“Impossible to fault, awesome ayurveda experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beruwala
Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Beruwala
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I was new to ayurveda and in fact new to holidays that didn't involve hectic itineraries and lots of monuments and museums. After 10 days at Barberyn I'm a total convert and looking forward to going back every year while my legs can carry me.

The whole resort is set up for ayurveda and work together perfectly. As soon as the doctor prescribes a treatment, the restaurant and health centre staff know about it, and even the cleaners seem to know and prepare your room accordingly. That said, if you're not doing the ayurveda treatment, this probably isn't the hotel for you.

Amazing location right on the beach, and a beautiful beach at that. Ocean front rooms are literally just that - I could have thrown a chair off my balcony and hit the water. The plethora of locals selling tours and sarongs can be annoying at times, but they're friendly enough and tend to move on once they realise you're not buying.

I stayed in an ocean front room and these were very well done and worth the extra money compared to the cheaper rooms which were at the back of the hotel. Lots of natural woods, high ceilings, comfy beds. No TV or minibar, but these don't really fit the ayurveda experience anyway. No a/c, which was missed on some of the hotter nights, but the ceiling fan combined with the open doors was good enough to let the breeze through.

Treatments were excellent and all of the heath centre staff were incredibly attentive and very sweet. Food was all vegetarian, buffet lunch and half dinners (other half of the dinners were set menu). Huge variety in the buffets and delicious - I've never been into vegetarian but these guys know how to make it tasty. I ate like a pig but still lost weight!

Also on offer are tai chi, yoga for beginners and experienced, buddhist meditations, cooking classes, and excursions to nearby sights. All at no extra charge.

I came away feeling completely relaxed and refreshed. Can't recommend the resort, the location, the staff or the ayurveda experience enough, especially for those like me with busy jobs and annoying blackberries.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are the way to go
6  Thank Up1ntheair

Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was my second ayurveda experience and my first stay at Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort in Beruwala, Sri Lanka, and it was just perfect.

To begin with the hotel staff which is so lovely and caring, the excellent food (it is vegeterian and fish, but you won't miss meat at all), the relaxing treatments, the beautiful scenery (as it is located directly at the coast with a wonderful beach which is perfect for both swimming and long walks) to the rooms - everything is really perfect. Also they offer yoga lessons everyday, meditation, ayurveda cooking courses and introduction lessons to the science of ayurveda as well as excursions which are complimentary and much more. They even have there own herbal garden and herbal pharmacy where the natural medicine is prepared.

When I arrived I was totally stressed and had sleeping problems and some other minor problems like hard muscles in the back because of my office job and headaches resulting from that. Only after 10 days I was calmed down, totally relaxed and had no sleeping problems at all although I was a little jet-lagged in the beginning. Even when I was back in Germany I could sleep like a baby and felt in general much better, stronger and detoxified. I will definetely come back and plan to go there once a year to stay healthy and feel good.

I travelled alone and got shortly in touch with others travelling alone and the guests were all very nice coming from all parts of the world, but most of them from German speaking Europe. It is also recommendable for friends or couples, I even met a mother spending her holiday there together with her daughter.

This was really one of my best trips and it's not just travelling somewhere but also a trip to yourself. You have time to think about who and where you are standing in your life at the moment, where you want to go as this surrounding is perfect for helping to find yourself. It's also good to get over something. Also some treatments reveal repressed feelings or happenings so you get the chance to face and deal with them, at least you'll be aware of them.

Room Tip: the beach front rooms are perfect and beautiful.
3  Thank Juli595
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This was my first ayruvedic experience. Compared to other natural health practices the diagnois seems light - they didn't seem to probe too deeply or reveal new information. Having said that if want you want/need is to relax and recouperate and generally detox then I can't recommend it highly enough. The food is fantastic and actually it's very good value - I only really realised this once I had travelled around sri lanka a bit more - in fact I wished I stayed at the retreat for longer!

the beach is nice,, but there are touts - I don't know if the other beach is more private, but you can avoid the touts by staying within the grounds of the resort or lying by the pool.

the room I stayed in was basic but I think they are doing up all the rooms so this might be remedied.

there is only beginners yoga a couple of times a week so if you are looking for that then you might be disappointed
Overall thoguh I did feel very relaxed and refreshed at the end of my stay and would go back again

3  Thank steena100
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Coming to this place is like coming to paradise! The resort is situated right on the beach, with only a few meters to go for your morning swim or walk or yoga. We spent 8 days (and lost 4 kilos) in this lovely place, having the ayurveda treatments early in the morning, which left us the afternoon to read, relax and just enjoy being there. The therapists are doing a wonderful job of making you feel special, and although this is a big place with many "clients", and it sometimes feels like an "industry", it is still a good "industry", with no stress, and if you do have to wait for you turn, you can just lean back, listen to the birds singing, and relax - you're not going anywhere anyway.... The food in this place (almost vegetarian, but some fish a few times), is heavenly. I never though veggie food could taste so delicious, with such a variety of tastes. I just loved it all. Lot's of fresh fruit, and I never once felt hungry or carved for anything else. Try to get a beach front room if possible, where you can fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. The staff is friendly, and though most of the guests are either German or Japanese, we never felt out of place, as everyone speaks English. The resort offers yoga, tai chi and other activities almost everyday (free of charge), and you can also get a natural manicure, a facial, or a foot massage at any time, also free of charge.
If your are not used to locals when you travel, you might find the beach boys and the ladies selling sarongs on the beach a nuisance. We however decided to make friends with them all, and just bought a couple of sarongs the first day (they cost like 500 rupees). That way, we could remind them that we had already bought from them, and they didn't bother us at all - just pleasant "hellos" when we met (which is all the time as long as you like being on the beach). After our stay we had decided to go to Kandy, and the hotel management was very helpful with the planning and the rent of a car with a driver (approx 80 Euros per day). If you want to go on a trip, ask for a driver named Kasun. He is pleasant, informative when it comes to what you see along the road, but not pushy in any way, and not least, he is an excellent driver in the very crazy traffic in Sri Lanka

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Torunn65
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I'm writing this review because when choosing an Ayurvedic resort I couln't find enough information and/or reviews. This was my first experience and I decided to change hotels very last minute (the night before!), but thanks to the hotel staff they were very accomodating. In fact, first and foremost I think the hotel staff are who make this such as great place to visit. From the dining room to the reception to the treatment girls and guys, everyone is super friendly and genuinely nice. This is also the general trend you will find throughout Sri Lanka.

This particular location of Barberyn is not fancy or high-end but that is exactly the point...no distractions, just relaxation and treatments. Since it was my first time at an ayurvedic resort, i cannot compare to others but this seemed to do the trick over the 6 days that I stayed here in Nov, 2011.

The rooms are basic (for most people they will be too basic), i.e. no air con, celing fan, no fridge, hair dryer on request, etc. However the room did have a safe and hot water was provided. Many rooms have ocean view and the hotel is on the beach. The bathroom is spacious and has a standing shower. Again very basic but you need a standing shower to was off all the stuff they apply in the treatments.

Regular treatments consist of daily accupuncture, full body massages, steam room, herbal garden (where they apply ointments, oils and herbals pastes. Doctors consult once to twice a week depending on your length of stay. In addition, there are special treatments based on doctor recommendation. You will get a daily dose of medications and food selections based on dietary requirements and needs prescribed by the doctor. However, I found that the buffet, which is always vegetarian, was very good, diverse, and sometimes even offered not so healthy options including a selection of desserts, which was very nice :) Dinner is usually a la carte except for theme nights and they had a great local cultural show one night where the dancers were amazing.

As part fo the stay the hotel also offers excursions and brings in interesting people such as a palmist, buddist monk, etc. I would recommend this hotel if you are not looking for luxury but a break from life and an opportunity to recharge.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Like2Travell
Reviewed February 8, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Barberyn Reef Resort for our first Ayurvedic experience. Firstly we were picked up from the airport and the driver provided us with bottles of water and small pillows for our 3 hour journey to the resort, which was a nice touch. We arrived at the hotel and were quickly shown to our room. For the first 5 days we had a classic room which is a spacious room. We had booked a twin room however it had a double bed instead. The staff quickly resolved the situation by promptly bringing an extra single bed up to the room and fitting a mosquito net for it. The beauty of this room is you can sleep with the balcony doors open at night as we were on the 2nd floor, which is lovely when there is no a/c. The next morning we had a consultation with one of the Doctor's where they take detailed information about your health, discuss your treatment plan and explain how it all works. Then it was straight into treatment! 2 hours of wonderful massages, face masks, steam baths, you name it, its available. Every day you have the same 2 ladies who do your treatments and they look after you very well, I am so impressed with the staff at this resort. After my treatments every day, I would take my book (that I borrowed from their well stocked library) and relax on a sunlounger by the saltwater pool for the remainder of the afternoon, only moving to go to lunch. It was so relaxing. Lunch is a buffet, all vegetarian food with the exception of fish. Dinner is normally a set menu and I enjoyed these the most, who knew there could be so much variation with vegetarian food! Some nights there is a buffet dinner instead, the food is always good and healthy. You sit at the same table for your meals every day where you have your medication left by the Doctors so you can take it after lunch and dinner, and the friendly waiters bring you special tea's and juices etc that have been prescribed to you. It is extremely well organised. Breakfast is just as good too.

We were aware at the time of booking that we would have to move to a different room after 5 days due to availability and at the time of booking there was only Garden View rooms available, which we were not keen on having but accepted. We told the recpetion that if there was a cancellation for a Beach Front room, we would love to take one. The day before we moved, the wonderful staff had not forgotten our request and there was indeed a cancellation on a beach front room. So we moved to the Beach Front Room and although it was smaller than the Classic room, I loved the location and the raised terrace that you can sit on and watch the waves.

There are plenty Yoga classes and Tai Chi classes to attend and some meditation classes as well. The hotel organises excursions if you wish to partake, there is a well stocked library and a tailor shop in the resort. I thoroughly enjoyed my treatments every day, although I don't have any medical conditions, I only wanted to detox and rejuvinate therefore my treatments may not have been as intense as some others. The Doctors tailor your treatment to your needs.

During our stay it was my friends birthday. I can not rave about the staff enough. I asked the recepetion if we could organise a cake for her birthday and indeed she got a lovely birthday cake, flowers on our dining table in the restaraunt, a birthday candle and the best part, every single member of staff approached her to wish her many happy returns, I was bowled over by the sincerity and warmth of all the staff. Not only on my friends birthday either, I have read some reviews which have said the Dr's do their jobs half heartedly, I completely disagree, they are so friendly, considerate and caring, I felt they took wonderful care of all their patients. I cannot say enough how touched I was with all of the staff, its the small touches that count and they are all there. The pool attendant saved me my favourite sunlounger everyday and one day when I was in treatments, the heavens opened and it POURED down, he rescued my book for me (which I had left on the sunlounger) and he saw me later sitting on my terrace after my treatments so he came through the torrential rain with his umbrella and personally delivered one dry book to me. I almost burst with warmth.

The only negative thing I can possibly think of is that its difficult to walk on the beach with the beach boys and ladies that keep approaching you trying to sell you things. It is a public beach so it can't be helped.

I have left Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort feeling rejuvinated, relaxed and full of warmth which will stay with me for a long long time. I would definately return to this resort, with pleasure. Thank you to all the staff at Barberyn Reef for making our stay wonderful.

Room Tip: The Beach front rooms were my favourite, however the deluxe room was big and spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lady_Boeing
Reviewed December 14, 2011

After having read previous negative reviews about the Barberyn Beach Resort, I felt compelled to write a commentary for the first time. The stay at the Barberyn Beach Resort was one amongst the best I have ever experienced. However, I would recommend to only come here if you are serious about Ayurveda treatment. I would not consider the resort for just an overnight stay or a 'normal' holiday. The daily treatments are quite intensive and tailored to your individual needs. They include massages, steam baths, herb treatments and acupuncture. In addition, you are required to take herbal medicines, teas and special foods again tailored to your individual needs. Your diet may also be controlled and certain foods may not be available to you. However, worry not, we didn't starve. If anything, the food was excellent and plentiful each day with a doctor at hand to guide you if you had any questions with regard to your diet. All in all, if you are prepared to get into the spirit of the place and the treatments it offers, you will have the most enjoyable and relaxing stay possible.
MM, United Kingdom

Room Tip: Beach Rooms and Garden rooms view Sea view are best
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mon_Mitch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beruwala
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
Eden Resort & Spa
Eden Resort & Spa
#2 of 11 in Beruwala
Siddhalepa Ayurveda Health Resort

Been to Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort? Share your experiences!