Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

CEMETERY IN THESALONIKI

Reviewed May 29, 2019
Antony123 B
Stockton-on-tees, United Kingdom

All reviews emotional experience turkish word heroes serbian buried freedom memorial headstones reminder history sacrifice struggle greece greek
Selected filters
Reviewed August 6, 2019

I would recommend to everyone who visits Thessaloniki to visit this WWI Cementary /Monument. For families who has their relatives burried here it is an exceptional emotional experience and great historical value especially if Deda Đorđe is there to give tell the story behind this monument!

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed May 29, 2019

I found this cemetery very moving. We were on a trip and didn't realise we were going there. Would like to have walked among the british part and laid some flowers but unfortunately we didn't have time. Very moving and I am glad I discovered it. Will certainly go back if I am in the country again.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank Antony123 B
Reviewed November 18, 2018 via mobile

Peaceful walking among heroes in a deafening silence. It was my first time visiting a war grave so for me it was like I entered a different dimension. All the surroundings are trying to teach you about heroism, love for the country & freedom, sacrifice and struggle but also about casualties, the incomprehensible mistake of war, the flaws of the mankind, a not so distant catastrophe.

A hidden gem in the vicinity. Be sure to check it and honor the fallen by accepting the collective wisdom of the place.

Date of experience: November 2018
Reviewed February 7, 2018

The cemetery is a final destination for several thousands of WWI soldiers from different countries and armies. The Serbian part has a mausoleum and an old cemetery keeper (Djordje Mihailovic), more than 80 years old. His grandfather was a WWI soldier and the first keeper of this place. Djordje's father continued to work here, and Djordje is the third keeper in the line. He says that he has only a daughter, and no sons, so he still has to work. He will be happy to explain all you want to know and to offer you some rakija (Serbian spirit drink). He speaks Serbian and Greek, I'm not sure about the other languages.

Date of experience: May 2017
3  Thank vladimirtomic
Reviewed January 4, 2018

Built by several Allied armies. Serbian part has an Mausoleum with great hero songs written. Ask old George (the keeper) for a translation and the tour.

Date of experience: August 2017