“Beautiful and relaxing paradise”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beruwala
Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Beruwala
Stockholm, Sweden
“Beautiful and relaxing paradise”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We only stayed a few nights unfortunatly, without any ayurvedic treatments. However, you don't need more than a few minutes to feel the calm at this place.

We stayed in one of the small "cottages" facing the ocean ( not complete oceanview since there is a very low stone wall seperating the beach from the property, and also, a few trees are in the way), and it was superb. The interior decor is simple and minimalistic, but does not feel empty or naked.

Since the food is super healthy, it also means it is a bit bland for Sri Lankan food. It was lacking of salt and other spices for my taste, but still every dinner, lunch and breakfast was a pleasant experience.

The only downside had nothing to do with the hotel, but with the locals. Sri Lankans are usually very timid and shy, but always smiling and sweet. But since many of the areas around the south/west coast are attracting tourists during the winter, the locals at these places seem to get very pushy and agressive. Not agressive as in that they would hurt you, but that they will insist on following you up and down the beach when you just want to go for a quiet walk, and they try to sell you boatrides. (And it doesn't matter how many times you say no, or even if you just stop talking completely, they will still follow you and say it's because "they are buddhists".

But short and sweet: This truly is a paradise

Room Tip: The small "cottages" are amazing
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 24, 2011

This was a wonderful place to get an introduction to Ayurvedic food, medicine and massage. The staff were lovely and the hotel was simple but beautiful.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
sweden
Reviewed February 7, 2011

A beautiful tranquil resort where I felt safe, pampered and relaxed. It required more commitment than I expected, and took a few days to get into. Treatments take time, and then there is Yoga, Tai Chi, some tours, and of course all wonderful meals. Having no major health problem, it was a great way to detox, loose weight, meditate, read and meet people from all over the world. Barberyn is a friendly and generous place, you get fantastic value for money.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank lenaSweden
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed January 4, 2011

With the single reason being clearance of body and mind, resided from 12 to 24 December 2010. Very well organised pick up and drop off from to airport. The drive is kindly said… terrible. Once left the airport premised, the road takes all the way through the most dreadful parts of Colombo. Not that there are delightful places in Colombo, though. The road is hard, dangerous and extremely long. Two and a half hours seemed like a never ending road to hell with only one though in mind- how to survive the trip back.

Once at the hotel, welcomed with warm smiles of responsive personnel and fresh fruit cocktail. The treatments are delight of a kind! Consultations by the doctor with strict follow up of a daily routine. 45 minutes of full body massage with four hands followed by wrap ins, according to the program and health complaints, and a herbal bath. All in total 1.30 hour of a total relaxation. Acupuncture is optional and takes more or less 30 minutes. Kind hearted doctors are always available in house and are eager to answer all the questions and provide help if needed. Package of herbs (medicines) are prescribed and are to be strictly followed 5 times a day. People are sweet, kind, experienced, professional and treat you the best possible way.

Yoga, taj chi and delightful, healthy and varied diet is to complete the whole stay. Being a vegetarian, I found food to be better prepared than at any first class restaurant. Pity, they did not sell a book of recipes to take home. There are tons of unknown vegetables prepared at the most weirdest way to the European taste. Please note… you will enjoy it ONLY If you are open to experience different food you have ever eaten before.
Being not new to the Ayurvedic medicine, I found the total concept very wise and well positioned. Moreover, my health complaints were treated successfully!

BUT…

The hotel is located at the busy, very poor little village surrounded by another resorts. The beach is public, allowing locals to bother you any time they wish, trying to sell you all sorts of goods and services. There is no place to just chill out or meditate at the beach, since you are being constantly disturbed. Guards are not doing anything to deal with them. Taking a walk on the beach results in the same “battle” with locals against their unwanted propositions of services.

There was a construction site next door, so it was terribly noisy during the day, even at the pool area and in the herbal garden you heard the loud banging. Was very disappointed by this fact, since I got the impression from the marketing champagne of the hotel that it was totally isolated from the “civilisation”, which is NOT the case.
If you were mislead like myself by the thought of Indian ocean being the most delightful to swim, snorkel and dive, DON’T be any longer… The water is grey and not clean at all. I did not dare to swim in the ocean, but the pool with fresh sea water compensates this misfortune.

Conclusion: If you are searching for alternative medicine to some of the health complaints - this can be the solution!!! In case you are searching for total relaxation, having massages at the totally remote location- keep searching, you WILL find it somewhere else! Good luck!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
9 Thank Alcyona
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I visted Barberyn Reef Resort in Beruwela in October for 2 weeks. When I was planning to go , I was a little apprehensive as I was travelling alone but this soon lifted and I had the most fantastic time there.. it was the best experience I have ever had and which has stayed with me.

The drive from the airport was about 3 hours ... which was a very tiring considering that I had travelled overnight from London. But once at the resort , I was greeted very warmly by the staff at Barberyn.

I was given a beach front view with a fantastic view and sound of the ocean.... waking up to this evry morning was absolute bliss.

The team at the ayruvedic centre was extremely warm ,polite and welcoming from the staff at reception to the professionalism of the doctors and therapists who could not do enough and went out of their way to address any and questions or concerns. The synchronized massages,steam baths, herbal garden relaxation was an experience in itself and followed one after another like clockwork. The staff at the restaurant were extremely polite and catered to all needs . There was a hugh variety of healthy and nutrious food in abundance... lots of exotic fruits at breakfast.. throughly spoilt for choice.

Nothing was too much for any member of staff at the resort who went out of their way to aid and assist in any way. The owners of the resort, Manek and Kamini were always available to chat to and welcomed any feedback.

I met many wonderful from all corners of the world and have made some wonderful freinds.

I had a lot of "me time" to reflect and comtemplate on life and rejuvenate my energies

Barberyn Reef is a place I will be visting again and would recommend it with no hesitation

Thank you all at Barberyn!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Ranj21
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My husband and I visited the Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort in Beruwela and Weligama, Sri Lanka in September 2010 for our honeymoon. We had continuously heard great things about the two resorts and we weren’t disappointed to say the least; it was a fantastic holiday.

The hotels and surrounding backdrop were absolutely beautiful. At Berulwela there was the warm blue ocean and white sands. There is yoga on the rooftops which gives a spectacular view of the local area. In addition, Weligama boast a wonderfully created forest of trees within which the hotel is cleverly built. The rooms at both resorts were clean and authentic with a different feel.

Berulwela is about two hours south of Sri Lanka’s main airport and largest city, Colombo. Weligama is another hour and a half further south.

We were immediately impressed from the minute we landed and a very friendly driver welcomed us at the airport with a bag of goodies for our journey. The resort was exquisite, located right on the beach with lots of palm trees and wildlife. The ocean view from our room was magnificent.

The staff were not only friendly and polite but went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. They were passionate about making sure the guests had the best possible experience.

The ayurvedic team including the doctors, therapist and masseuse were welcoming, kind and willing to show us around their medical centre. The massage therapy was the best that we ever experienced. That is no understatement having been to Thailand, China, India and England for similar treatments. The 2-person synchronized massages were luxurious, and the herbal steam facials and herbal body packs were relaxing. The herbal bath, where a therapist repeatedly pours herbal water over your body was soothing.

The ayurvedic doctors were very professional and thorough, and they seemed to genuinely enjoy helping their guests. There were some guests that had come to the end of the line with Western treatments and had come searching for a more holistic approach to their illnesses and had found improvement in their quality of life.

All the food at Barberyn was vegetarian but we did not miss eating meat once during our stay here.
The food was delicious and healthy. The food was in abundance and all very appealing and tasty. The fruit and vegetable could be found in large quantities. We took advantage of eating all the exotic fruits on offer especially mangosteen and mangos.

All in all this was a fabulous holiday and could not have expected anymore. We had the most relaxing, healthy and happy holiday and we look forward to going back soon.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SNP60
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 17, 2010

What do you do without a pub or a party in the evenings? When oft times the only entertainment is a solitary flautist in the corner of the restaurant, a Pan-like figure lost in his world? Or the solo pianist who also seems to be playing for his own ears? At first, the lack of alcohol and other forms of sundown stimulants left me in a quandary. My frenetic life had slowed down considerably, and I was at a loss at what to do with myself in the evenings. But that emptiness made time for self contemplation and a return to wholesome basics, albiet in a supportive, salubrious and luxurious environment. Barberyn Reef Hotel in Beruwela, Sri Lanka gave me three weeks of sun, sand and a perfect Indian Ocean reef, generous buffets of nourishing food that seemed to have come from loving hearths, comfortable rooms and a genuinely caring staff.

And Barberyn gave me more. Indeed, self was the focus of a three stay at Barberyn Reef Hotel, where I not only indulged in three weeks of good wholesome living, but went through an intense detoxification programme while I learned the fundamentals of ayurveda, an ancient 5,000 year old science of wholistic living, and came away with professional certification to practice as an ayurvedic therapist. I am grateful to Barberyn for this experience that has reminded me that the body cannot be separated from mind and spirit, and that we can indeed look to the Earth for answers. For once, the stimulants that the golbal marketing machine incessantly conditions us to make centrestage in life were compelled to take a back seat. In their absence, and with the focus on mind body and spirit, this ayurvedic health spa transported me back to a bygone era where Earth nourished the body and body cherished the Earth. It reminded me about all that is best in Earth and life.

So, what happened in those three weeks?

I saw people healed. A European gentleman in his 60s had returned for a second time to treat his Leukemia. Three weeks at Barberyn in 2009 had cleaned up his circulatory system, restoring the balance between the red and white blood cells. But after his return to his native lands, leaukemia struck again, as well a wracking months long cough. His doctors had advised him to return to Sri Lanka, and after three weeks of intensive treatment, he was showing signs of recovery. A middle aged English woman was there for a months long stay to recover from the effects of an allopathic treatments for her skin cancer that had ruined her immune system. There were others who had come to attempt to reverse ailments like psoaris, and alcoholics and chain smokers who wanted to kick their bad habits. The medical staff told me that they are seeing an increase in the number of visitors who are coming to restore health to ravaged bodies, rather than just chill out in a health resort.

Food is a central ingredient to healing, and Barberyn puts out a huge spread of healing foods every day. If you are ill, diets are carefully controlled. Because the prevailing culture is Buddhist, you won’t find chicken and red meats or lobster on the menu at Barberyn. But they do serve fish. In general, the diet is fibre rich indigenous recipes, and presents a generous array of native vegetables and herbs. There are dishes you will only find in a Sri Lankan home, like gotukola mallung and jak fruit. Western fare is also available. The benefits of every dish is written by its side, while a doctor keeps watch to ensure that you stick to your recommended diet.

Most guests go through a careful detoxification programme based on their prakurti; the ayurvedic equivalent of an individual constitution, prakurti is based on the balance of three vital energies – vata, pita and kapha, known collectively as tridosha – at the time of birth. An experienced ayurvedic physician can by checking pulse determine the prakurthi at time of birth, and the present constitution which would have been influenced by lifestyle. A poor lifestye causes imbalances that lead to disease.Having determined this, the resident ayurvdic physicians tailor a health regimen to gently nudge the individual back to health.

The treatment includes a gentle oil massage, steaming and body packs. The therapists give a gentle massage because unlike other massage systems such as deep tissue and Swedish, ayurvedic massage (the resort prefers to call it therapy and not massage) is not massage per se, but a tool in a multi-pronged detoxification programme. It is gentle with the oils doing as much of the work as the therapist. Those seeking a more intensive massage experience would be disappointed, but I would say they need to give ayurveda a chance to work, because the healing comes gradually. I myself felt a pinch nerve in my neck ease considerably, and the weak right side gradually strengthening. It takes time to undo the damage that years of long hours at the computer and late nights and unhealthy diets cause to the body.

The programme of studies, An Intensive Course in Ayurvedic Therapy, taught me a great deal about myself and life that I wish I had known earlier. The tridosha premise makes sense in even the way it determines personality types and what foods will support such a personality and what foods will aggravate negative personality traits. The hotel owns extensive herbal gardens, and a walk through them with an ayurvedic physician drives home the immense ability of the Earth to heal and rejuvenate, and an understanding of why we should not tamper with nature, and why we should respect her. For students of massage who are seeking certification as ayurvedic therapists, thisis a good course to follow because Barberyn has a long 30 year history, being the first ayurvedic tourist resort in Sri Lanka,and in fact on of the first tourist resorts in the country. It was founded by Mr Sudana Rodrigo, an ayurvedic physician. One of the highlights of the course is its experiential component – all students have to take two weeks of detoxification treatment, so that they get first hand experience in the subject. This is indeed commendable, although it made the coursework very tight, fitting in treatment with lectures and practicals. But at the end of the day, it was worth the effort.

One thing that must be mentioned is the spirit of ayurveda in action at Barberyn Reef. The staff live it and breath it. They are gentle, kind, and caring. They go an extra mile most of the time. There are idiosyncracies but that calls for a lesson in patience, which is a quality in life that most people lack today.

Barberyn Reef is not the place for those who want a regular fun-filled vacation – it’s a placeto reconnect and revitalize, chill out and unwind, and heal. Apart from a few minor ailments, I wasn’t really ill when I stepped into Barberyn Reef. What I wanted was a holiday, and a therapists qualification. I had my holiday, and I got my certification, but I also got more. What happened in those three weeks has made me come away with an even deeper longing to correct my life, to be kinder to my body, and to make timefor spirit. And my deep connection with the Earth has been reaffirmed – more than ever now, I am aware of how sacred is our planet and its flora, and why we should work hard to protect her.

Thank you,Barberyn, for a beautiful interlude in my life.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Daleena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beruwala
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
Eden Resort & Spa
Eden Resort & Spa
#2 of 10 in Beruwala
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,525 reviews

Been to Barberyn Reef Ayurveda Resort? Share your experiences!