After 2 months living out of our backpacks, this was a dream come true. We booked for 5 days, and this is now day 8...we still have no plans to move it's that awesome. Here's why you should come:
1) It's right on the beach. The beach is called Sunset Beach for a reason...the sun slides into the sea every night. You can watch it from your hotel room (assuming you've got a view though we don't), the patio bar, or the sand in front of the hotel.
2) Rooms are big compared to other rooms. We're a family and the kids each have a small single bed that can be a sofa during the day. We have our own separate room. There's a kitchenette with a decent sized mini fridge. No microwave though. You can get supplies at the mini-market in the hotel or 10 minutes walk to the INKA supermarket for cheaper fare.
3) Friendly staff both at the front and at the patio bar. Front staff is happy to help you with anything from tour booking to getting an extra pillow. The patio bar is overlooking the sea and has postcard views of the Med. It's open all day to midnight. Beer and food are a bit expensive and not exactly gourmet but the view and the service make up for it. We love to hang here. Best of all , the wireless is strong enough to make it here (I'm literally typing this from a table there sipping on an ice cold Heineken). Beer selection is great.
3) You are outside of Chania, but the bus stop is steps away from the front so you can go into the city anytime you need an urban fix or to see all the museums and sites.
4) There are many good restaurants within walking distance from here. Many are right on the beach, and I mean RIGHT on the beach. One had waves crashing right up to the foundation.
5) It feels like a resort here, but for a fraction of the price. We're on a budget and travelling long term, so we appreciate being able to stay at such a nice place and still not break the bank.
After spending 10 days (and counting) here, we have yet to come across a similar hotel with similar amenities for a reasonable cost. It's the best in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- GOLDEN BAY HOTEL is situated directly on the beautiful, sandy beach of Agii Apostoli. It is located 4km west of the city center of Chania, where one can visit the picturesque, old city around the Venetian harbor, 18km from the airport and 12km from Souda port.The idyllic location of Golden Bay Hotel is perfect for a wide range of activities. Apart from the sea and the park of Agii Apostoli (20 and 200 m respectively), very close to the hotel one will have the opportunity to use water sports facilities, or spend some time playing bowling, football (5x5), mini golf, riding horses or climbing. Within this area there are also car rental agencies while numerous restaurants, bars, cafes and nightclubs can cover all types of tastes regarding entertainment at any time.For those who love nature, day trips to the wonderful beaches of Western Crete, as well as hiking and gorge traversing on Lefka Ori, mountains renowned for their unique, wild beauty, can be a real challenge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Golden Bay Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Bay Suites Chania, Crete - Daratsos