“Fantastic views!”
Review of Lighthouse

Ranked #7 of 17 things to do in Akrotiri
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We hired a car and visited the lighthouse... There are lots of fantastic viewpoints on the way with views over the caldera, and it literally does look different as the sun strikes it from different angles.
The lighthouse area itself has some great rock scrambling and views from cliff tops, plus you can walk up the nearby path to the trig point, once again with great views.
Just beware that the parking is extremely limited just under the lighthouse itself and stop in the larger parking place to the right of the road just before you reach it as otherwise you end up doing a twenty-two point turn near to the crumbling cliff top, a bit hairy even when we only had a smart car to manoeuvre!
Would recommend it as part of seeing a bit more of the island and appreciating the views

Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)
All reviews
in 5 reviews
"quad"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I visited lighthouse at daylight.The view is magnificent and you can have some nice pictures ;)
But be carefull with the kids because is very high and rocks are slippering.You should wearing sneakers if you want to have pictures in the edges.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

You have to visit to see the amazing views; this would be a great spot to watch the sunset with a couple of beers!

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have to be upfront...we went in the morning so it wasn't a sunset moment. It was pure jelly knees as I have a fear of open spaces and heights. I read some other comments and no there's not a lot of parking, thank God we had a small car as there's no fence or guard rails between the parking area and the cliff's drop...small trees but that's it.
I wasn't the only one to stay in the parking lot...an Aussie gal stood and waited for her friends and hubby...asking him as he goes around to the lighthouse to leave his wallet and keys.....
I've seen my husband's shots and it's a nice one...we like lighthouses and no, it's a working one supported by the Greek Navy....which is clearly stated on a sign. So no one should expect to toodle about in it or check out the light/view from inside the lighthouse itself.
The view is beautiful and I did go a little closer to the drop to see the water and rocks below. Very clear water, but no way down whatsoever. There's a narrow path around to the front and as another writer said sneakers/trainers are a must. The path---the part I saw, is cleared dirt with large rocks and the drop on one side...maybe a foot's width...far too short for me. From the parking lot I got a couple of good shots and with a good zoom, there was no need for me to go further.
It was a good drive up to it that area, several places to pull well off the road and take more pictures. Just like me and the Aussie gal...if you have a problem with heights and jelly knees (she actually says it, too and I thought I made it up), take it easy!