“One of the best”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beruwala
Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Beruwala
“One of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

It's one of the top 10 resorts when i googled with "yoga retreat". And very reasonable price for the low season. Response from the resort was quick when i sent out enquiry. Very limited numbers of room with air conditioner. However, when i stay in a standard room without air conditioner, i am very appreciated to the resort insisting on offering me this low price room at the ever beginning. The temperature is nice all day long even at the noon time with sun. Wind breeze all the time. My room number is 128. Easy to go any where. Yoga hall is right above with a few stairs from a close corner. The stairs to the Health Center is 3 meters from my room, too. So perfect location when i only waring a piece of cloth for the daily treatment. Although the balcony is not at the sea front, sound of the sea is just right there, not too low not too loud.
It's a small and very quiet resort. Only one kid shows up at the 5th day. Ayurbeda is the major theme here plus Yoga and TaiJi Class. No meat neither alcohol except fish. The website of this resort provides very detail information about this medical system.
In short, if you are looking for fun or luxury, it's not the place. If you would like to give yourself a break in a peaceful environment, here it is.
Must bring:
Mosquito preventers like spray, patch, etc. Don't worry about the sleeping time. There is a net for the bed. Out of the bed, it's all on your own.
Sandals. It's extremely clean here. Local people get of their shoes before entering a room. It will make you look dumb not respecting that or wasting time on get in & out your shoes.
Travel size of shampoo & conditioners. The regular treatment make your hair full of oil while the water pressure is very weak in the room ( this is my only complain to the resort). So if you have long hair, wash them in the health center after the "garden session" will be better.
Another Sandals which could prevent slipping if you want to walk on the reef.
Sun Block. Of course.
A or some books you want to read but never have time / peaceful mind for them when you are home. There is a library here, but it might not have what you want.
If you are not very good at English, prepare a list to describe your concern to your health condition. Learn some words used in medical check. The doctor here will interview you at the first day and some days after as follow up.
Small changes for tip. Although everything is included in the package here, you could help local peoples by showing gratitude to their good services.
Must Do:
Read the instructions available in the Health Center Hall before you take those special treatments . It seems the doctors and therapists are not good at giving information.
You will like this resort. Enjoy.

Room Tip: A/C is not necessary actually.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank JackieXian
DorotheaBarberyn, Manager at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Jackie
Many thanks for taking the time to write a detailed review of Barberyn Reef. It is helpful to note that you felt cool enough without air conditioning. We do not encourage air conditioning for Ayurveda treatment as the doctors advise maintaining a constant, warm temperature whilst taking treatments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.
Kindest regards, Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Amazing ayurendic retreat. The staff are all lovely and your days at packed full of treatments, yoga, amazing meals and optional trips during the week. You get to see the Ayurvedic doctor many times so its great of you want to cure specific health problems or just de-stress.
Garden rooms are best for solo travellers. Beach huts if your staying with someone, personally wouldn't want to stay there on my own as they lead directly to the open beach.
Food was great. Pick up from the airport was great. Yoga everyday at 6.30 was great and all a few beginner yoga sessions in the afternoon.
Not much else to do in the area at all. When you go on the beach you are harassed by people selling things or wanting to drive you somewhere, very annoying!

Room Tip: Definitely worth the extra to upgrade from the standard room, get a garden or beach room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MGDXB
DorotheaBarberyn, Manager at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Maddie
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your time at Barberyn, we really appreciate it. I am sorry that you found the beach an annoyance hopefully you were able to peacefully relax inside the resort far from the madding crowd!
Kindest regards, Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a very good stay at this hotel. They pick you up and drop you off at the airport which is great since it is quite far. Staff was very friendly and the treatments were great. Make sure to request a room with AC!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JRBNYC1113
Many thanks for your review of the resort. I am really happy that the transfer was a success. We are really keen to offer this service as almost all our visitors come from a long way away so are in need of TLC on arrival at the airport!
Many thanks indeed, Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts, Sri Lanka.
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

It is true because you can feel like princess. You can get with one jump from busy life to the armful beautiful nature. The staff at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda has plenty of people, so you needn’t wait for every prescribed treatment or in the restaurant , but only shortly to see a doctor if you don’t arrange an appointment in advance. So they all give you a lot of attention always with a smile on face and are prepared to help you.
First of all I would like to give the most thanks to all staff, specially to doctor Mrs. Anuradha, all therapists, cooks and waiters, room chambermaids ( there were boys who doing cleaning room perfectly and tactfully out of our eyes twice a day ) , pool attendants and porters for unbelievably comfortable stay in Ayurveda resort.
I was prepared for the long journey by airplane Sri Lanka South West coast of Indian ocean about 85 km from the airport, so the taxi driver arranged by hotel waited for us at the airport. He gave to each of us a bag with bottled water and pad. Ride to Barberyn resort took about 2 hours. It was the first attention that service of Barberyn Ayurveda resort begun to give us and so it was during our whole stay.
What I didn’t expect was loosing my luggage probably caused by Berlin airport that send it to Portugal. So I had limited possibilities five days especially with swimming because I couldn’t get swim suit in locals shop.
We were welcomed with a beautiful exotic flower and a glass of fresh fruit juice at the reception area. After check in and accommodating, the doctor welcomed us for medical consultation. She gave us healing program and daily menu. I am retired and my daughter is a young women and prescribed treatments were quite similar. I think every spa guest of Auyrveda centre has the same treatments which the centre provides. There is acupuncture, synchronic body massage (after massage you are offered with special herbal tea and medicine ), herbal or steam bath and of course relaxing in the garden wrapping with a healing warming mud on the problematic place on our body. Most of the guests had also prescribed old special native treatment called SHIRODHARA to cure diseases connected with head, neck, eyes, ears, nose, throat and nervous system. It is a procedure in which a continuous stream of medicated oil falling on the center of the forehead from the clay pot which hangs above head.
Apart from these treatments you have prescribed daily time table for using herbal medicine several time a day from early morning to the evening after dinner in the form pills, powder and syrup after lunch and dinner.
Praiseworthy are doctors advices for your life style before leaving Ayurveda centre and you have to incorporate in to real life and work. According to Auyrveda people are divide into three body types depending on outer signs, character, metabolism, react etc. There are KAPHA, PITHA and VATHA and the doctor give you advices according to your type of body which food ( vegetable, fruit, meat, fish ) are available for you and on the contrary which food you should avoid.
Complementary services were meditation, yoga, tai-chi, cooks and herbal remedies presentation, evening education. Communicative language with doctor and therapist is German and English (and if you are not capable in this language, I can recommend to prepare shortly written medical history in advance for a doctor, how I did it.)
About magic nature and sea, organized trips to the surroundings, delicious and great choice of food, accommodation has been already described by other guest so I will not write about this.
Before travelling to Sri Lanka many people have questions about vaccination. I was always afraid of vaccination, because it is a huge intervention into immune system. Now I am sure that vaccination is not needed when travelling to Barberyn Reef Ayurveda centre . Only mosquitos were sometimes annoying , but not that bad considering we were travelling during monsoon season, also we had our windows all the time open.
We had a pot jug that we brought three time to restaurant and cooks fill them with boiled water for drinking and washing teeth. The tables of the restaurant were set clean ( cooks chanced colourfull tablecloth twice a day) and perfectly with lantern on the table. The pleasant atmosphere during eating created life music.
Meals were offered for all taste, so nobody didn’t buy something for eat and drink outside the resort. Only what was missed was meat, but all food was so delicious, that nobody remembered on it. Fish was offered every day. Also coffee and alcohol was not offered.
I am writing this report shortly after arriving home, having my pleasant memories and full of physical and emotional power and hope that people who consider about holiday at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda centre got some new information and of course I wanted to say thanks to all staff at this Ayurveda health centre.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Biaca D
Dear Biaca
Thank you for such a comprehensive review of your time at the resort. It is very helpful to others who will know exactly what they can expect from their stay and we really appreciate it.
We hope you will come again soon so that we can welcome you back to Sri Lanka!
Bradwell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Much to my dismay, my wife wanted to go to this Ayurvedic 'hospital' as my gift to her for a special birthday. As a confirmed carnivore used to more than the occasional beer, here we were heading I to a world of abstinence, for me at least. What a surprise it turned out to be. Despite the lack of meat, the food was of great variety and yes, there was also some fish - not the normal mix of veg but a truly cosmopolitan selection. Then there were the 'Treatments'. Meditation, Yoga and Tai-Chi passed me by and the daily acupuncture was something I never expected to experience but then there was the daily two person massages - how amazing was that ! The accommodation was great for us thanks to the earlier post about taking a 2nd floor sea view room rather than a bungalow or pool facing room - for choice ask for room 9 or room 14. Also, if you fancy an change the hotel arranges frequent trips out, either in groups or on an ad-hoc basis with your own driver - Udaya, our driver is highly recommended, as we're all of the staff who paid us so much care and attention over the duration of our stay. I never thought I would say I would return to a vegetarian, daily acupuncture hell but sign me up - I'd very happily return and miss it already.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Nigel P
Dear Nigel,
Many thanks for your review which made me laugh! I am really glad that we even managed convert you to a veggie during your stay - I often find that people do not miss alcohol, coffee or meat as much as they thought they would. I think when it is not on offer it is much easier to forget. I am really glad that you enjoyed the treatments too. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I came to this resort for one reason - to relax and "recharge my batteries". At the time of arrival my health condition was definitely not the best - I was leading a very stressful life, was feeling anxious all the time, had digestion and skin problems and was feeling like I really needed a break. Two weeks at Barberyn Reef gave me that break I really needed - all my problems literally disappeared and I left all rested.

The service at the resort was of a high standard. The rooms - although basic, were clean and with all the necessary amenities - even electric mosquito repellants were included. The only problem was wifi - which was expensive and of a poor quality. There's also a library on site full of books in many languages and you will have a lot of time for reading if you take the treatments seriously. The atmosphere - very nice and calming and there is also a very lovely swimming pool filled with see water. Yoga classes are held every day (although quite often it starts at 6:30 am). The resort has free daily tours to nearby tourist attractions; otherwise a driver can be arranged.

The food was amazing, fresh and of high quality with heaps of fresh fruit and juice every day! If you are taking the treatment, you also get a special menu. However, not all the waiters are attentive and sometime they forget to check your prescribed diet, so you have to always remind them about it.

The treatments are prescribed after a consultation with your doctor and take around 2,5 - 3 hours each day. I believe, if you really take the treatments seriously and follow all the guidance (for instance, you are advised to rest, stay out of sun, avoid swimming and physical exercises after most of the treatments), you can really see the results. There I've met people who have been coming to the resort for over 20 years. Otherwise, you mights just have a relaxing holiday.

Also, beware of sandflies and always use citronella oil, which you can get for free from the Resort's medical centre, before going to the beach!

Room Tip: Most treatments advise against using air conditioners, therefore booking a room with one might not b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ignyteh
Dear Igne
Many thanks for your review. I am so glad that you felt rejuvenated and much better by the time you left. This is exactly the point of the resort and it is great to hear it working as it should. We look forward to welcoming you back soon,
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts, Sri Lanka
Steinbach, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I just returned from the Hotel and I cannot stop raving about the place. I never did an Ayurvedic Treatment before but this place changed my mind. We arrived on the 7 June early morning at the airport and got a pick up from a very friendly driver of the Hotel. It toke us 2.5 Hours, with a coffee break on the way, to the Hotel. We were welcomed by very friendly staff that seems to never say No to anyone or anything. After check in and orientation we got introduced to our doctor who was amazing and here we started with the "experience within". Acupuncture every morning, massage, and steam bath or herbal bath, everything you could imagine to make you healthy. The herbal medicine was specific for every guest and made on the premises.
The Hotel organizes tours and educational evenings to understand the Treatment etc.
Hotel drivers are available for a very reasonable price. (Watch out for the beach boys with the Tuc Tuc’s, they are crazy drivers and Tuc Tucs in SL don’t have insurance)
Nearby Townships are ok for shopping, a bit expensive but you can bargain.

We stayed in a Beach Villa but I think I will book a normal room next time since all the rooms are very well maintained and it does not make a huge difference to where you stay.

Meals are based on your diet and very tasty, mainly vegetarian with fish.
Some nights we enjoyed a dinner buffet and some nights we had set menu. In the morning and lunch time we got served a buffet what suits every taste.

All in all, the staff in the restaurant, the nurses, doctors, ground staff from sweeper over pool attendant… congratulation to all of you. You make your hotel and country proud. I can highly recommend this hotel for an Aryuvedic Treatment but go for two weeks not like me only one.

Barberyn... I will be back!!

Thanks for a pleasant holiday

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chefmike_13
Many thanks indeed for your comprehensive review of the resort. I am really pleased that you are now an Ayurveda convert! Thank you for the tips about the tuc tucs, they are indeed dangerous and we can organise taxis for guests no problem. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort for two weeks next time!
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts, Sri Lanka.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beruwala
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
Eden Resort & Spa
Eden Resort & Spa
#2 of 10 in Beruwala
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,502 reviews

Been to Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort? Share your experiences!