“Loved this experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beruwala
Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Beruwala
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I recently spent a month in Sri Lanka. The final 8 days I chose to spend at an Ayurvedic treatment center. After searching the internet I chose Barberyn Reef as it was listed as one of the oldest authentic Ayurvedic places in S.L. I could not have been more pleased with my choice.
The people were all warm and friendly, especially the therapists giving synchronous massage.
The initial and on-going two interviews with the doctor were informative and I felt she understood my specific concerns immediately.
Foods prepared varied daily and were both delicious and authentic--very fresh and well-prepared.
Treatments were lovely (massage) and interesting (cleansing & healing)
I left feeling I want to return on an annual basis. The only difficulty for me is that it is a very long air journey from the USA to Sri Lanka. I consider this a treatment center rather than a "spa"--so people need to understand the difference. My ocean front "villa" was a delight; I loved listening to the ocean surf all day and all night.

Room Tip: Chose an ocean front if possible
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Ann O
DorotheaBarberyn, Manager at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Ann,
Thank you so much for your review. I am really glad that you had a good experience with us in Sri Lanka. What a shame it is such a long journey to Sri Lanka from the States, we do hope you can come back again!
Kindest regards, Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I travelled to the beautiful Barberyn Reef Ayurvedic Resort in Sri Lanka with my sister in law who had previously been. Of the approximate 95 guests there, over 30 were returning clients.We were picked up from the airport and travelled 2 hours to the resort on the edge of the Indian ocean. We saw an Ayurvedic doctor on arrival and treatments and medicines were prescribed. My day started with a walk along the beach before breakfast and then an acupuncture session followed by a massage administered by two gentle Sri Lankan young women. a visit to the Herb garden and the application of poultices was followed by a herbal bath. The food is fabulously healthy and plentiful and all the staff throughout the resort are kind, helpfull and professional. Faultless! Our room was the best in the resort and had a small grassed area at the front and was just a few meters from the water. Optional tours are available at no cost to all guests as is Yoga, Tai Chi and Meditation. I spent hours doing nothing and felt invigorated. My only suggestions to improve an almost perfect time would be to ban smoking within the resort grounds, have free WiFi as the current system is frustrating to say the least, and to have some cultural music in the evenings rather that modern western! I will return. It was amazing and my body and soul benefited from the Ayurvedic treatments I received.

Room Tip: although more expensive, beach front rooms were lovely! There was no ac but ceiling fans worked well...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jane K

Dear Jane
Many thanks for your review, I am glad you had a successful time at the resort. Many thanks for your suggestions regarding the cultural music and the wifi. I will make sure your suggestions are considered. There is a plan to roll out a new system for the wifi so it is accessible in rooms, this will be shortly as for as I know so I will check up on this. Our one hope with charging for the wifi is that it would keep people off their phones and laptops so that they can concentrate on relaxing! More news soon on this. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sri Lanka.
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts, Sri Lanka.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

So much more than a resort. The location is just amazing right on the sea. The lush well tended, peaceful, gardens give you the impression you are really in paradise no matter how many guests are there. Beautiful fresh sea water swimming pool and some of the most delicious healthy food I have ever been privileged to eat.The staff are fantastic and that makes the treatments they offer really life changing for so many who come there to heal.It is rare to be able to find such a beautiful natural location that also provides such quality food and both Ayurveda and Acupuncture. This was my second time and sure not to be my last..I am happy to recommend it as the perfect healing holiday to treat yourself to. Dr Enid Hendershot Rishikesh India

Room Tip: Both of my visits I stayed in cottages facing the sea and they were marvelous.Never thought of AC. l...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ramanas

Many thanks for such a lovely review. I am so pleased that you continue to enjoy your experiences with us. We really look forward to welcoming you back to Barberyn!
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts, Sri Lanka

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went to this resort on my own for a peaceful holiday. And it did more than live up to expectations. Perfectly relaxing, calming and marvelous in many ways. The only downside was that there was no wifi in the rooms and the wifi cards that you have to buy to use in common areas are neither fast nor reliable.

Also it costs money to both make and receive calls, so for less than USD5 I got 7 days unlimited blackberry and data package with a local number...i spent a lot of time what's app'ing pictures of my dinner around the world. (though again coverage wasn't always greta in the rooms)

On the topic of rooms the one i stayed in for the first nights was lovely, simple but sweet, one floor up with a great view out over the indian ocean. They moved me for the last night to a growndfloor room with less ventilation that as a result had that dampish tropical smell. Avoid this if you can - its still nice but not as nice.

On the plus side the food was OMG amazing, the location on the sea was divine (the beach is the perfect length for a pre-breakfast barefoot run or an evening stroll). It sounds petty to whinge about the internet and you may think that wifi is not that vital (you're on holiday, so why check email right?), well for some one travelling alone there were hundreds of things that i wanted to look up and would have prefered to do so in my room under a mosquito net. EG what all the things I was eating were, where can I buy them before leaving, is it possible to buy then at home, history of ayruveda, local property prices.....

I was only there for a short while, with out any immediately addressable health concerns but i came away feeling very refreshed and relaxed - each day the aruvedic 'treatments' including massages, baths, accupuncture and all sorts of other things take up about 2+ hours. And the ladies administering this were all lovely. Though, becuase most people who go there are german they would often speak to me in German which was disconcerting but added an interesting layer to the communication.

Finally, the trip from the airport to Barberyn was almost 4 hours in the middle of the day and took only a little over an hour to go back again setting off at 3am for a 7:25am flight. As a result we had a little free time at 4am in columbo, so I convinced the driver to stop so we could buy a 'king' coconut to drink from the thousands ammassed by streetvendors selling them wholesale in the early hours to shop keepers around the capital. It was a highlight!

I enjoyed the day trips (though the prices in the shop at the resort are cheaper than the souvenier shops they take you too so check it out first) to Galle and the boat trip. The yoga was also good but is not every morning it alternates in the afternoons so if you want to go on a day trip you will miss this.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank mediarate
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I spent in a beautiful setting of Barberyn Ayurveda Resort two weeks in January this year. For me the experience was the life changing one. That's why I am not surprised why the resort has so many returning clients who have beeing visiting them for several years in a row. The setting is fabulous -hardly 10m from the sea. The sound of the sea wakes you up in the morning and put you asleep at night. Every day the sunset was very poetic and inspirational! I went there in serach of alternative treatment for my asthma and some other ailments as well as to detox my body and mind :)! I achieved it! I was off my steroid inhaler on the third day of my Auyravedic treatment, lost 4 kg and feel completely energised! The service at the resort was excellent, accomodation good and also a lot of healthy activities are put in place for your convenience. There you can enjoy yoga, meditation, go sightseeing or just chill out by the pool or the sea. I will definetly be back and will be spreading my word about a little paradise that I found for myself in Barberyn!

Room Tip: Beach front room is my preference
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank LondonTatyana
DorotheaBarberyn, Manager at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Tatyana
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay at Barberyn. We are so happy that you achieved what you set out to do with your stay at Barberyn. Really fantastic that you came off your inhaler whilst at Barberyn. I hope the effects continue long into 2013. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
With Kind Regards,
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is my forth stay here. I would strongly recommend Barberyn Reef to anyone who needs to experience total well being. The staff are wonderful, you feel cared for and pampered. I have come back after my 12 day stay feeling energized and renewed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear tassyalice
Many thanks for the kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to Barberyn soon!
Kindest regards,
Barberyn Ayurveda Resorts, Sri Lanka.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We came to Barberyn to detox and rejuvenate followng my wife's chemotherapy and my heart surgery in the preceding year. The results were beyond belief and we would recommend the resort as strongly as possible to anyone who wants to recover from any sort of trauma. We were there for 2 weeks and when we left our only regret was that we could not stay for another week. We are already planning our next visit in 2013.
To avoid repeating descriptions we would refer readers to Magicorchid's review which describes our own feelings exactly, except that we do not think a/c is necessary as nighttime temperatures are in the mid 20's all year and there is a big fan over the beds. Other than that minor point Magicorchid has said it all for us.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R0BINH00D69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beruwala
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa
Eden Resort & Spa
Eden Resort & Spa
#2 of 11 in Beruwala

Been to Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort? Share your experiences!