“Double standard and staff are not firendly”

and 1 more site!
Heritance Ayurveda Maha Gedara
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Beruwala
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We went to the hotel in June with few friends. They have a double standard for guests.

We were couple of Sri Lankans and four foreigners. One of my friend (Sri Lankan), came in shorts and they refused take him in golf cart to the reception. Where as they said they can take others, even though one of us in shorts.

They asked my friend to walk to the reception, simply because he is a Sri Lankan in shorts.

Any guest who are non Sri Lankan welcome in shorts, but not Sri Lankans. It's a Sri Lankan hotel, pathetic!!!

It's really sad, that they treat different people differently.

We raised this issue with hotel staff and front office manager. They weren't very rude. Rather than admitting there is a issue, they tried to defend their action.

So we have decided to walk out of that place.

Hope they managment rectify these unacceptable policies.

Room Tip: It seems Sri Lankan are not welcome there.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
16  Thank iV0yager
Heritance Ayurv... M, General Manager at Heritance Ayurveda Maha Gedara, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

It is very sad to notice that you have had a bad impression, when on a short visit to our hotel. Since this is a totally ayurveda hotel we have some restrictions, which is a standard for all guests, and we apologize profoundly if you have felt that there are double standards. We will make changes where necessary and take measures to ensure that, this never happens again. We appreciate you taking the time to write to us, pointing out our mistake and assisting us to serve our guests better. If you would like to grace us with another visit, you are most welcome.

Thanking You

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Exhausted and broken after taking care of my sick dog for 8 months, I wanted a holistic break in the sun and after hours of internet searching i finally settled upon this hotel but was unsure as to whether it was the right choice right up until the moment i arrived. Upon arrival my indecision and anxieties melted away and garlanded with frangipani I walked to my simple but lovely large bedroom with a fabulous view of the pool, gardens and the rough stormy monsoon fueled Indian Ocean. The hotel is simple but clean as a whistle and staff could not be nicer! The gardens are wonderful and giant monitor lizards who wander around are wonderful. the bird life is amazing and the pool just perfect. I was unable to swim as the sea was v rough owing to the monsoon but after 3 days of mad non stop rain the sun came out on day four and everything looked wonderful. Food was nice, not amazing but acceptalbe considering this was a health retreat. There was plenty of choice and actually i didnt crave coffee or sweets as I imagined I would but I did crave a beer in the eves when chilling and chatting to the other residents.
There were only 25 of the 60 rooms occupied when I was there and everyone was German except me as the bulk of their visitors tend to be German.
As for the serious stuff, the yoga and the ayurvedic treatments! Well the yoga classes were good, reasonably gentle but enough to still feel that you had worked out a bit. They were a wonderful way to wake up at 7am every morning and the yoga hall was lovely light and bright and open to elements at the side so bird song was everywhere. There is also another stunning beautiful floating yoga pavilion inside the treatment centre which I used to practice in and had it to myself every thing........this was bliss.

The treatments were at least 4 hours every day and often more. We had a team of 7 therapists work on each person - 4 girls and 3 boys in my case and I can honestly say that despite the detox from caffeine (days 1-3) and the achy legs that I experienced on day 4, that it was a wonderful seven days. the accupuncture has almost cured a frozen shoulder that had been bothering me for 2 years and I felt calm and unstressed for the 1st time in years. The team of doctors led my the wonderful kind and gentle Dr Nalinda were very special and his lectures were inspiring and very funny. 7 days was really too short and most people seem to stay 2 or 3 weeks to get the full benefits of the ayurvedic system and I really wish I could have stayed longer.

Maha Gedera is a very special place where they do very special healing work. It doesnt feel like a chi chi health spa it feels like a place of peace and healing. The medicines are not terribly pleasant but I was able to get them down and I not good at drinking smelly things nor swallowing lots of pills but I did it and have been home for 3 weeks now and am still taking some and I continue to feel calm and centred and am continuing with my yoga practice,

oh and a final tip for visitors who like jewellery, besides buying new pieces, bring some old gold that you dont wear anymore and take it to the village and they will melt it down and re model it to you spec, chose some fab Sri lankan rubies or sapphires and come home with brand new jewellery made from your old bits!

Room Tip: the corner suites are lovely and large and have TV's if you want the outside world to intrude on...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank rosiemrh
Heritance Ayurv... M, General Manager at Heritance Ayurveda Maha Gedara, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

We are glad to know that your stay with us has been fruitful and enjoyable and thank you very much for spending your valuable time on commenting on tripadvisor. We are very glad and proud to see that our staff and the entire management process has met with your approval and made a change in your life. This is very heartwarming and encouraging to us. We look forward to your next visit, for a chance to serve you better.

The Management

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My friend, Kim, and I had an amazing stay at the Heritance Ayurveda resort. The staff went above and beyond to answer all of our questions and make us feel comfortable. The accommodations were top notch, especially the Ayurveda center; a relaxing oasis set among rippling water, lily pads and flowers providing a schedule of refreshing and unique treatments tailored to the dosha of each guest. I will tell all my friends about this once in a lifetime experience and hope to return soon. Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lauren K

Dear Sir / Madam,

We are glad to know that your stay with us has been fruitful and enjoyable and thank you very much for spending your valuable time on commenting on tripadvisor. We look forward to your next visit, for an another opportunity to serve you better.

The Management

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Generally it's a good hotel and serves it's purpose. The atmosphere is relaxed, the rooms renovated and clean, the food is good, the treatments very well organised and the doctors nice and attentive (although you have to realise that you're not getting a serious health treatment but rather a bit of a casual fix to your body and mind). The beach next to the hotel is beautiful especially at sunset. You will have to deal with a couple of pushy locals out there but it's nothing one cannot handle. Just 2 remarks that I would like to make to the hotel management - a moldy smell in the room (although not sure it can be dealt with in this kind of humidity) and the staff that is pushing you for tips just too hard. I have stayed in many hotels in many countries and I'm not greedy for the tips either but I don't think I felt so much pressure to tip anywhere (including a hotel I stayed in Colombo). Still I would like to thank Heritance Ayurveda for a nice stay, it's no doubt one of the best hotels to go for an ayurvedic treatment on Sri Lanka and I would chose it for this purpose again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank adoros
Heritance Ayurv... M, General Manager at Heritance Ayurveda Maha Gedara, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Madam,

We apologize most profoundly for the the delay in replying your comments on tripadvisor. We are however very grateful to you for spending your valuable time to make these comments and observations.

Your appreciation of the hotel premisses, it's service and friendliness of staff is a source of great encouragement to us. Please be assured that appropriate action has been taken for the suggestions made by you to improve our services.

We hope you will visit us again soon, to enable us to serve your better.

Thanking you,

Heritance Ayurveda Maha Gedara

Reviewed April 18, 2013

For Sri Lankan standards it is clearly a luxury hotel - concerning international standards they are
missing a lot.

The rooms are nice and fairly clean. A big disadvantage is the fact that you hear every noise coming from the corridor and you will miss amenities like slippers or pantys that you can wear during your oily treatments. I had to take mine and throw them away....

The pool is also nice but nothing special. On hot days it will not cool down, so you feel like being in a bathtub. Unfortunately the ocean -which is very close- is pretty unsafe because of
strong undercurrents.

A nice surprise was the variety of currys -at least in the beginning of my stay. After a while you find out that they repeat a lot. Also the choice of fruits was poor.

The Ayurveda Centre is about 50m away from the main building. It is nice and neat. Single cabins -former hotel rooms- are situated around courtyards with lily ponds. Every cabin also has a little garden with a little pond and a bathtub outside.
Some cabins need a renovation, especially the bathrooms.

My first consultation was very interesting. Unfortunately you do not see the doctor every day, which is different to other "real" ayurvedic resorts. You also do not get any information about what you are allowed to eat. You know your doshas but that´s it. At the end of your stay -quite silly- you will get a list of what you are allowed to eat and you will find that you made quite a lot of mistakes with your choices at the daily buffets.
During your stay you will not get a lot of information about ayurveda.
They have a weekly doctors lecture which is very interesting and a cooking show which is extremly boring. No cooking courses, no books - nothing that really gives you some information on ayurveda.

One of their major problems -beside the fact that the whole staff is not really speaking english-
is the fact that they don´t use computers but handwritten lists - even at the reception which is absolutely ridiculous. So very often things will be forgotten.
I e.g. asked 5 times for a certain therapist...I did not get. They are all very polite and nice but they are terribly unorganized in a lot of ways.
You never have the feeling that things or persons are supervised. The management does not appear at all. Especially at the end I desperately missed just somebody in a key position who had ever worked in an international hotel.

Another major problem is tips. Some of the therapists and often the housekeeping staff are openly begging for money-which is extremely nerve-wracking. There is no advice given by the -not existing- management. So in order to have some peace I paid a huge amount for tips.

Since they do more wellness than real ayurveda it is not understandable why they do not offer internet on the rooms. You can only have an tiring slow internet in the lobby or restaurant.

The Heritance has a severe lack of organization, flexibility and innovative thinking - they absolutely have to work on it because you pay european prices for a service you only get partially

Another problem of the Heritance is the fact that next to it an enormously ugly hotel with 500 rooms -far to big for the beach- is planned. They will get in trouble by that.

If you like the charm of the unperfekt this is all nice, if you look for a professionally run hotel you are wrong. Sri Lanka very much has the problem that because there is no competition with good international hotels they act quite dilettantish sometimes.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
13  Thank ThinkPink611

Dear Sir / Madam,

We apologize most profoundly for the the delay in replying your comments on tripadvisor. We are however very grateful to you for spending your valuable time to make these observations and inform us of our shortcomings. The experience you have gained in your travels, has benefited us, because this has made you observant to our shortcomings. This is greatly appreciated and we have taken great care to handle each of your comments individually and take corrective measures where possible. We thank you once again, for sharing this information with us and assisting us to upgrade our services for future guests. Since we have taken measures to do our utmost to address these areas pointed out by you, we hope that you will visit us in the future to witness these improvements which are a result of your suggestions and comments..
Thank You.
Heritance Ayurveda Maha_Gedara
Sri Lanka

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Heritance Ayurveda Maha Gedara is a unique place. Not a spa, not a hospital and not an hotel. It is a centre with positive energy, calmness and beauty. It takes care of your body, mind and soul. The staff is very kind and attentive. The treatments were heaven, every day 2 hours of treatments suited for your own needs. The doctors and the therapists manage the treatments and all you need to do is show up at the right time and leave yourself in their hands. I really enjoyed. The Yoga teacher in the early mornings was very good. He was calm and gentle. His explanations were very clear. The food was very delicious and healthy. Each meal is freshly cooked and there was a lot of variation. Drinking herbal tea all the day long was quite easy because he was very very good. It was strange the first day not to have coffee, coke or a cappuccino, but I didn’t miss it. The kitchen staff is very good and they are happy if you are happy .
Every evening we had a beautiful sunset and in the morning having a walk on the beach was like heaven. It is a wonderful place to destress in a beautiful setting. One of the best experiences during our stay in an Ayurvedic resort/hotel. You have to try it yourself!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Marc1560

Dear Sir / Madam,

We are greatly encouraged by your positive comments and this makes the entire staff and Management team strive.

We appreciate your detailed description of our facilities and look forward for your next visit for a chance to serve you better.

Thanking you and best wishes

Reviewed October 5, 2012

You could and still can get some good cheap package deals to this hotel.It has had an uplift in decor etc - it had saggy mattresses last time we went and aged colonial furniture. However some things remain the same- the food is not of a very good quality and we found we continued to eat out a lot. The staff are just as friendly but even friendlier if they are given a tip-last time it got so monotonous and especially when they know you are leaving, this time it wasn't as bad. Maybe last time they were more keen on trying to get money from you because last time was the time nearer the devastating tsunami. The hotel is kept reasonably clean and there are lovely touches like scattering petals on your bedding and bath, or making up flower displays- this is always evident when someone is celebrating a birthday etc.
There are still the two sections to the hotel, the former Ayurvedic area is mainly the same and you can wander around both areas no problems. The pool is medium in size and somtimes there are a lack of loungers.The beach is fine for walking along and there are a couple of streets of stalls along the sand where you can buy materials and have them tailored to suit your tastes.If you show the seamstress a picture of what you want they are quick at copying it for you.
It is in quite a good location to further explore the island- Sigiriya is fab, Kandy, Temple of the tooth- so much gold, Dambulla, the Cave paintings are awesome- but again be aware that there may be beggars along the return road wanting you to part with some cash...
Sri Lanka has many off the beaten path sights- DO visit Brief Gardens inland- and say hello to Dan - his family ahve taken over the running of the gardens after the owner's death- a very special place to visit. Do get to see the wonderful countryside further south- that way you will relaise that there are places of solitude. I didn't think much to Columbo- it seems to go on for miles and miles without any differens- the centre of the city is probably the most exciting with its colonial buildings and museums- but the shacks and endless streets of much of the sameness is rather tiresome.
Sri Lanka has many lovely people it also has many locals who just want to get as much money out of you as possible and it was this that put us off returning again.- You may find it completely different though !

Room Tip: Judge for yourself the Ayurvedic rooms are superior.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Rebecca M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beruwala
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
#1 of 2 in Ahungalla
Arena Hotel
Arena Hotel
#3 of 11 in Beruwala

Been to Heritance Ayurveda Maha Gedara? Share your experiences!