Marcos Beach Hotel
Galaxy Hotel(Milopotas)
Hotel Ios Plage(Milopotas)
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe busboiled eggstoastiescovered seatingappointed roomsstayed weeksisland hoppingpool areasea viewfantastic hostsclean hotelthe local bus servicetea and coffeeelevated positionevery other dayhotel is perfectly situatedios town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 16, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights as part of the Thomas Cook Santorini Island Hopping holiday. This was supposed to be a 3* holiday, but the Marcos beach was only 2* - and it showed.

The positives:
The hotel in general was clean, the view from the room was great and the bar prices were cheap.
The manager did give us a larger room when we asked for a swap.

The rest are negatives:
Breakfast was limited to a choice of Cereals, Bread (and jam), Ham and Cheese, but no eggs! If you wanted more you had to pay for a full English.

No fridge in the room, air con and safety deposit boxes were extra. All supplied gratis in the other hotels that we stayed in. This had the added twist that the hotel kept BOTH keys to the safety deposit box. Fortunately nothing went missing.

To get to the beach, you had to walk down a rocky dried-up riverbed, only just manageable by day but unlit and deadly by night. To get back to the hotel by the road, this means a heart-pounding climb up and down steep hills. Fine if you are young, but when you are over 60.....

There is a lovely pool, with a nice pool bar. It's just that the pool bar shuts at 4:00 pm and re-opens at 8:00 pm, the exact times when you come off the beach and fancy a sundowner!

So our group of travellers are sitting around the pool bar at midnight, having a drink and a chat. Then the manager locked up the bar and told us to leave the glasses behind when we finished! Not once, but every night of our stay.

If you are young and want to party all night and sleep all day then this is the hotel for you, otherwise leave well alone.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank Large_Dave
Reviewed August 25, 2008

As part of our island-hopping trip, I was looking for good value accommodation with a nice pool and a good location. Marcos Beach certainly ticked all those boxes.

The Hotel itself is well located, just off the main road between the Village and Mylopotas Beach. If you are travelling independently and want somewhere easy to get to from the port, then Marcos Beach is it. It is a 5 minute walk from regularly served the bus stop.

The rooms are basic but clean and a good size. Airconditioning was available at 6 Euros per day, which I did not mind paying extra for given the good value price that I had paid for the room. The bathroom had a shower curtain which is a real novelty in Greece. There is no TV or fridge in the room (which I had become rather accustomed to in the earlier stages of my trip), but hey, this is a 2* hotel in Greece and I suppose those are luxuries, not necessities.

The hotel staff were very helpful, with the manager Jackie looking up ferry schedules for me on the internet as just one example of the good service. There is a pool bar with reasonably priced drinks and a limited range of snacks available. The pool area was well maintained and there was never any problem getting a sunlounger at anytime of the day.

I am not a huge fan of traditional Greek breakfasts, but if you're into the whole cheese, ham, cake thing then you'll be ok here. If you're more of an English breakfast fan, you can pay extra for that.

As for the party crowd (of which I am not one!), you wouldn't even know you were on a 'party island'. There were some groups of teenage lads and girls staying here but there was no issues with noise or inconsiderate behaviour. To my surprise, it was possible to have a quiet and 'coupley' holiday on Ios and avoid the drunken kids as there were plenty of nice restaurants around for couples, with the drinking mainly confined to the Village well after my bedtime!

Overall, a good hotel that does what it says on the tin.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank msrx9als
Reviewed August 19, 2008

The person that reviewed this hotel a few posts down clearly does not know anything about hotels and accommodation and quality. Being a Gold SPG and Hyatt Platinum member I have been to several of the worlds finest hotels for both business and leisure and I can guarantee without a shadow of doubt that the best time I have had at any hotel I have visited in the last two years was Markos Beach Hotel! It's now the second year in a row I have stayed at this hotel whilst in Ios and I'm not planning to change next year.

If you are 18-25 this is definitely the hotel you need to be at because no doubt you will meet exceptional people who all gather around the pool and bar area for drinks before heading out to Ios nightlife!

This hotel brings out the essence of what a Greek Holiday should be, and being in a 5 star deluxe hotel where you dont get to know anyone and have no fun its definitely not. The owners of this hotel are wonderful and make your stay extremely pleasurable. You will always find your room clean and your sheets made up and they try their best to satisfy your needs within their means. Enjoy the owners company and the company of their staff and guests throughout your stay and I guarantee it will be unforgettable!

5 Star rating from me for Markos Beach Hotel!!
Nader

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank ghnad
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I have have stayed at this hotel a couple of times before and im sure coming back. First off all the hotel staff is excellent! The rooms are great. They have all the facilities you need to be comfortable and happy. The bar and the swimingpool are open from 11 to 12 midnight and it has free sundbeds aswell. The hotel is only 150 meteres from the beach and its has e beautiful view over Mylopotas bay. The village by night time is amazing! There are a lot of great clubs and bars. We especially went to Blue Note, Slammer bar and Rehab. There are several good resturants at the Mylopotas beach. I recomend Harmony.

• Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank fredrik_87
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We stayed at Marcos Beach hotel end of june 2008 , no sooner did we arrive we asked how to turn the air conditioning on not realizing we were speaking to the manageress JACKIE who then said we had to pay 25 euros for the four night stay we booked which is about £23 total, which we thought was unfair. We were told this was a 3 star hotel, but apparentley it was a 2 star, any way in our hotel room there was no fridge to keep your drinks cold especially when it was 110 degrees, the air conditioning was leaving puddles of water on the balcony that left an awful stale smell which was wafting into our room, the beds were uncomfortable a cheep matress with springs digging into your body leaving it almost impossible to get to sleep. the bar and pool area was very basic, there was no cooked food you could order only ham or cheese baguettes, like somthing you'd buy out the local corner shop, the breakfast was less than basic, horrible wet shinny ham and slices of cheese which had merged into one! the milk was condenced instead of fresh milk, we were given one hand towel each to get a shower with, this tells me the manager was penny pinching and trying to get away with as much as posssible. By the end of our four night stay we'd had enough and were glad to move on, however IOS aint such a bad little village it is quite nice but I would definitley book else where, I think the young kids who stay at MARCOS BEACH RESORT just put up with it becouse they party untill all hours of the night and are hung over and stay in bed all day, this is probably one of the reasons why the manager has got away with it for so long.

• Check in / front desk
marbeach, Owner at Marcos Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2008

I am sorry to hear that these guests were not happy in our Hotel. They had booked an island hopping holiday through a travel ,agent and they were placed with us for four days. Unfortunately they had been promised a 3*** star Hotel on each island. We are only a 2** star Hotel so I can understand that they were dissapointed and not beeing given what they were promised.
I work with many tour operators and only one of them has agreed to have airconditioning including in the price of the room. I would much prefer that all companies included the aircon, but they prefer to keep the basic price of the holiday down and give the guests the option of whether they wish to use the A/C at an extra charge. This is why these guests were charged for the A/C.
Other guests have stayed in this room for much longer and have not complaint about the matress.
I am sorry that they did not enjoy the breakfast, but judging by the amount of cheese and ham we get through, other people do not feel the same.
Once again I just like to say I am sorry that did not enjoy their stay in our Hotel.