“Eden - a true taste of paradise!”
Review of Eden Resort & Spa

Eden Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Beruwala
Reviewed December 10, 2009

We visited Sri Lanka for our wedding & honeymoon staying at The Eden Resort & Spa hotel in Beruwela. Have read the review posted by Nikki & Shaun on 16 Oct '09, with whom we shared many a cocktail & totally concur with everything they wrote.

For us everything was spot on; I recommend flying direct-ish (via the Maldives) with Sri Lankan Airlines - economy was not as plush as the same standard on Singapore Airlines but then it's not as expensive & the 12 hours night flight from LHR helps to avoid jet lag. The journey from the airport to Beruwela was long, over 2 & half hours due to Colombo's continuous rush-hour but we knew to expect that from other reviews and the holiday brochure.
On arrival at the hotel, check-in was efficient & quick and we were given wonderful refreshing fruit cocktails before being taken to our Paradise room by Anton the butler. We upgraded rooms on booking & took the HB option with Virgin Holidays due to to our wedding & stayed in room 302. It was superb - just like the brochure pictures & the view from our balcony looking out over the pool to the Indian Ocean was wonderful.

With a Paradise room you have butler service at your beck & call, a pillow menu, large bar with a fridge & coffee machine, tv & dvd player, canapes & fresh squeezed juice every evening about 6pm. The bathroom has twin vanity units, bath and seperate shower. There are also sliding louvred doors between the bedroom & bathroom - it's intimate - not for the shy!

The hotel amenities were great - quiet & relaxing - the pool with it's swim up bar was lovely, the spa provided some good pamper packages - our massages, facials etc were free as part of the wedding package. The is a well equiped gym and games room which we used regularly during our stay. There are some shops in the hotel but they seemed expensive in comparison to the local ones outside. The are 3 restaurants & the 2 bars also serve great meals too! The main restaurant is self service. Both breakfasts & dinners were great, always with a huge choice of meals to try whether you want European or Asian food. The range of Sri Lankan curries was brilliant.
Although we went did HB - it isn't necessary - next time we'll go B&B.
The hotel gardens are not large but this gives a nice ambience in which to sunbathe & relax. The Tsunami memoriable stone & yellow ribbon tied around the palm tree showing the water height when the disaster struck is a moving feature. Every evening there is some entertainment either a live band, fire dancers or a cultural show.

Our wedding was organised by the wonderful Janaki. We upgraded to the gold package. Nothing was left to chance, my flowers & the photogragher were fab, the style of the ceremony was Sri Lankan. It's not a quiet affair & not for the faint hearted as both the bride & groom are lead to the ceremonial dias by Kandyan dancers & drummers. Wonderfully different & we "went away" to the beach on an elephant!
In the evening we had a fantastic 5 course meal in the garden from the Temptations restaurant. The following day the hotel organised a boat trip up the Bentota Ganga which was great, visited the magroves and my husband held a baby croc too!

While walking on the beach we met Pradeep Kumara (Patte) - suppose he's classed as a beach boy but has been working, organising tours for more than 12 years & is registered with the Sri Lankan tourist board. We did a 2 day trip with him visiting rubber & pineapple plantations, the Pinnewela Elephant Orphanage, a spice garden, a wood carving centre, the Royal Botanical Gardens, a culture show & Temple of the Tooth & 1 night D,B&B at the Suisse Residence Hotel in Kandy. On day 2 we visited & tasted tea at the Mackwood tea plantation near Nuwara Eliya (Little Britain) & saw many waterfalls in the Highlands & stopped for dinner near the location of the film shoot for the "Bridge on the River Kwai". A full 2 day tour in an air-conditioned minibus including all entrance fees for less than £90 per person.
We visited Aluthgama with Patte in his tuk-tuk to see the local shops. On another evening a friend Lucky took us to the Kosgoda turtle conservation centre - very worth-while - we didn't release any turtles as a donation seemed more appropriate.
While in Beruwela we had some clothes made by Sugi. Her shop is 20m from the Eden's gates. She speaks fluent English & German & is a wonderful seamstress.
The beach sellers can be annoying but a firm "No thank you" usually works. Wilson the shellman can make some truely unique souvenirs.

I'm saddened to read how many people slate Sri Lanka & this hotel - For us everything was spot on.
Please remember when booking Sri Lanka is NOT the Carribean - it is a third world country desperately trying to get back on it's feet following years of civil war and a tsunami which when you actually see what happened to this island paradise & the losses they suffered should make the average westerner feel very humble with the safe lives we take for granted.

The whole holiday was awesome & like Shaun & Nikki, we are still raving about it and hoping to visit again soon!
Kat & Nick.x

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Kat35
Write a ReviewReviews (1,679)

Reviewed December 7, 2009

I stayed for four days in December 2009 in a deluxe room at $175 per night, bed and breakfast. At that price, one expects a certain standard from a hotel. The room itself was comfortable and well-appointed, so no complaints there. I asked housekeeping for a Nokia charger, shortly after arriving, and they were unable to oblige, which I thought strange, considering the 'butler service' promised for deluxe room occupants. Luckily I had a spare mobile with me.

The butler changed several times over the four-day stay and so I had to tip them all. (One felt from their demeanour that it was expected, as it is everywhere in Sri Lanka) Tipping one person is no problem, and I like to tip when the service is good, but tipping four or five attendants?)

Breakfast in the dining room was crowded and cramped, and I thought the quality of food was uneven. The scrambled eggs were good - though on one occasion cold - but other parts disappointed, such as the doughy pastries. The tea, I must say, was good., and the service was friendly throughout my stay.

My sleep was disturbed late the first evening and early in the morning by some families nearby with small children whom they didn't bother to keep quiet, and indeed some of the adults were shouting at 8 am. In the morning I asked to be moved but there were no rooms available; indeed the hotel seems fairly busy and popular. Luckily the families checked out the same day, but imagine if they hadn't! It seems more of a hotel for families than otherwise, in fact. No peace and quiet can be guaranteed if you are unlucky, so be warned.

I had no laptop with me and when I tried to use the one computer on offer at the hotel, I couldn't access my email account and the connection was slow. This happened two days running, so I gave up on email while I was there.

The ambiance of the hotel is rather package tour-ish and much more 3 star than 5 star. You definitely had the impression that other guests had paid a lot less and were having the 'all-inclusive' option. The expensive lamb and beef dishes sold as being from New Zealand were tough, tasteless and came from much nearer home. Not good. In fact the only room service meal I enjoyed, and I ate in my room each evening, was the crab curry, which was very tasty. The next night I had beef curry and had to leave it almost untouched. When I mentioned the discrepancy to the roomboy he suggested the reason was a different chef - it probably was the reason, but the prices didn't change with the quality of the cooking. The pizza was a disaster - don't think of ordering it.

The one morning I had breakfast in my room, the 'freshly-squeezed orange juice' promised on the menu was 'Tang'! The beef bacon was tough and unappetizing, and the pastry basket consisted of soft toast and muffins - nary a croissant or danish in sight. A poor show for what purports to be a 5 star hotel. Friendly service can't make up for all shortcomings, and I feel the manager has a lot to answer for, especially when it comes to quality of food.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank tonyinabudhabi
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Came back for the second time to Eden.

Eden is not a five star hotel - but then again Sri Lanka is still a very poor third world country so don't expect middle Eastern glitz! Eden is a very friendly place where the staff are more than happy to do anything for you. Of course they are doing this for money - wouldn't you if your salary was £40 a month and you had a family to support. But who cares why when they appear to be genuinely pleased to see you. The General Manager Tilak will go out of his way for you, as will his deputy. We haven't had such a great welcome or service in most of the hotels that we have stayed in in the in the first world. Eden rooms are pretty basic - but ok. Superior rooms upwards are lovely - and the penthouses are just gorgeous (but very exoensive for what they are).

Nightlife is pants unless you are fond of bands covering old 80's songs. Most of the visitors are from the UK. Germany, Russia and the Middle East (bit sad wearing a black outfit covering you from head to toe when your husband is walking around in a pair of shorts and having a lovely dip in the pool) and behave themselves - but there is a French tour group who come in one a week who get pretty loud and drunk - and I thought that it was us Brits who misbehave on holiday!

Went with Hayes and Jarvis this time and got a very good result on price compared to a lot of other guests who seemed to have paid hundreds more. And don't bother with all inclusive unless you are an extremely heavy drinker (you will probably be out of the hotel for at least a few days if you go on trips). Go b&b - the breakfasts are lovely and there is a huge choice of food. It is dirt cheap to eat and drink out but the hotel is expensive for Sri Lanka - albeit not for the UK. Prices are £10 for a massive buffet dinner ( but if you just want rice and curry in the cafe it's only £3), £4 for a large bottle of beer, £4 for a cocktail. Get a tuk tuk to the Golden Grill in Bentota (highest cost is around £3 return) for a feast of seafood or curry. this restaurant is is so cheap its incredible! Again, not a Michelin starred place but lovely food served by really nice staff - and a very friendly owner. The Maharajah bar (out of the hotel turn left on the beach) is a nice rickety old place that sells beer for £2. I didn't fancy eating there so can't comment on their food but great views from upstairs. Ayuvedic treatments are half of the hotel price in the building next to the Maharajah.

Don't worry about the beach-boys - they will bother you at first but just tell them that you don't want anything - and then walk in the sea as they hate getting their feet wet.

One warning - get a direct flight. Some of the other people there had 'upgraded' to flights that had 5 hour stopovers in the Middle East. You will definitely be jet-lagged if you do this. Sri Lankan airlines are not up to BA or Virgin standards but the direct flights more than makes up for this.

Don't bother with the organised tours that the rep tries to sell you. You will be on a minibus with other people you don't know and on a set itinerary. It is far cheaper to ask the hotel to sort it out for you - and less worry than using the beach-boys who seem to be wonderful (but still cost the same as the hotel car - and are they insured???). You get your own car - or minibus if there are loads of you, fluent English speaking driver and you can specify your own itinerary. Whoever you use they will try to take you to shops where they get a 'kickback'. if you don't want to go then just tell them and they will be ok. Remember that Beruwela is a long way from anywhere - so you will be in the car on pretty rough roads for a long time so do a bit of research before you go.

There are some really lovely shops in Galle and Colombo where they don't sell the usual old touristy tat - too many to list here but try Odel (Department Store) Elephant Road, Barefoot and Paradise Road. All of these are fixed price - so no haggling. Again do some research before you go - saves traipsing around dodgy shops.

if you are getting married there remember it is very, very hot and humid - so husbands to be will be boiled to death in a suit and brides will struggle with heavy dresses. You will both be (separately) escorted by dancers and singers from the bar, down the side of the swimming pool and across the grass to the place that is designated for weddings. Everybody who is sunbathing will be looking at you - and coming over to the place where the wedding takes place so if you are shy then ask one of the Middle Eastern ladies if you can borrow a couple of their outfits! Also be careful wearing heels as you'll be walking by the pool and may sink into the grass (it rains alot and the ground is soft).

Would we go back?? Probably yes if we go back to Sri Lanka yet again! if you need anything else just contact me through Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AnnieB01
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I stayed at Eden resort in November. The first thing to say is that I had a lovely lovely holiday but I feel there are a few things that I need to comment on.

On arrival the reception is lovely and big and there is a wonderful smell of cinnamon wafting around. Reception staff were always very polite and extremely helpful. The bell boy who took my luggage to my room was quite happy to tell me though that he wouldnt accept my tip as it wasn't enough. I couldn't quite believe that ,as asking around I had given the same amount as other guests. I felt the hotel was trying to be something it wasn't.

I stayed in an Eden room on the 3rd floor. I did consider upgrading before I went but as I was staying in a 4 -5 star I felt even the basic rooms should be good. The room was spacious, light and airy although smelt terribly damp. I kept the AC on all the time and that hid the smell - although in bed even the sheets and pillows smelt damp too. I was disappointed that the room boys were always very late coming to clean - usually late afternoon when they arrived and I didn't get any flowers on my bed/ towels in animal shapes etc as I have in other hotels in Sri Lanka. Maybe I was unlucky I think its always a nice touch.

My main issue is with the restaurant - I found it quite dirty at times especially the floor and the windows were splattered with food. I had to move tables once as there were so many flies. The chair pads are all stained as well. At breakfast there was a great choice although only 1 guy doing tea and coffee meant you often had to wait a while to be served. I found dinner to be chaotic - it was always a buffet with different themes. Again a good choice of food and always some Sri Lankan dishes but when the hotel was full it felt like a canteen. I really didnt like it. I found the drinks service generally quite slow as well.

The pool area is great and the pool bar - the boys working there are fantastic. Everyone tends to sunbathe in the garden but I felt the gardens were quite small for the size of hotel - again when the hotel was busy it felt like people were really crowded together.

The hotel spa is gorgeous, when you are having a treatment all you can hear is the sound of water and it is so relaxing. They also have emlpoyed a couple of Thai therapists - Kanita gave me a couple of Thai massages and they were great - I'd really recommend her.

The hotel is definitely not a 5 star - in all honesty I would put it at a good 3 star. I would consider staying again but I think I would have to upgrade my room and go Bed and Breakfast. I would go back to Sri Lanka in a heartbeat but in all honesty I probably would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Barney019
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We travelled to Sri Lanka for our wedding and were advised about the hotels in the area, we chose the Club Palm Gardens and made the wrong choice. Well we moved to this hotel from the Club Palm Gardens, the CPG was classed as a 3 star (more like a 1/2) this hotel is classed as a 5 star (more like a 4). However after only 1 night in CPG this hotel was what I expected I would be staying in.
A warm welcome in reception with local juice and cool flannel. Our wedding coordinator Imesha was amazing. She knew my wife to be was upset with our previous hotel and supported us throughout. She made our special day that little bit better.
The hotel is very clean and the food is varied and tasty and the staff could not do enough for you. Our room on the top floor gave us a great view of the pool and sea and the rain and clouds, lol!!!!!!
The entertainment on the night was to our liking, local live bands plus the odd live show, dancers etc.
The highlight for us was the wedding day which was fantastic, once again the staff were superb, just a tip if you are getting married get the dancers and drummers.
We met some fantastic people whilst there so thansk to you all Jim and Hannah, Jim and Izzy, Phil and Julie and especially Ross and Angela plus the many others.
The two negatives were the weather which was lots of cloud and rain, I know you cannot do anything about that. The other was the pestering by people when you left the hotel, the beach boys left you alone after a polite No but on the street it was a pain to such a degree we didnt go into the shops due to the persistent hassle, pity as we wanted to buy things to bring back.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2009

myself and other half stayed here from 9th nov for one week and had a great stay. our room was on 1st floor and was spotless room boy came in twice a day always leaving towel sculptures(a swan,fish,elephant,frog etc) using lemon grass for elephant trunk to hold, different size petals for bubbles from fish mouth great attention to detail. no bugs or ants in our room over the week.we used to stand on our balcony and watch the chipmunks doing there stuff running laps around the pool bar, trees and balconies. staff all really friendly and polite couldnt do enough for us.not much to do outside of hotel at night but found restaurant/bar called ayesha 5 min walk away(turn right at main road about 200yds up on left sid eof road) restaurant is beside river and food is good drink half the hotel price even had newcastle brown ale! they have a seperate bar upstairs with free pool table and all tv channels if your missing your sport! very clean and air con staff here also great.we also walked into alutgama a few times(20 mins to centre) caught local train from railway station to galle cost 90p each way or could buy 3rd class ticket for 50p each way,not bad for 90min trip each way,did trip to pinnawala sorted by simon one of beach boys working from maharajah bar on beach(left out of gate 150yds)and was great day,lovely air con nissan car and simon came with us to show us around.long drive though(3.5hrs each way) but well worth it. you can also stay overnight and do kandy etc but we had done all that on previous visits,cost us £110 for the 2 of us for whole day. far to much to write in one go but any questions feel free to ask. definately going back again

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank george p
Reviewed November 14, 2009

arrived in colombo stayed at Hilton, do not expect 5 star to mean 5 star, stayed two nights moved to beruwela to the eden resort not happy on arrival with the rooms allocated but we were all upgraded much better rooms. Service good meals good plenty of choice place a little run down but understandable due to the circumstances interesting place to visit and can recommend using Mendis [--] email [--] for organising days out and visits nothing was too much trouble and planned the day around what you wanted to do and see we used him a few times whilst we were there. down side you could not walk the beach without being shadowed ALL the time by the touts and sometimes even after the tenth NO THANK YOU it got a bit too much not too bad been to worse places but sometimes it would have been nice to just have a peaceful walk. overall enjoyed the holiday and would go back to sri lanka with no problems. people were friendly and we all enjoyed the holiday.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank tay4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beruwala
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
#7 of 11 in Beruwala
Royal Palms Beach Hotel
Royal Palms Beach Hotel
#3 of 11 in Kalutara

Been to Eden Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!