“Service met expectations”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Waitstaff
Prague, Czech Republic
“Service met expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

Like - degustation menu
Dislike - one evening there was very noisy group of guests, maybe the should have for such cases some separate saloon

Visited December 2011

Chadds Ford
“A true star in Martinique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

Le Belem has already had exceptional reviews for its cuisine: they are accurate.
An international cuisine with local accents prepared with French techniques. Not a large but an innovative, varied menu, whose only lesser area is desert. (At least for our choice on the night we were there.) Wine list with bottles of age and prestigious, also plenty of food friendly selections from around the world. Attentive service, with a fairly long pace to the meal. Details singular to Le Belem are the elegant, grand layout - high ceilings, sumptuous decor - tables spaced comfortably apart, and view onto the gardens. If there was one negative, it was the rap techno musak which was quite at odds with the serene setting. An ideal choice for a grand occasion, certainly also an option for a special vacation.

1 Thank LDMS
San Francisco Bay Area
“Problems with the staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2008

My wife and I travel to Martinique for vacations, and we have dined at Le Belem, the restaurant at Cap Est, a couple of times. This past month, we went in person to make reservations, but something went amiss. When we arrived the next night for our meal, Madam Ajax was incredibly abusive from the moment we walked in the door. She informed us that we had no reservation and that we could not be seated, as the restaurant was fully booked. I attempted to find out what the problem was, but she didn't let me complete a sentence as her torrent of abuse towards us continued, as if the lack of reservation was our fault. She referred to us as outisders, since we weren't staying at the hotel. I couldn't believe it. Eventually she told us that the reservation gave our name and the time, but not the date. She told us repeatedly that we could not be seated, and took us to task for the faulty reservation. I tried to see if we could get a reservation for another evening, but she continued her tirade - I have never been subjected to such abuse before.

And then she asked if we would care to start in the bar or the restaurant. I was stunned. I asked her what she meant, because I was confused after her repeated assurances that we could not eat there. She repeated her request - would we care to start in the bar or the restaurant. I stammered the restaurant, and she had a staff person take us down to Le Belem. The maitre d' welcomed us graciously and told us since there was no date, he had reserved a table for us for the whole week, and there was no problem. The restaurant was not full, and we were seated and served. I can't remember the meal after the abuse heaped upon us.

I called the manager of the hotel and complained, but he said if we were seated and served there was no problem. He assured me that Madam Ajax had worked there six years and there were no complaints.

If you are a guest of the hotel, you will receive excellent service from her, but if you are an 'outsider,' be careful around that woman, as there is no consequence for her behavior towards you.

2 Thank Phil995