lounge chairs exist at this pool. We only stayed on a day pass including lunch. Lunch was ordered and came in about 45 minutes. Mine came as the wrong order....another 20 minute wait. My steak came blue....ordered medium.....another 20 minute wait. In the meantime, my was finished about 30 minutes before I got my meal to eat. Not impressed.

5 Thank scooter007
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed January 26, 2012

My mom and I visited here for the day while we were staying in La Fortuna. I had taken a lot of time reading up on and deciding between Baldi and the other popular hot spring competitor, but finally unsuredly and nervously decided on Baldi because of the price (through a tour sales person in La Fortuna we only paid $25 for the entrance fee instead of $35). I'm so thankful we didn't pay three times as much to go to the competitor! We went on a Monday (in high season), so it was NOT packed. At all. In fact, for the first half of the day we hardly even saw anybody else. Also, I read a review that a guy said he smelled like urine upon leaving. I didn't smell anything of the sort. The pools were well done, all of varying temperatures. For our first few hours we didn't realize there was more past the sauna, and then all of a sudden we went up and found the waterslides and the eating area and the big waterfalls and bar area further up past that. Based on previous reviews we chose NOT to eat the buffet (apparently it's gross), NOT to go on any of the slides (apparently they're dangerous), and NOT to buy the overpriced drinks (we carried water bottles with us to avoid dehydration). We packed some snacks, like granola bars and peanuts, and made it from noon-9 without a real meal (although by time we did get to a restaurant in La Fortuna we were pretty hungry). If you can prepare to avoid the things that have received the poorest reviews (buffet, waterslides, and overpriced drinks), this will be a great choice. We were sad when we had to leave! It was SO relaxing and with the countless number of pools (in the 20s at least) we never got bored and it was worth every penny. The only thing we were a little bummed about was the $7 locker (even tho we knew about it ahead of time we still thought it was silly overpriced) and the cold showers when we were cleaning off at the end of the day.
If you're not a picky traveler that's used to perfect 5-star service, go ahead and go here. I'm very thankful I saved my money and went here instead of somewhere else. I'm giving it 4 stars because you shouldn't have to go out of your way to prepare for bad service like we did, but if you go into it aware, you'll have a great time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lydia J
Bedford, TX
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Baldi Hot Springs. It was very nice to have the hot water pools on site. The rooms were nice and service was good.
Breakfast was a nice buffet with plenty of fresh fruit and hot food choices.
We traveled in FEB '2011 and not many people eating dinner though. You have the option of a buffet dinner or ordering from the menu.
The lobby is covered, yet open air type with the bar that you can sit at as you arrive or swim up if you are using the hot water spas.
A gift shop is located on premises as well.

The Baldi Hot Springs is about 2-3 miles out of the small town of La Fortuna. There is no paved sidewalk, so do not try to walk into town -- especially at night. A cab costs about $10 each way and they are readily available.
La Fortuna is a nice little town and suggest checking out the restaurants, shops and the various activity stores for things to do. We used Desafio Adventure Company and they run a nice tour company. White water rafting was the best we're done and FEB'2011 was a class 3 - 3.5. Also did the 'hanging bridges' tour.

Transporation from Liberia airport. TO Baldi we took a private van (approx $140 for 2). On the return we opted for 'shared' transfers and with a reservations there was only 4 of us in the van and cost was $40 p.p. and that took us from Baldi to the beach area on the west coast. We had to make a transfer to another van at the area where many vans depart. VERY EASY and the best part of waiting is seeing all the colorful, large macaw birds. Would return to this area again.

Room Tip: Request the second floor level facing Arenal Volcano and you might get lucky like we did to have a c...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Carlos
Volcano Lodge & Springs
Volcano Lodge & Springs
#14 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,790 reviews
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Manoa Hotel
Arenal Manoa Hotel
#12 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,788 reviews

Been to Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!